Tesla CEO Elon Musk Wants to Take the Company Private to Avoid Short Sellers

My more cynical mind sees him coming across as someone who just wants to be remembered and revered in history, money be damned because he can't take it with him after he dies anyways. He does too much of blowing his own horn to be a simple philanthropist.

Why because he posts on Twitter? He has made it very clear that he doesnt care who reaches mars first just as long as we do it. He was already setup for life before he started SpaceX, he went all in and almost bankrupt just to make his dream a reality when even Neal Armstrong was a sellout against him.

It really is sad that everyone expects people to only do things for personal gain these days which infact is just reflecting their own personal traits or jealousy.

To me he comes across as someone who has had depression in the past and wants to do things that motivate him and make life exciting.

Why because he posts on Twitter? He has made it very clear that he doesnt care who reaches mars first just as long as we do it. He was already setup for life before he started SpaceX, he went all in and almost bankrupt just to make his dream a reality when even Neal Armstrong was a sellout against him.

It really is sad that everyone expects people to only do things for personal gain these days which infact is just reflecting their own personal traits or jealousy.

To me he comes across as someone who has had depression in the past and wants to do things that motivate him and make life exciting.

Spamming on Twitter almost as badly as Trump, sticking his nose into things very publicly, and the almost childish way he reacts to certain criticisms. The people that try to loudly proclaim that they aren't egotists/narcissists are often the biggest offenders.

Spamming on Twitter almost as badly as Trump, sticking his nose into things very publicly, and the almost childish way he reacts to certain criticisms. The people that try to loudly proclaim that they aren't egotists/narcissists are often the biggest offenders.

If you are refering to the cave rescue incident, they asked for any and all help that could be offered. Elon and his staff rapid prototyped the sub in record time from scratch and personally delivered it there only to have them spit in his face. I would be pissed off as well and tell them to go fk themselves.

As for Twitter, he can post what he wants, likewise you can choose not to follow him. I choose to see the good things that he has done to further our progession into space rather than fixating on petty things like posting on a social media platform but hey if that is the center of your world.

Tell me does this interview strike you as someone who is only doing things for fame?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are refering to the cave rescue incident, they asked for any and all help that could be offered. Elon and his staff rapid prototyped the sub in record time from scratch and personally delivered it there only to have them spit in his face. I would be pissed off as well and tell them to go fk themselves.

As for Twitter, he can post what he wants, likewise you can choose not to follow him. I choose to see the good things that he has done to further our progession into space rather than fixating on petty things like posting on a social media platform but hey if that is the center of your world.

Tell me does this interview strike you as someone who is only doing things for fame?

I have no presence on Twitter and don't bother following anyone. The cave incident was hardly the only incident where he grandiosely came out publicly with a solution to some problem. Furthermore, there was absolutely no need for him to publicly declare he had a solution, he could have kept the communication private. If he actually was able to help out in some way, those involved could acknowledge him after the fact.

Frankly, I don't care what he does with his money. It's his right to do what he wants with it. However, I will not put him on a higher pedestal than what I believe he should be on, and I have no problem saying it, nor will I let people tell me that I should view him with a golden halo. Also, it's your right to view him with a golden halo and publicly proclaim it if you wish.

It is true that Musk does like to come out with some flashy solution to a problem he heard about on Twitter. But sometimes those solutions end up working really well - look at that giant battery Tesla installed in Australia, and how much money it has saved people.

Given the absurd amount of money people with shorts positions have lost/are set up to lose, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them would be willing to use less than ethical means of pushing Tesla's stock price down. And not just stuff like making shit up on Twitter (that has already been happening) but funding industrial sabotage (hey, look at that former employee Tesla is suing for data theft & the like) or worse. I hope Mr. Musk has a good security team while he takes Tesla private.

No one is forcing you to invest, and soon if he does indeed go private, you won't even have the opportunity to. It would seem like their struggles are mostly over.

And you don't see the comparisons to Amazon? When people where investing in Amazon at the beginning, when they lost money time and time again, you don't think people did your same comparison of "Circuit city market cap is BlahBlah Billions, Good Guys is Blah Blah Billions, and Amazon has lost money for the Nth straight year, Analysts and experts proclaim this online stuff is a fad and the internet is only for pedos and software pirates."

I see it as a paradigm shift, and many others do to. You can choose to invest or buy an EV, or you can deny it and see where that leaves you. I'm not trying to convert any "Truck Bros" as I know no amount of reasoning will do that.

Yep, definitely not going to invest in Tesla. They're currently making electric cars. Whoopie, so is BMW, GM, Porsche, Ford, Nissan, etc. Tesla's "paradigm shift" to electric cars is no different than any of those companies, save for the fact that their financial woes are not even close to over at this point. They're having major problems raising capital and the only profitable quarter that Tesla has ever had was due to selling government carbon contracts to other companies in California.

