Tesla disables feature after car is purchased, claims feature 'wasn't paid for'.

Yep. Rich Rebuilds has become just another FUD peddler. Smart guy, but fuck off with frankensteining salvage/wreck Tesla's with mix and match parts to flip for profit, and then trying to create perception like Tesla is trying to disadvantage all owners somehow.

No kidding a Tesla isn't going to be MoD FrIeNdlY, when a mistake or oversight can kill you and other people. And then the headline will not be "Tesla hacked by hobbyist in his garage blows up supercharging station", instead it'll be the predictable "Another Tesla Explodes!?" with flaming pictures, and the TSLA shorts masturbating violently.

Rich rebuilds is a bloody parasite. Bitches about Tesla not giving access to parts and repair guides. Then almost burns down his buddies shop while bypassing all Tesla’s battery safety features and repairs his car with a kitchen knife.

He is the very reason that morons who think they know anything should be banned from messing with EVs. They will kill you in an instant, destroy property or kill someone else if you do a half assed cheap repair and sell it on.

One of the reason I will not support right to repair, everyone thinks they know more than they do. Most people are fkn morons and will do anything to save a buck.

That is a fucking terrible reason. If people want to be morons and kill themselves repairing something, fuck 'em.

Yeah and if they do a half assed repair and kill or injure someone else? Tesla will be the first to get the blame.

Yeah and if they do a half assed repair and kill or injure someone else? Tesla will be the first to get the blame.

You do realize that right-to-repair laws would force companies to make devices user serviceable in a safe way, right?

Meanwhile the 99.99999% of other RTR advocates out there wishing they could fix their iPhone or something substantially less lethal than a Tesla are pissed as fuck because the 0.00001% of repairable items are legit dangerous

One of the reason I will not support right to repair, everyone thinks they know more than they do. Most people are fkn morons and will do anything to save a buck.

Your stated stance is the literal opposite of your stated reason for the stance. These people struggle because manufacturers refuse to release the information these people need.

What do you think makes Tesla's mechanics so special? Did Sir Musk personally anoint each one by tapping his dick on their shoulders? The Holy Tesla Mechanics are just the same mechanics as anywhere else but they have been granted access to Tesla's repair information. Part of Right to Repair is ensuring that the information is made available.

The fuck are you talking about? Autopilot is an UPGRADE OPTION not a subscription service. Also, obviously the answer is the driver that should be paying attention, like the car tells you to do. No, no one signs any waivers. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Before enabling Autopilot, you must agree to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times” and to always “maintain control and responsibility for your car.” Once engaged, if insufficient torque is applied, Autopilot will also deliver an escalating series of visual and audio warnings, reminding you to place your hands on the wheel if insufficient torque is applied. If you repeatedly ignore these warnings, you will be locked out from using Autopilot during that trip.

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Before enabling Autopilot, you must agree to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times” and to always “maintain control and responsibility for your car.” Once engaged, if insufficient torque is applied, Autopilot will also deliver an escalating series of visual and audio warnings, reminding you to place your hands on the wheel if insufficient torque is applied. If you repeatedly ignore these warnings, you will be locked out from using Autopilot during that trip.

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

That's basically an EULA the car itself forces you to sign, isn't it? Not really a waiver at the time of purchase.

Why did you bold the part about updates? That has nothing to do with anything.

Why did you bold the part about updates? That has nothing to do with anything.

To suggest it's a service, is my guess. But unless you're paying a monthly fee, it's not really a service. You pay $7000 or whatever up front for the feature and lifetime updates, right? That makes it not a service. (I don't know, I don't have a Tesla.)

To suggest it's a service, is my guess. But unless you're paying a monthly fee, it's not really a service. You pay $7000 or whatever up front for the feature and lifetime updates, right? That makes it not a service. (I don't know, I don't have a Tesla.)

Its basically like any upgrade on any car. Like, say, if you had to pay extra for a GPS upgrade. The GPS app would get OTA updated for maps, bug fixes, etc.

Its basically like any upgrade on any car. Like, say, if you had to pay extra for a GPS upgrade. The GPS app would get OTA updated for maps, bug fixes, etc.

Yeah. I wouldn't call that a subcription/service/SaaS in the modern sense, because to me that means you pay a monthly fee for ongoing access, and if you stop paying, you lose the functionality, just like cable.

Did Sir Musk personally anoint each one by tapping his dick on their shoulders?
Not going to lie, I'm not dismissing that as a possibility.

**edit**
Think things through a tiny bit before you jump to conclusions, or just look at the cost of service for a decent mechanical watch - last time I sent my Breitling in for service it cost $900 just to crack the back of the case open and clean/oil the movement. Compare that to $395 for the same service (in less time) from a very skilled independent shop (IWW fwiw but they wouldn't touch my model since they couldn't get parts and didn't want to risk service without being able to replace anything) and... yeah Right to Repair laws aren't just about idiots wanting to bridge the contacts on their Prius battery. Or go talk to someone who owns a modern tractor, the level of stupidity there is "over 9000".

Last edited:
But basically, all of this, is about Salvage Title cars. If you buy a non-Salvage cars, not really an issue.
no, it's about Tesla trying to double dip on selling a feature...nothing more, nothing less.

Rich rebuilds is a bloody parasite. Bitches about Tesla not giving access to parts and repair guides. Then almost burns down his buddies shop while bypassing all Tesla’s battery safety features and repairs his car with a kitchen knife.

He is the very reason that morons who think they know anything should be banned from messing with EVs. They will kill you in an instant, destroy property or kill someone else if you do a half assed cheap repair and sell it on.

Well... actually... since you mention it....I do fix my own stuff that is fixable abet a car or a TV...

