Tesla Autopilot Predicts Crash Before It Happens?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this guy, this Tesla was on Autopilot when the crash in front of the car happened. The dashcam video below sure makes it look like the Tesla's emergency braking system was engaged literally a split second before the crash happened.

The Tesla is beeping a full second before the crash. Impressive.

I used to hate the idea of self-driving vehicles, but after driving through Dallas over the weekend...

Was using its radar to bounce it under the car in front of him to detect the other vehicle was stopped/braking hard.

Just imagine when all cars are "talking" with each other on the road.

AI at it's finest. Now if it could only see big white box 18 wheelers and not try to drive underneath them.

That's why MobileEye was out and nVidia was in for Autopilot 2.0, supposedly a 40 fold increase in computing performance, and some additional sensors:
https://electrek.co/2016/10/10/tesla-vision-autopilot-autonomous-driving-nvidia-cuda/

The latest platform released by NVIDIA is the Drive PX 2, which the company describes as “the world’s first AI supercomputer for self-driving cars”. Its computing power is comparable to about 150 MacBook Pros...

Was using its radar to bounce it under the car in front of him to detect the other vehicle was stopped/braking hard.

The radar can see the braking when the redcar started moving slightly to the right.

However, notice the black car on the right, it's closer to the action, driven by a human, and has epically bad city car brakes...... still avoids the crash.

The radar can see the braking when the redcar started moving slightly to the right.

However, notice the black car on the right, it's closer to the action, driven by a human, and has epically bad city car brakes...... still avoids the crash.
Actually no car today have epically bad brakes. They'd never let them sell those. It's a typical sized car in Europe. Yes we drive those small cars regularly. It's an average sized car here. Looks like it's a Ford Focus. Not known for it's bad brakes either. Any car made since the mid nineties have adequate brakes, they'll stop within a reasonable distance.
Or are you talking about the grey car that travels much slower than camcar and should've noticed the accident further away, but still stops a good 15 meters later, because it was being driven by a human?

Just some Tesla native advertising/propaganda/whatever you want to call it!! If a Tesla came across Steve doing this on the road, NO WAY could it's Autopilot predict what Steve was going to do next.. even Steve doesn't know that.. and Steve is smarter than a robot. That is why Steve drives a non-computer chip car (although it could be an Autobot in disguise)!!

cusn8.gif

I honestly cannot wait for self driving to become socially normal so it can become law. I see this as a three win benefit in that more people will have social/economic mobility (e.g. a taxi fair can be cut drastically with ride sharing), more lives will be saved, and a whole cottage industry can be started for "manual driving" for those that want to. I would believe like race tracks (on and off road) would become much more popular.

who da fk blurred dat shit? watch the original, and fyi the video on hardocp site is private now!

The Tesla is beeping a full second before the crash. Impressive.

I used to hate the idea of self-driving vehicles, but after driving through Dallas over the weekend...

I'm guessing the AI analyzed the trajectory and vector of the car in the rear and realized it would clip the SUV in front.

BTW: That whole rollover thing is why I won't get an SUV/Mini/Crossover for a daily driver. They are too top heavy.

I honestly cannot wait for self driving to become socially normal so it can become law. I see this as a three win benefit in that more people will have social/economic mobility (e.g. a taxi fair can be cut drastically with ride sharing), more lives will be saved, and a whole cottage industry can be started for "manual driving" for those that want to. I would believe like race tracks (on and off road) would become much more popular.

I want it to be popular for another reason, I can bully all the self driving cars around, thy will always yield for me, They will let me go first at any intersection, I can back out in front of them and they will stop.........

I wonder if the older vehicles will get the upgrade because this is probably not something you can do OTA? Or more importantly, will it mine bitcoins.
You could cause cars have been remote controlled for years. Back To the Future did it. I see two problems with this. One problem is that fly by wire cars would need permission from the manufacturer to get access to these systems. Cars that have a mechanical steering wheel and linkage to the gas pedal would require expensive mechanical components to make this work. Then there's drilling holes in the body to install sensors and cameras. Good chance some cars would need custom kits if you don't want to ugly the car.

it didnt predict a crash at all, it sensed a large object ahead going substantially slower than the tesla, and engaged the brakes. That is all.

Reactions: ktos2
like this
This is a good story, but it's not really AI at all you're seeing here. Tesla supposedly has some very sophisticated radar filtering that gives some useful information on a car or two ahead (of the visible target). In this case the car ahead (of the vehicle that caused the crash) was stopped or very slow. So it was good old fashioned natural intelligence on the part of their engineers.

^ The guy above me said it in so few words, but I'll chime in as well since I already started on my comment.

Yes we drive those small cars regularly. It's an average sized car here. Looks like it's a Ford Focus. Not known for it's bad brakes either. Any car made since the mid nineties have adequate brakes

Not a big car guy are ya?

