Tesla Full Self-Driving System's Beta Developer Settings Leaked

erek

[H]F Junkie
"In a Twitter thread, Green shares the status of internal states within the system while taking us on a tour of dozens of settings ranging from controls for FSD and Enhanced Summon to information about the Camera and Ultrasonics. The system also shows sliders for GPS, speed threshold, and other items that no one outside of Tesla should ever mess with. There's also an Augmented Vision area where developers can toggle what's seen on a Tesla display while driving. It includes toggles for Pretty, Developer, and Camera Image. Once Developer is enabled, it shows options for a whole host of data that can be shown on the infotainment system. This all may be information overload for the average Tesla owner, but it's a fun way to get more details on how a Tesla sees the world. Tesla being Tesla, the developer settings also have fun settings including California Stop (which generally means you don't bring the car to a halt but just slow down at a stop sign) and something called Chiropractor Adjust Skeleton, which is filed under the City Streets settings. What that means is a mystery, but both items are part of the FSD defaults in the developer controls."

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/...riving-systems-beta-developer-settings-leaked

"The future is now , Old man"
but on a serious note, self driving is the only way outside of full on public only transportation (which would also be self driving) that we can fight traffic in the future

In my not so humble opinion, the traffic fighting qualities of self driving are highly exaggerated.

It might help a tiny bit at the margins, but in no way does it transform busy roads into flowing ones.

That's just over-optimistic science fiction, even if you pull off all the promised technologies like close following trains of vehicles, etc.

In my not so humble opinion, the traffic fighting qualities of self driving are highly exaggerated.

It might help a tiny bit at the margins, but in no way does it transform busy roads into flowing ones.

That's just over-optimistic science fiction, even if you pull off all the promised technologies like close following trains of vehicles, etc.

Network the cars into the street lights and with eachother so traffic is distributed on alternate routes and traffic problems will essentially be gone.

Network the cars into the street lights and with eachother so traffic is distributed on alternate routes and traffic problems will essentially be gone.

Right up until a hacker takes over or there is a bug in the algorithm. That's not even tackling the random nature of adding in cars as people decide to go somewhere, randomly change their destination, or suddenly stop etc etc. Complex systems are much harder to predict and control.

Its never quite so simple.

Right up until a hacker takes over or there is a bug in the algorithm. That's not even tackling the random nature of adding in cars as people decide to go somewhere, randomly change their destination, or suddenly stop etc etc. Complex systems are much harder to predict and control.

Its never quite so simple.

I mean, sure. The same argument could be made for computers not being networked together. There are risks, but it's only a matter of time before the risks are worth mitigating.

I mean, sure. The same argument could be made for computers not being networked together. There are risks, but it's only a matter of time before the risks are worth mitigating.

False analogy. We can mitigate those risks today. We cannot accurately control traffic. Unless you'd like to not be able to use your car except during a specified prearranged window?

False analogy. We can mitigate those risks today. We cannot accurately control traffic. Unless you'd like to not be able to use your car except during a specified prearranged window?
Failure is the mother of success. Nothing gets done without attempting it. It's easy to simulate something on computers, it's different putting in practice.

Luckily it's not a self driving car. Even though it's called "full self driving." How that shit is legal is beyond me.

Maybe it's just so you can drive full of yourself, knowing that you are in a $100k "green" car? :p

When can I just send my truck to Home Depot and pick up wood and stuff?

Why do I need to be included in the equation?

Failure is the mother of success. Nothing gets done without attempting it. It's easy to simulate something on computers, it's different putting in practice.

My point was its not as easy as everyone always makes it out to be. "just automate all the cars, network them together, and poof no traffic!" Thats fantasy land. It will take decades to get to near there and we are just starting down that path now.

Luckily it's not a self driving car. Even though it's called "full self driving." How that shit is legal is beyond me.

Because there is a difference between what they have said and what you have interpreted it to mean. What you have is a failure to communicate effectively - which is exactly what this type of advertising relies upon. Should it be illegal? Nope, not their fault most people are dumb enough to not read the fine print or fully understand the technology.

Now if they said "full sell driving, have your car go pickup wood at HomDepot" then yes thats false advertising. It can't do that. It can however fully dive, in limited circumstances, the vehicle with no input from you. Hence they get away with it.

EDIT: Had they used the term "autonomous" then yes that would be illegal. As it is they are in the grey area of the English language.

Hard pass. Couldn't pay me to take a self driving car.
You won't have a choice in the future. Everything else will be banned in the name of safety and the environment. Only cars we be able to buy is dinky little electric cars. People will gladly buy them cause of the convince. Kids these days don't even want to get drivers licenses.