Yeah. I wouldn't call that a subcription/service/SaaS in the modern sense, because to me that means you pay a monthly fee for ongoing access, and if you stop paying, you lose the functionality, just like cable.

The subscription could be for as long as you own the vehicle

If it ends up being 5 years or 5 months is on you

Your stated stance is the literal opposite of your stated reason for the stance. These people struggle because manufacturers refuse to release the information these people need.

What do you think makes Tesla's mechanics so special? Did Sir Musk personally anoint each one by tapping his dick on their shoulders? The Holy Tesla Mechanics are just the same mechanics as anywhere else but they have been granted access to Tesla's repair information. Part of Right to Repair is ensuring that the information is made available.

That is complete and utter BS, 600-800V DC power systems will kill you in an instant, you cannot make it noob proof or safe for the average consumer to work on. If repair manuals were available to everyone, someone would try their luck to save a dollar, kill themselves or someone else then Tesla would be the first person to get the blame for not regulating it because it's always someone else's fault.

That is complete and utter BS, 600-800V DC power systems will kill you in an instant, you cannot make it noob proof or safe for the average consumer to work on. If repair manuals were available to everyone, someone would try their luck to save a dollar, kill themselves or someone else then Tesla would be the first person to get the blame for not regulating it because it's always someone else's fault.

Yes, let's talk about "complete and utter BS." We can start with your claim that Teslas are 600-800V. They use 350-375V packs.

If manuals were available to everyone, then everyone would have access to appropriate safety information. I notice you didn't say the phallic anointments aren't a real thing. I guess you really do believe that's how it works.

How do you think emergency workers are supposed to approach Teslas with occupants trapped inside? Does Sir Elon fly to each accident site, unsheath his Meat Stick of Brilliance, and rub it on their faces? At that point, it becomes safe for them to approach the vehicle?

BTW, what about the entire rest of the vehicle? Are the seats unsafe to touch because there's a battery in the car? How can someone without the mark of His Holy Mushroom safely change a tire? Won't all of the volts team up against him and attack?

These are serious questions and I expect serious replies.

Yup, we all know Tesla is super conservative in regulating things for their customers by advertising their Level 2 autonomous driving as completely self driving and beta testing features that could cause bodily harm for the sake of science.....

So you're against people working on their own furnace, water heated, air conditioner, fuel based car, electrical panel and who knows how many other normal household items that could kill you? If repair manuals were available to anyone, they would make their own decision to try the fix. If something happens, its on them. Of course people work on their own items save a dollar, what a stupid statement. Did you know that most auto repair places.......use online tech manuals and scan tools right?

if i decide to climb
If i decide to climb my powerline tower and touch the wires it will be my fault not the electric company.

if i decide to climb

If i decide to climb my powerline tower and touch the wires it will be my fault not the electric company.
The next guy won't feel that way. They'll wheel a half charred person in front of a jury and they jury won't care if its his fault, they'll give the guy an award and figure a corporation has deep pockets to pay for it.

The next guy won't feel that way. They'll wheel a half charred person in front of a jury and they jury won't care if its his fault, they'll give the guy an award and figure a corporation has deep pockets to pay for it.

Of course if the victim can successfully explain why they decided to trespass onto a utility corps electric poll that states "DANGER high-voltage"

Our juries might be stupid but they're not that stupid.

Trials of a civil nature are less about truth, responsibility, and who is truly at fault and more about what a high priced lawyer can convince a panel of jurors who were not smart enough to get out of jury duty

Trials of a civil nature are less about truth, responsibility, and who is truly at fault and more about what a high priced lawyer can convince a panel of jurors who were not smart enough to get out of jury duty

Yup I assume Teslas legal counsel budget is only a few pennies.

Apparently autoblog posted a new post that says Tesla is now actively going to institute this "remove paid-features" going forward on used vehicle sales. I`ll post the links when they become available.

I can't believe someone would be against Right to Repair Act. I don't care if I buy a Mitsubishi Mirage with like 78hp or an Ev with 100s of volts battery pack, I would still want to be able to fix the dam thing on my own if I chose to do so. Now if an idiot wants to take the steak knife and poke the battery pack because he or she didn't do some research and end up 6 feet deep that is on them and if you are worried about the companies getting blame then take it up with the news network that spread the story and didn't include all the details.

Definitely going with the whole "it's a software license that's non-transferable" angle it seems.

This is lame, but I can't not buy a Tesla any harder than I already am.

I anticipate the first blow will come from a black circle from Consumer Reports for projected resale.
I wonder if they sell person to person, they're not alerted of change of title are they? Can they check with the DMV to see if a car has a new owner?

I wonder if they sell person to person, they're not alerted of change of title are they? Can they check with the DMV to see if a car has a new owner?
I assume that Tesla being data driven would know when you sign into your tesla account to setup your vehicle? Or can you run without any user info?

First it was the deposits/iou loans on FSD, then the deposits/iou loans for products that have yet to materialize (next gen roadster and pickup), and finally resell those same iou loans/FSD for used customers...

As long as the (subscription based) feature(s) are removed before it is resold, and not advertised as an included feature, who cares? The new owner can just resubscribe to the sub based service. My car's VPN has a GPS built in. I have to buy a sub to get map updates. If I sell my car, the new owner will have to buy the same sub to get any new map updates.

It might seem like a money grab, but disabling a service until they are sure the update process stays in place for the new owner makes some sense. Joe sixpack buys used vehicle, never registers for updates, dies 2 years later in an accident caused by a fault they fixed but he never received, they still get sued. This scenario I can see them wanting to avoid. DIsabling self-driving until new owner registers/subscribes (whatever the process is) would be good legal protection.

Just saying there is always more to the story, think before accepting some crap you read on the internet as (complete) truth.

Back