Tesla Drops $35,000 Price From Model 3 Page

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
As of today you will no longer find the $35,000 price listed for the Model 3. Ars Technica contacted Tesla about this change and all they could get out of Tesla is they plan to offer one for that price in the future. That future time frame wasn't provided. I think most of us that have followed the Model 3 debacle know why they removed the price and that's because they can't build them in great enough numbers yet. I believe they're going to make the more expensive models for a while so they can make a profit and dig the company out of the debt hole that it's in. Once that occurs we might see $35,000 Model 3's for sale.

Tesla reached a "5k/wk" production rate for the Model 3 at the end of June, so that would have implied that $35,000 Model 3's would become available some time in the fourth quarter of 2018. But the new "6-9 month" guidance for the standard battery version of the Model 3 suggests that it will now be early 2019 at the earliest before anyone can buy the low-end model.

Not surprised. I thought that price was for the initial preorders and wouldn't be reintroduced until the economy of scale came into play.

On a side note, does anyone else see this image with every news post on [H]? Been like this on Android for a week (Firefox and Chrome).

image_not_available_small.png

If they're gonna open reservation to all, I don't think putting 35k option for all to see is a good way to market current stock, would make sense to move it out of sight until it's actually available. That would be my reasoning on the business side of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Not surprised. I thought that price was for the initial preorders and wouldn't be reintroduced until the economy of scale came into play.

On a side note, does anyone else see this image with every news post on [H]? Been like this on Android for a week (Firefox and Chrome).

View attachment 88804
Thought it was just cause i was using data saving. Guess not

IOS is fine.
Also I priced the fully loaded version.. It came out to $67k.
If i had the cash I would do it.

eh it's been known all along since the started selling the Model 3 that the 35k version would be available in the 2019 time-frame.

In either case I'm loving my Model 3

Those new tariffs can't be helping.

Lol. Go to SoapBox.

I like these cars. I do wonder if any money is saved when comparing fuel cost on a similarly sized vehicle and the electricity cost on this.

Those new tariffs can't be helping.
Sure they can, by having a greater impact on the cost of building Tesla's competition than they do on Tesla.
Anyone building things in a country using materials from that country benefits from that country's tarifs.
That's why countries impose them.

I like these cars. I do wonder if any money is saved when comparing fuel cost on a similarly sized vehicle and the electricity cost on this.
Similarly sized? Not if you look at cheap similarly-sized gas cars.
But if you look at luxury similarly-sized cars, you save money the instant you buy it, fuel cost be damned.

If your automotive world revolves around the economics of owning a car, a Tesla is not for you.

Similarly sized? Not if you look at cheap similarly-sized gas cars.
But if you look at luxury similarly-sized cars, you save money the instant you buy it, fuel cost be damned.

If your automotive world revolves around the economics of owning a car, a Tesla is not for you.

My automotive world revolves around my work truck that costs me nothing. Now, when I take weekend trips to somewhere, having a nice comfy ride is great. My fusion has a fuel cost of $0.16/mi. If the Tesla is less than that, then sweet

Now, when I take weekend trips to somewhere, having a nice comfy ride is great. My fusion has a fuel cost of $0.16/mi. If the Tesla is less than that, then sweet
If the fuel cost of the Tesla were $0, you'd to drive it over 200,000 miles to recover the $35K purchase price.
Assuming your weekend get-a-ways average, say, 500 miles round-trip (8+ hours of driving) per week, it would take you about 8 years.

But it's your money. Heck, I've spent $35K on a single vacation, maybe I should skip a vacation or two and buy one of these.

Tired of waiting. Besides, the tax credits are gone already, used by the rich who bought the premium trim model. I am just going to buy the new Kia Niro when it's released this year. It has a 200+ mile range and will cost $35-40k and will actually be available for sale.

Musk is only human. Give him a break. How many of you can fire up multi billion dollar ventures in your 30s?

Anyways my statement isn't at you guys. Just a general sense.

He is an innovator. No one else was able to make electric cars as good as he and there are other literal juggernauts like Ford and Chrysler that have invested little in truly advancing alternative energy transportation.