You won't have a choice in the future. Everything else will be banned in the name of safety and the environment. Only cars we be able to buy is dinky little electric cars. People will gladly buy them cause of the convince. Kids these days don't even want to get drivers licenses.

I highly doubt your dark dystopian future will come true. At least not in the way you suggest.

I mean, maybe in Europe, but not here. Bans like that don't tend to go over well, and tend to get politicians voted out of office. We don't like to be told what to do.

What is more likely to happen will be that the features become so ubiquitous that you can no longer buy a car without them. Essentially the market having that same effect. Sort of how like it is becoming more and more impossible to find a manual transmission, at least in any car you'd actually want to buy.

I'm just going to have to keep maintaining my 20 year old Volvo wagon. I might be able to get 40 more years out of it, at which point I likely won't be driving much anymore :p

Wake me up when I can sleep in my car while self-driving handles snow covered roads and orange-barrel season.

I highly doubt your dark dystopian future will come true. At least not in the way you suggest.

I mean, maybe in Europe, but not here. Bans like that don't tend to go over well, and tend to get politicians voted out of office. We don't like to be told what to do.

What is more likely to happen will be that the features become so ubiquitous that you can no longer buy a car without them. Essentially the market having that same effect. Sort of how like it is becoming more and more impossible to find a manual transmission, at least in any car you'd actually want to buy.

I'm just going to have to keep maintaining my 20 year old Volvo wagon. I might be able to get 40 more years out of it, at which point I likely won't be driving much anymore :p
Might not be in the near future but it will happen. Dumbass politician's like AoC are gaining popularity with the younger dumbass generations. Once the majority of them start to vote we will have a lot of chnages.

I'm curious, based on what is this your opinion? I mean just "I'll give up my car when you pry it from my cold dead hand" type of opinion? Or is it based on any logic? I mean if you look at places cars merge, a couple scared people backs up traffic, when people have a tendency to change lanes then immediately slow down for some reason, people having to look at everything that doesn't affect them *rubber necking" slowing down traffic, hell how many times have you been at a stop light some number of cars back you see it turn green, but you have the reaction to want to press the gas except for the fact there's a car in front you and perhaps you don't move at all before that light turns back red, then for whatever reason you move up a bunch of spaces. Hell how many times has there been traffic or something that had you screaming "You dumbass ..." or something similar?

Now sure I'll agree if you mix humans with robots, then it won't be much better because the human element is still there, and the robot needs to predict what cars are doing. And sure there's the computer element, hackers, software bugs etc, I'm not going to get into that argument though.

Might not be in the near future but it will happen. Dumbass politician's like AoC are gaining popularity with the younger dumbass generations. Once the majority of them start to vote we will have a lot of chnages.
I don't know what AoC's deal is, she's on the opposite coast of me to really pay attention to what she does. But if you really want to keep the system the way it is where politicians will say and do anything to keep their position of power whether they be red or blue where you as a voter are quite literally nothing more than a sheep that can be manipulated that will be no sooner cast aside to help one of their "friends" who helps keep them in power financially than I think you really need to re-exam which generation you want to call "dumbass"

I'm curious, based on what is this your opinion? I mean just "I'll give up my car when you pry it from my cold dead hand" type of opinion? Or is it based on any logic? I mean if you look at places cars merge, a couple scared people backs up traffic, when people have a tendency to change lanes then immediately slow down for some reason, people having to look at everything that doesn't affect them *rubber necking" slowing down traffic, hell how many times have you been at a stop light some number of cars back you see it turn green, but you have the reaction to want to press the gas except for the fact there's a car in front you and perhaps you don't move at all before that light turns back red, then for whatever reason you move up a bunch of spaces. Hell how many times has there been traffic or something that had you screaming "You dumbass ..." or something similar?

Now sure I'll agree if you mix humans with robots, then it won't be much better because the human element is still there, and the robot needs to predict what cars are doing. And sure there's the computer element, hackers, software bugs etc, I'm not going to get into that argument though.

I don't know what AoC's deal is, she's on the opposite coast of me to really pay attention to what she does. But if you really want to keep the system the way it is where politicians will say and do anything to keep their position of power whether they be red or blue where you as a voter are quite literally nothing more than a sheep that can be manipulated that will be no sooner cast aside to help one of their "friends" who helps keep them in power financially than I think you really need to re-exam which generation you want to call "dumbass"
That's the thing. Kids these days are easily manipulated and a certain side of the aisle is taking full advantaged with promises that are irresponsible.