I'm not a Tesla hater. I've driven a Tesla, I would like to own a Tesla if it ever came into my price range and the initial build quality improves. But guess what? Liking a company or thinking Elon Musk has some good ideas does not make it investable, and it certainly does not make it the most valuable car company in the world. Tesla stockholders have not been able to produce a credible bull case for multiple quarters now. It always breaks down to "you gotta trust Elon Musk". Why do I have to? Tesla fanboyism has almost become a religion at this point. Elon Musk has shot for the moon, but he also often make claims that are patently false (Nvidia claims you can't use their current hardware for self-driving cars, Musk says you can with a software update, guess who's probably right?), and yet every time a short seller points it out, he's shouted down as a "Tesla hater". Reasoning indeed.

And no, I don't see the comparisons with Amazon at all. It's not even close to valid. Amazon was in a completely different space and developed a business model that their competitors couldn't challenge. As it stands, Tesla's building cars that are inferior to the competition in terms of performance and initial build quality (yes, it's true, sorry to say), and they're hopelessly behind in manufacturing capacity, even missing their own targets for production volumes. The Solar City acquisition has been a boat anchor on Tesla's profits, not a help. They have had a myriad of production issues and are consistently missing their own imposed targets. Tesla would have been a more realistic investment had they maintained themselves as a luxury brand. Ferrari doesn't sell mass market cars, yet people love to wear Ferrari hats, jackets, heck even an Acer computer. People would have loved the brand, and Tesla would have made more margin than rushing out the Model 3, but I guess pointing that out makes me a "hater".

Whoopie, so is BMW, GM, Porsche, Ford, Nissan, etc. Tesla's "paradigm shift" to electric cars is no different than any of those companies....

They're having major problems raising capital....

I'm not a Tesla hater. I've driven a Tesla, I would like to own a Tesla....

Tesla's building cars that are inferior to the competition in terms of performance and initial build quality.

..... but I guess pointing that out makes me a "hater".

How are they having trouble raising capitol when they are proposing buying out all existing stock at a premium?

The difference between Tesla and the other EV makers you pointed out is all of them complain about their batteries and battery tech, Tesla makes their own. The others complain about lack of public charging or charging networks, Tesla made their own. They also complain about the time it takes to charge, Tesla has super charging. And of all of those Tesla is the only one that updates their cars over the air, their cars get better as you own them, the others don't.

If I read right (and it's hard because you contradict yourself) You would buy a Tesla if you could afford it, but then complain that they are inferior in performance and build quality to other EVs. Why not buy one of the others? The BMW i3? The Chevy Bolt? Nissan Leaf? Ford Cmax? Which of these is your "Tesla Killer" with better performance?

And you not seeing the similarities to Amazon just boggles the mind. Not sure why the media and others continue to love to spew negativity towards Tesla, it may have to do with so many people betting against Tesla, Oil and traditional car companies being threatened by EVs or whatever the reason others can't see either.

I own a Tesla Car and its been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I own Tesla stock, it performs well, I believe in their products and goals. What are you backing?

Last edited:
This is an absolute truth. Very few companies operate that making a good product or fulfilling your mission while satisfying your customers beyond reason with said service or product will yield the greatest long term profits and success. No they just want the dollar now. With leaders looking to sell a company rather than lead it... is it no surprise?

^This.

What you described is salesmen masquerading as leaders. When you have a company run by the equivalent of used car salesmen are you really surprised by their focus on the dollar now more than anything else?

The difference between Tesla and the other EV makers you pointed out is all of them complain about their batteries and battery tech, Tesla makes their own.

Panasonic would beg to differ

He's bringing it up because the gigafactories are partnerships, not sole ownership or operation by Tesla.
Yeah I was being silly. But still doesn't negate the point I originally made that Tesla got involved in battery manufacturing and evolution. After all it's Tesla's Gigafactory.

Out of curiosity I googled it and Panasonic contributed $1.6 billion (and probably their tech) to the $5 billion project. Panasonic must be happy with Tesla's success.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery-partner-panasonic-gigafactory-funding/

Not sure if your saying Panasonic makes EVs or if Panasonic owns Gigafactories?

Derp edit lol. I see you googled it. I think they are using their tech mainly to get around patent trolling I bet.

Last edited:
This is why I hate the stock market. I lost a decent amount of money this week with a couple companies that made profits, and beat Wall Street expectations..

Why did you sell low? That's the stupidest way to participate in the stock market.

If you didn't sell yet, then you have "lost" nothing. You have a potential loss if the stocks never recover, but for the majority of companies that's not how things have historically gone.

Back