But since we are becoming more and more selfish and unappreciative ego maniacs as humanity we bitch waaaaay more than we praise and appreciate. I am busting my ass to be a higher earner so I can buy 500 acres out in Alaska and escape humanity other tha the bare minimum society requires me to interface with.

But I admit I have a limited knowledge of the car industry and an even more limited foundation to argue my point. But at least I'm positive for a damn change.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting. Besides, the tax credits are gone already, used by the rich who bought the premium trim model. I am just going to buy the new Kia Niro when it's released this year. It has a 200+ mile range and will cost $35-40k and will actually be available for sale.

I got tired of it too. Opted out for a bmw i3 as the range isn’t a big concern for my daily driving. Took advantage of some great discounts that dropped the actual price to a tad bit under 40k. Free charging at work saves me close to 2k a year.

Lol. Go to SoapBox.

Given 50-50 split between city and highway, the EVs today cost 80-90 cents to go 25 miles. Costs can vary based on your location and time of day you are charging. So yes, you do save on gas, oil changes, etc, though the initial costs are higher.

Sure they can, by having a greater impact on the cost of building Tesla's competition than they do on Tesla.
Anyone building things in a country using materials from that country benefits from that country's tarifs.
That's why countries impose them.
You are assuming that the local materials are cheaper and can meet the demand.
Tariffs are a tax on the people.

“Fair trade, you see, is raising taxes massively … on everything you purchase that has steel, aluminum, or lumber in it. That, they say, is fair trade ’cause it will punish the Chinese. It doesn’t punish the Chinese — it punishes you!” Levin exclaimed.

“And where do you think that money goes?” continued Levin. “Two places: It goes into the federal government, and these favored industries are able to jack up their prices.”
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo..._are_an_unpatriotic_tax_on_all_americans.html

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28302/yes-tariffs-are-still-stupid-heres-why-ben-shapiro

My automotive world revolves around my work truck that costs me nothing. Now, when I take weekend trips to somewhere, having a nice comfy ride is great. My fusion has a fuel cost of $0.16/mi. If the Tesla is less than that, then sweet

When i calculated it a few years ago with gas around $3.5/gal iirc:
A 2005 Prius cost around 8 cents per mile
A 2012 Nissan Leaf cost around 2 cents per mile w/ 12 cents / kWh electricity (national average)

In my Model 3 I get an average of 220 watts per mile. I pay 8 cents per kWh. 0.08 * 0.22 = 1.8 cents per mile. 12 cents / kwh would be 2.6 cents per mile.

I installed solar panels and I balance out over the year so cost of driving is already covered.

Last edited:
There's no reason to build the cheap ones when people are lined up for 5 months to buy the expensive ones. The only question is why this didn't happen last year.

I am busting my ass to be a higher earner so I can buy 500 acres out in Alaska and escape humanity other tha the bare minimum society requires me to interface with.
I work from home, and 99.99% of my interaction at work is electronic, mainly email. The rest I have to travel for. So one possibility for me, in a few years, is to sell my house, buy a self-driving Winnebago with a connection to low-latency satellite or cellular broadband, and live and work wherever I feel like telling the Winnebago to go on any particular day.

“Fair trade, you see, is raising taxes massively … on everything you purchase that has steel, aluminum, or lumber in it. That, they say, is fair trade ’cause it will punish the Chinese. It doesn’t punish the Chinese — it punishes you!” Levin exclaimed.

Then who are the Chinese punishing with their retaliatory tariffs? Themselves?

US: We're going to enact tariffs on Chinese goods, to punish ourselves.
China: How dare you! Just for that, we're going to enact tariffs on US goods, to punish ourselves! Bwah ha ha!​

Uh, no, I don't think that's how it works.

I got tired of it too. Opted out for a bmw i3 as the range isn’t a big concern for my daily driving. Took advantage of some great discounts that dropped the actual price to a tad bit under 40k. Free charging at work saves me close to 2k a year.

