Tesla Finally Acquired The Tesla.com Domain

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to wonder how Elon Musk, after waiting a decade to get the Tesla domain, finally got it from the guy that owned it for almost 25 years. Money? Legal maneuvers? Forgot to reregister? Death?

If you want to find the websites for Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, you just add a “.com” to the name. But not so for Tesla, which had long been unable to acquire the user-friendly Tesla.com domain name. That’s finally changed, though no one is saying how. Tesla Motors acquired the Tesla.com domain from the Silicon Valley engineer who had owned it for 24 years, but had let it sit unused for much of that time.

If we see any activity related to Nikolai Tesla (the inventor) in the coming months, like activity related to the museum that's hopefully going to get constructed (and to which Elon Musk has already donated a lump of cash to) or something of a similar nature, this could probably be the reason the previous owner of the domain eventually gave it up. From all reports he's a big fan of Nikolai Tesla and perhaps, just perhaps it wasn't just a cash thing that caused him to finally let it go: perhaps Elon Musk and Tesla Motors agreed to something to ensure Tesla's name (the inventor) finally gets some of the recognition he's due after all these years.

Yes a lot of people know his name now, not just because of the car company (which Musk is all too happy to say borrowed his name for), but Nikolai Tesla still deserves far more recognition than he's ever actually received.

I like the way you think Tiberian. The name Tesla will forever be immortalized because of Nikoli not Musk.

I hope "Tesla" doesn't get diluted to mean electric car. I saw an older couple talking about a Nissan Leaf and referring to it as "one of those Tesla cars".

I hope "Tesla" doesn't get diluted to mean electric car. I saw an older couple talking about a Nissan Leaf and referring to it as "one of those Tesla cars".

That's no different from the same type of practice where every smartphone is considered an iPhone, every tablet is considered an iPad, and so on. Brand name and brand product recognition gets into the brain and it just all ends up being the same for the more ignorant or less up-to-date folks.

Marketing, marketing, marketing. :p

elon-musk-featured.jpg

I know there is that newer rule that if you try to charge a company a lot of money for a site that you just lose the site and it goes to the other person if they can show they have far more right to own it. So say for example I bought Walmart.us before Walmart did and said I will sell you this for $1 million and I had nothing on the page. I would just have the domain taken away and given to Walmart as it is obvious I didn't really want or need the site I was just trying to screw them out of having it. I wonder if they were able to use that rule or something like it to there advantage where they can show the current owner isn't using the domain for anything so they were able to get it from them. Unless that rule only applies if you try to ask for money.

So say for example I bought Walmart.us before Walmart did and said I will sell you this for $1 million and I had nothing on the page.

Not all domains are used for HTTP. My primary domain, for instance, is email-only.

If we see any activity related to Nikolai Tesla (the inventor) in the coming months, like activity related to the museum that's hopefully going to get constructed (and to which Elon Musk has already donated a lump of cash to) or something of a similar nature, this could probably be the reason the previous owner of the domain eventually gave it up. From all reports he's a big fan of Nikolai Tesla and perhaps, just perhaps it wasn't just a cash thing that caused him to finally let it go: perhaps Elon Musk and Tesla Motors agreed to something to ensure Tesla's name (the inventor) finally gets some of the recognition he's due after all these years.

Yes a lot of people know his name now, not just because of the car company (which Musk is all too happy to say borrowed his name for), but Nikolai Tesla still deserves far more recognition than he's ever actually received.
Small irony is that Musk is more like Edison than Tesla, as a marketer, bolster, manager of technology than a hardcore scientist. Not that that is a bad thing, but unfortunately to build up Tesla people felt the need to teardown Edison.

Not all domains are used for HTTP. My primary domain, for instance, is email-only.

I guess I should have stated not used and not nothing on it. Basically holding a domain for no reason other than to keep somebody with a more valid reason from holding it

I guess I should have stated not used and not nothing on it. Basically holding a domain for no reason other than to keep somebody with a more valid reason from holding it

Yup, domain squatting. It's a full time job for some people.

Small irony is that Musk is more like Edison than Tesla, as a marketer, bolster, manager of technology than a hardcore scientist. Not that that is a bad thing, but unfortunately to build up Tesla people felt the need to teardown Edison.

Tesla Motors is named that because Tesla invented a lot of the stuff their products are built-upon. It wasn't named Tesla because Elon Musk thinks he's like the man.

True, Elon Musk shares some of those traits of Edison and isn't like Tesla at all (Tesla was an inventor, looking to do good). But where the comparison deviates is that Edison was also a horrible person. So it's not people trying to build up Tesla by tearing down Edison, it's the fact the man was a complete asswad, and people are finally taking notice of that.

Back