Tesla Demonstrates Its New Security System Called Sentry Mode

cageymaru

Fully [H]
As we reported before, Tesla has added a new security feature to its cars called Sentry Mode. Sentry Mode uses the car's cameras to monitor its environment to detect potential threats. It will display a message on the touchscreen and record the encounter if the threat is minimal. But if it determines that the threat is severe, Sentry Mode will perform the same actions, but also play loud music through the car's stereo system and sound an alarm. Tesla has released a video of the security system in action.

If a car switches to "Alarm" state, owners will also receive an alert from their Tesla mobile app notifying them that an incident has occurred. They'll be able to download a video recording of an incident (which begins 10 minutes prior to the time a threat was detected) by inserting a formatted USB drive into their car before they enable Sentry Mode.

AM i the only who doesn't want my car to send me notifications? If someone breaks in, insurance will handle it. I mostly feel sorry for people when i hear them set a car alarm.

and here I thought this upgrade would be good for my prius...

upload_2019-2-21_9-16-28.png

Every notice whenever Elon makes a dumbass tweet or another senior exec quits a bunch of positive articles hit the net or he comes out with a neato flamethrower?

Oh please no we dont need more car alarms! Those things are fucking annoying. Please no.

Come on now.. how much extra tech and junk need to go into the outside before folk realize it doesn't work consistently. Refocus to where the real problem will be - in the driver's seat.

See - that's why I invested in Magnavolt. No embarrassing alarms and no need to bother the police. Win-win.

From what I can tell it doesn't drain down my battery much either!

So, pretty much you can do this with a dash-cam and an alarm system already? Play sound through the speaks is nice tho.
Come on now.. how much extra tech and junk need to go into the outside before folk realize it doesn't work consistently. Refocus to where the real problem will be - in the driver's seat.

See - that's why I invested in Magnavolt. No embarrassing alarms and no need to bother the police. Win-win.

From what I can tell it doesn't drain down my battery much either!

Reminds me of going to a security shop in the mall and asking if I could install a tazer on my car's door handles in the mid 90's, employee said that would be illegal. :(

Every notice whenever Elon makes a dumbass tweet or another senior exec quits a bunch of positive articles hit the net or he comes out with a neato flamethrower?

Speaking of flamethrowers, there is a nifty invention from Elon's homeland that would work wonderfully with this new sentry mode - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower) . Set up the alert system to show you video on your phone, and let you give any would be vandals or thieves a wiff of napalm.

AM i the only who doesn't want my car to send me notifications? If someone breaks in, insurance will handle it. I mostly feel sorry for people when i hear them set a car alarm.

You'd rather come back to your vehicle at the end of the day and find that someone broke in rather than getting a notification while it was happening? That's not a surprise I want at the end of a work day, especially if there's inclement weather involved, etc.

I guess it's lucky for you that most cars don't do this; plenty of others to choose from.

Nothing comes close to MagnaVolt when it comes to price vs performance. And the smell...

You'd rather come back to your vehicle at the end of the day and find that someone broke in rather than getting a notification while it was happening? That's not a surprise I want at the end of a work day, especially if there's inclement weather involved, etc.

I guess it's lucky for you that most cars don't do this; plenty of others to choose from.

Notification via text or app is fine but please do not blast your car alarm all over the neighborhood. It doesnt do any good an nobody will give a shit about it. All you will do is piss people off.

YouTube is getting awful. Time to dump that shit box. Thier copy right enforcement is so far in the realm of utter despotism. Cant watch the video because of some copyright claim blah blah

Insurance is great, but it is a pain in the @$$ to replace a vehicle. This can be particularly devastating for people who don't have the leeway to just go purchase a second car. How do you get around in the meantime? How do you go find another car? What if you don't have the time for that? What if you have an older but reliable car that's almost impossible to replace at the same blueblook price point? This doesn't even consider people who are living paycheck to paycheck (which is the vast majority of America) and rely on their vehicle to get to their two or three jobs?

I'm in a pretty good place compared to the average American and have insurance that covered my car loss (I hit a deer), and the financial burden of replacing the car wasn't an issue, but I feel like the process of replacing the (previously paid off and in excellent condition) car was a huge pain, and I wound up have to get a car that was more expensive, and having to bum rides around town to check out replacement options to make sure I was getting a good one.

That said, I can't even remotely afford a Tesla. To be fair, many people have remote starters that already do notifications about their vehicles, and have for decades.

I am in no position to confront a car thief, and the police really dont give a shit about personal property damage.

Insurance is great, but it is a pain in the @$$ to replace a vehicle. This can be particularly devastating for people who don't have the leeway to just go purchase a second car. How do you get around in the meantime? How do you go find another car? What if you don't have the time for that? What if you have an older but reliable car that's almost impossible to replace at the same blueblook price point? This doesn't even consider people who are living paycheck to paycheck (which is the vast majority of America) and rely on their vehicle to get to their two or three jobs?

I'm in a pretty good place compared to the average American and have insurance that covered my car loss (I hit a deer), and the financial burden of replacing the car wasn't an issue, but I feel like the process of replacing the (previously paid off and in excellent condition) car was a huge pain, and I wound up have to get a car that was more expensive, and having to bum rides around town to check out replacement options to make sure I was getting a good one.

That said, I can't even remotely afford a Tesla. To be fair, many people have remote starters that already do notifications about their vehicles, and have for decades.

Car alarms will not stop thieves from taking shit out of your car or your car itself. Supposedly a professional car thief can disable the alarm in under a minute.

So active sentry mode takes what % of battery life per 4 hours?
I saw the kneejerk reaction of oh its nothing. Yet I recall the 30% loss of range in cold weather and now you add some active monitoring systems and we all know what onboard computers can draw over the course of hours doing video analysis. So while yes the batteries are large this will still impact their range. Someday we will see 2000 mile battery range and then 30% loss won't really matter. Or we will just go Hydrogen fuel cell and refuel as needed as that is just an energy transfer medium. Just like a battery, the source of power and the related pollution is elsewhere.

Car alarms will not stop thieves from taking shit out of your car or your car itself. Supposedly a professional car thief can disable the alarm in under a minute.

Better than nothing. Besides, it's gonna be a lot harder to disable an integrated alarm like this without completely disabling the car, I suspect. I'd rather just have to replace a broken window than get a completely new (or used) car.

Back