One of the dealers I work with rolled up in an i3. Pretty sweet car! I love the wood dash on his, and the dash looks super futuristic! (hopefully it's easy to use/navigate) The only thing I didn't like was the 80 mile range on electric...I commute 45-50 miles each way to work and back. He bought his used for $17k, and it was in perfect shape...and only 3 years old (lease return). That made me VERY jealous! :)

Next week the $35,000 will return. It will have a 150hp 4 cylinder engine. ... if they can get the new tent up and going in time.

He is an innovator. No one else was able to make electric cars as good as he and there are other literal juggernauts like Ford and Chrysler that have invested little in truly advancing alternative energy transportation.
I love Musk, but I do question how much of an innovator he really is. Is he the Steve Jobs type of innovator where he pays people to come up with the ideas to make things work? Or does he actually roll his sleeves up and get his hands dirty.

That said, it wasn't that no one was able to make electric cars as good as he, it's that no one cared to do so. The "juggernauts" could have easily crammed a boatload of LiIon batteries into a car, but they didn't, I mean they have what 5 to 10 times the energy density by mass of lead-acid. In fact if you look at the EV1 story, wouldn't surprise me if there was some collusion there to crush any sort of mass produced vehicle, maybe some back room meeting between fat cats with evil criminal moustaches all came to an accord. That said, the hobbyist market has been going EV nuts well before Tesla became a thing. If anything what Musk has done is putting a lot of resources behind this where as the "every man" did not have the resources of selling off a PayPal level of wealth, so for that I absolutely applaud him in doing the man has a vision like many other men, however he has the financial resources and pull to push to things through and make it happen. I would like to think that I would do similar things if I had billions at my disposal rather than sitting on a private island playing with my belly button in the water.

But since we are becoming more and more selfish and unappreciative ego maniacs as humanity we bitch waaaaay more than we praise and appreciate.
I'm not so certain that we are becoming that, I think we always were that, we just never had an out like the internet. How many people read the paper and bitched and moaned about politician X, or business leader Y, in a story they read well complaining in your living room simply doesn't carry the audience as complaining in some "public" forum.

Then who are the Chinese punishing with their retaliatory tariffs? Themselves?

US: We're going to enact tariffs on Chinese goods, to punish ourselves.
China: How dare you! Just for that, we're going to enact tariffs on US goods, to punish ourselves! Bwah ha ha!​

Uh, no, I don't think that's how it works.

Ha ha, good one. By the way, China has been punishing themselves with tariffs on US goods even before this so-called trade war. If erecting tariffs on imports is considered as trade war, then China has started this war long before the US.

I work from home, and 99.99% of my interaction at work is electronic, mainly email. The rest I have to travel for. So one possibility for me, in a few years, is to sell my house, buy a self-driving Winnebago with a connection to low-latency satellite or cellular broadband, and live and work wherever I feel like telling the Winnebago to go on any particular day.

That's sounds refreshing for real! Maybe one day.

It doesn't really matter how much you can't buy a car for.

It was important at the start because this was supposed to be their affordable mass-marketable EV, and it's not.
To me an affordable car ends at 15.000, so it doesn't change much if it is 35 or 45 or whatever, 35K is well outside the realm of affordable for anyone here in eastern europe.

To me an affordable car ends at 15.000, so it doesn't change much if it is 35 or 45 or whatever, 35K is well outside the realm of affordable for anyone here in eastern europe.
I wonder how many Teslas are sold in Eastern Europe? What about all EV's sold in the region?

I wonder how many Teslas are sold in Eastern Europe? What about all EV's sold in the region?
Officially? I think zero, there is no distribution network here. You have to go to germany or austria and import it as a private citizen. So any teslas running in the former eastern block are probably shown as sold in a western country in the statistics. But I could be wrong.

This sounds much like the decision process Ford went through when they decided to exit much of the sedan market. Why make a vehicle with a price point of $25k when folks are lining up to buy all the $50k+ SUV & Pickup vehicles you can produce? Especially when the difference in production costs is much less then the 25k+ difference in selling price.

Back