Tesla disables feature after car is purchased, claims feature 'wasn't paid for'.

As long as the (subscription based) feature(s) are removed before it is resold, and not advertised as an included feature, who cares? The new owner can just resubscribe to the sub based service. My car's VPN has a GPS built in. I have to buy a sub to get map updates. If I sell my car, the new owner will have to buy the same sub to get any new map updates.

It might seem like a money grab, but disabling a service until they are sure the update process stays in place for the new owner makes some sense. Joe sixpack buys used vehicle, never registers for updates, dies 2 years later in an accident caused by a fault they fixed but he never received, they still get sued. This scenario I can see them wanting to avoid. DIsabling self-driving until new owner registers/subscribes (whatever the process is) would be good legal protection.

Just saying there is always more to the story, think before accepting some crap you read on the internet as (complete) truth.

It's not a service, it's a feature that wasn't advertised as a subscription service. If Tesla wants to do this, they better be upfront about it. And if the original owner never updated the system, what's the difference between the original owner getting into an accident with the system and the new owner getting into an accident with the system?

It's not just FSD that's being disabled, Ludicrous mode, a $20k option, is being disabled as well. It's like your car having its 19 speaker option disabled to only 2 speakers until you pay for the option all over again. Or the HUD option disabled until you pay for it again. It's dishonest at best, and really more of a complete scam.

It's not a service, it's a feature that wasn't advertised as a subscription service. If Tesla wants to do this, they better be upfront about it. And if the original owner never updated the system, what's the difference between the original owner getting into an accident with the system and the new owner getting into an accident with the system?

It's not just FSD that's being disabled, Ludicrous mode, a $20k option, is being disabled as well. It's like your car having its 19 speaker option disabled to only 2 speakers until you pay for the option all over again. Or the HUD option disabled until you pay for it again. It's dishonest at best, and really more of a complete scam.

Note that it would be a different matter if Tesla called it a subscription up front!

On the Ludicrous mode, if ti was paid for once, I agree it would be complete bullshit to disable it when car is sold, but ONLY if it is advertised as having it. Remember, the situation that prompted this thread was a case where Tesla themselves re-sold a used Tesla, it was advertised as having the features, then they got removed, unhappy customer, then they restored it.
If they want to resell their own cars and change up the features because they are software, again, who cares as long as you know what you are getting. In this one case where they fucked up, they made it right.

*points likely left out of ouraged thinking -> price lowered by $20k on a used Tesla after it no longer includes Ludicrous mode* If you don't pay for it, you can't bitch about not getting it.

The new owner can just resubscribe to the sub based service. My car's VPN has a GPS built in. I have to buy a sub to get map updates. If I sell my car, the new owner will have to buy the same sub to get any new map updates.
Now take this a step further. You sell the car and the maps that are already installed get removed, and a step beyond that the software that runs the GPS gets disabled, sure the hardware to make it work is there but the new owner did not pay the $2000 upcharge for the GPS, so if they want it they need to pay the car company for it. And that's basically what Tesla is doing

On the Ludicrous mode, if ti was paid for once, I agree it would be complete bullshit to disable it when car is sold, but ONLY if it is advertised as having it. Remember, the situation that prompted this thread was a case where Tesla themselves re-sold a used Tesla, it was advertised as having the features, then they got removed, unhappy customer, then they restored it.
If they want to resell their own cars and change up the features because they are software, again, who cares as long as you know what you are getting. In this one case where they fucked up, they made it right.

*points likely left out of ouraged thinking -> price lowered by $20k on a used Tesla after it no longer includes Ludicrous mode* If you don't pay for it, you can't bitch about not getting it.

Already posted in this thread but if you were too lazy to read through the thing: https://jalopnik.com/teslas-removal-of-features-on-used-cars-appears-to-be-i-1842382846

One Tesla owner who reached out, Brett, bought a 2018 Tesla Model X P100D from a Tesla dealership in March 2019. Because the car was a showroom vehicle and the previous year’s model, he got it at a bit of a discount, and the car was equipped with Ludicrous Mode (he confirms it was available as an option in the menu), which was further evidenced by the badging on the car, which featured an underlined P100D badge, which is normally used to indicate a car equipped with Ludicrous Mode from the factory.
Brett added FSD to the car for $5,000 extra, though there were issues with Tesla’s systems knowing he had paid for that option. In the process of confirming he had indeed paid for FSD, Tesla decided he didn’t really pay for Ludicrous Mode (which was originally a $20,000 option) and removed Ludicrous Mode from his car.

I sell dozens of Teslas a year, and sold my father in law a Model X P90D with ludicrous speed package. 60 days after the purchase of the car, Tesla removed his ludicrous speed package. Upon complaints to them they said he never paid for it. We have video evidence and multiple pictures of the vehicle with it. They even removed the line under the P90D. I am still shocked at these acts.

I had been considering buying a Tesla, but I will not support a company that pulls these kinds of acts, on top of not liking Elon Musk as a person.

I had been considering buying a Tesla, but I will not support a company that pulls these kinds of acts, on top of not liking Elon Musk as a person.
Agree, it seems we've lost the "licensing war" with computer software a long time ago. Absolutely can not stand for this in the realm of other physical goods just because everything is connected/computerized in some way. As I mentioned, buy a car with GPS... nope you get the hardware, the software to make it run costs extra if you buy the car used. However all that surround sound? Largely software driven you don't get that. What if every Samsung TV of a particular size had the same exact hardware, and it simply was a matter of using software to enable it then when you try to sell it you don't have a top of the line TV you have the bottom of the barrel Walmart special. Tesla purposefully software locking battery capacity in cars? Seriously WTF. If I bought a lower end model I'd be pissed to know there was extra battery capacity there and I can't use it, not because I can't use it, but because I figure it'd be even cheaper if they didn't give me those 20% more physical batteries.

If Tesla now lower theirs used vehicle price by said option amount.

So example:

Model X used Current Market Price: $80k includes FSD 7k, and ludicrous mode 20k

model X after this change. Is $53K. You can add those two features.

I could see that happening ideally. However knowing the history of teslaonmics, theyre probably gonna be like price remains the same, were just gonna make those features optional extras at full market rates as the software doesn't depreciate

If Tesla now lower theirs used vehicle price by said option amount.
This is less about Tesla selling used cars, and more about the people who bought said car with said features who are effectively being told "you don't own them so you can't sell them"

Back