I spent some years in the Ford design center. Self driving is only phase one of larger full automation starting mainly with the worst traffic areas. Once full autonomous safety is 99.9999% is achieved the next part begins. The worst interchanges/intersections get outfitted with smart controller/sensor arrays that intercept smart equipped vehicles and optimize/guide their passing thru the target zone for maximum efficiency. imagine a line of 50 cars each a foot apart navigating in unison accellerating and braking as one with vehicles splitting away and entering a train like drive unit seemlessly. Of course the human controlled cars will get de prioritized into non-auto, non-HOV lanes only. So they can pump their brakes, daydream while textimg and psycopathically pass other slowpoke humans to their hearts content ...and probably get to their destination after the autocar would. I dont live in Cali but i have visited and they are in dire need of something there to cure the driving insanity. Who wouldn't want to drive in a johnny cab like total recall lol

All it takes is for one massive hack for everyone to rethink that self driving cars are the future.
You could stage an unavoidable or unpredictable collision that happens so fast, that while the computers may be able to "detect" an incoming collision, you won't be able to overcome the laws of physics to get out of the collision path in the car.

In a perfect world this would be great! No more traffic lights, just continuous flowing traffic at scary close distances that humans would get anxiety attacks over lol.
But we don't live in a perfect world, anything networked can and will get hacked.

As long as it has a steering wheel where you an override the computer I dont see the problem. Now if there is no ability to override then FUCK NO. Not until we have made death obsolete. I know how shitty most code is...

I have more confidence in the evolution of self-driving car technology than your typical driver on the road.

Where I live the everyone working from home has eliminated the traffic problem for the most part. I hope that after this pandemic is over many of the people can still work from home..

Where I live the everyone working from home has eliminated the traffic problem for the most part. I hope that after this pandemic is over many of the people can still work from home..

Some companies are planning to force everyone to return to the office as soon as a vaccine is available. And force them to take it or be fired.

In a perfect world this would be great! No more traffic lights, just continuous flowing traffic at scary close distances that humans would get anxiety attacks over lol.
But we don't live in a perfect world, anything networked can and will get hacked.

Its not just the hacks. Traffic is basically chaos. How do you control that? Even with computers doing the driving it will still be chaos. You will have people wanting to start/stop trips randomly. Change destinations constantly. People, objects and animals crossing the road - sometimes NOT in crosswalks etc. Breakdowns. The list goes on.

We won't get rid of traffic jams. Even if every car drives perfectly we still have to account for all of the chaos that life brings and it will simply not be predictable. We might make it safe enough for cars to drive themselves autonomously but we dont have the computing power to orchestrate a traffic system in real time and I am not even certain its just about the sheer # of calculations you'd have to do. The system is inherently chaotic so the best we can probably do is to manage the chaos. Instead of two hour traffic jams maybe get it down to one hour?

Nope. I like driving. Get your slow ass self driver out of my way! (honk + bird) as I pass you.

My point was its not as easy as everyone always makes it out to be. "just automate all the cars, network them together, and poof no traffic!" Thats fantasy land. It will take decades to get to near there and we are just starting down that path now.
It depend what you mean by just and path, partly self driving cars did an across the united state mostly self controlled in the 90s

Remote controlled car experiment started in the 20s and at some point people thought that self driving one would start to be used in the 60s.

That just show how much of a challenge it is and how much able to do highway type of self driving is a small percentage of the self driving car challenge has a whole.

Has for the list of nope, getting to drink has you want and having your car driving you home seem a non brainer plus, as long has you have a manual mode for the sober driving....

It depend what you mean by just and path, partly self driving cars did an across the united state mostly self controlled in the 90s

Remote controlled car experiment started in the 20s and at some point people thought that self driving one would start to be used in the 60s.

That just show how much of a challenge it is and how much able to do highway type of self driving is a small percentage of the self driving car challenge has a whole.

Has for the list of nope, getting to drink has you want and having your car driving you home seem a non brainer plus, as long has you have a manual mode for the sober driving....

Yep. It's the corner cases that kill it.

Clear day, with light traffic, other drivers obeying all the laws, good road markings and signs, etc. and the problem is much easier.

Start throwing in inclement weather, snow, weird construction sites, unpredictable drivers cutting across traffic, road damage, missing signs, etc. etc. and it becomes a really challenging problem

Then there is this:

1607628964641.png

or

1607629025828.png

Just wait until this is your car...

Last edited:
Back