Tesla D870 deskside tinkering

Powertrip

n00b
I was given a used Nvidia Tesla D870 that was going to be scrapped. The C870 cards in them are antiques at this point and I do NOT do anything with CUDA. I was wondering if it was possible to swap out the teslas with quadros or desktop graphics cards and make it basically a quadro plex? It seemed like a neat way to get two bigger cards into a smaller machine, plus the deskside looks cool!

I'm not looking to make it a super gaming beast or anything. Just wondering if possible because I thought it was a cool idea.

Thanks!

Thanks. I have the cables and the host controller card. It's the complete setup minus install media and manuals.

Is there a list of what cards would be compatible? Or could I just look at lists for say the quadro plexes?

Thanks for your response, btw!

Thanks. I have the cables and the host controller card. It's the complete setup minus install media and manuals.

Is there a list of what cards would be compatible? Or could I just look at lists for say the quadro plexes?

Thanks for your response, btw!

I'm not sure on the compatibility aspect.
Theoretically, a PCI-e switch should work for any two pci-e cards but there might be some software limitations since it is a D870.

If you are trying to get sort of modern performance out of it, you will want to replace the PCI-e switch card and the host interface adapter card since each GPU will only get 8x PCI-e 1.0 bandwidth, ie 4x PCI-e 2.0 and 2x PCI-e 3.0

Thanks. Now I gotta figure out how to open it lol

It is a cool idea, what you are trying to do, but I'm not sure how effective it would be in a gaming situation.

Have you thought about modding it and maybe trying to do a m-atx or itx build in the deskside?

I actually HAVE thought about building a computer inside the chassis. Especially now that I have it opened up. Originally I was going to see if I could get this working with a build I was planning on doing to a SGI case. Because they look so cool next to each other. But this may end up being a stand alone setup. I haven't decided. The biggest factor is that I've never successfully completed an in depth case mod like this before. Definitely would be cool to make happen!

Back