Not a big car guy are ya?
Europe is not very big on big cars. Gas is like 3-4 times what it is here in the states so its hard to justify buying a big car. Shit some countries there fit LP system too tiny Yugo like cars.

Exclusive peek of the technology in action at Tesla HQ

JRcIXbq.jpg

Actually no car today have epically bad brakes. They'd never let them sell those. It's a typical sized car in Europe. Yes we drive those small cars regularly. It's an average sized car here. Looks like it's a Ford Focus. Not known for it's bad brakes either. Any car made since the mid nineties have adequate brakes, they'll stop within a reasonable distance.
Or are you talking about the grey car that travels much slower than camcar and should've noticed the accident further away, but still stops a good 15 meters later, because it was being driven by a human?

Looks like a fiesta hatch, small front disks and smaller rear drums. ~2600lbs

Source; I had one

I want it to be popular for another reason, I can bully all the self driving cars around, thy will always yield for me, They will let me go first at any intersection, I can back out in front of them and they will stop.........
Wrong, my self-driving car just means I have two hands free to aim with, mufugga! *ratatat*

Just some Tesla native advertising/propaganda/whatever you want to call it!! If a Tesla came across Steve doing this on the road, NO WAY could it's Autopilot predict what Steve was going to do next.. even Steve doesn't know that.. and Steve is smarter than a robot. That is why Steve drives a non-computer chip car (although it could be an Autobot in disguise)!!

If Steve was doing that on the road, the Tesla should probably call the cops.

P.S.: your image link is broken.

One other drastic improvement to having AI is the inevitable reduction in traffic and road congestion. No more slow folk accelerating late, or braking early, everything is done properly, within acceptable accelerations, no more waiting for a light to turn green, and not even making it through the intersection before red again due to slow responses by drivers.

As unsafe as current AI is, it's most likely still vastly superior to regular drivers. All this in something that isn't even complete or ready for public driving (puts into consideration what conditions we are already driving under!!!!!)

Looks like a fiesta hatch, small front disks and smaller rear drums. ~2600lbs

Source; I had one
Still it will stop in such a situation well enough.

People seem to think you need big brakes to stop. But that's actually not true. You need big brakes for hard braking repeatedly over longer periods of time, Eg driving the car hard or being on a trackday.

Source: I own a car with 230mm single piston non-ventilated front discs and rear drums. When cold It will lock the wheels easily even on bone dry asphalt. Making the tires the weakest point in the equation in such a situation. But do 3-4 hard stops with it in short time and it will refuse to stop anymore.

Brakes loose efficiency when they overheat. Bigger and ventilated brakes are to prevent overheating first and foremost. You need big tires for brake size to actually matter in a single stopping distance test. And none of these cars have big tires. Of course an SUV will need bigger brakes, because it has more rubber and it's heavier. But these small European cars usually have 175-185 mm wide tires.

it didnt predict a crash at all, it sensed a large object ahead going substantially slower than the tesla, and engaged the brakes. That is all.
Yes and that is what it was designed to do. Only people attribute "senses" and "psychic" abilities to machines. But by detecting an obstacle in due time, it prevented an accident, that many Sunday drivers would've probably fallen victim to.

And that's why we can't have nice things.

Europe is not very big on big cars. Gas is like 3-4 times what it is here in the states so its hard to justify buying a big car. Shit some countries there fit LP system too tiny Yugo like cars.

LP to me means Long Play :D

Thankfully you don't see yugos and such terrible cars on the roads anymore. Nobody drives those here. Well maybe in the poorest countries like Romania and Bulgaria, but not in the rest of the EU.

As far as big cars go I drive a 5.7L 400hp Sequoia, but only because the company pays for gas :p

Still it will stop in such a situation well enough.

People seem to think you need big brakes to stop. But that's actually not true. You need big brakes for hard braking repeatedly over longer periods of time, Eg driving the car hard or being on a trackday.

Source: I own a car with 230mm single piston non-ventilated front discs and rear drums. When cold It will lock the wheels easily even on bone dry asphalt. Making the tires the weakest point in the equation in such a situation. But do 3-4 hard stops with it in short time and it will refuse to stop anymore.

Brakes loose efficiency when they overheat. Bigger and ventilated brakes are to prevent overheating first and foremost. You need big tires for brake size to actually matter in a single stopping distance test. And none of these cars have big tires. Of course an SUV will need bigger brakes, because it has more rubber and it's heavier. But these small European cars usually have 175-185 mm wide tires.

You need good tires before anything else. Fiestas do not come with good tires lol.

You need good tires before anything else. Fiestas do not come with good tires lol.
I don't know what tyres are fitted on fiestas in the factory. But the cars I saw all came with brand tires. I don't think Fords come with bad tires either.

Probably the worst I saw was Goodyear fitted on a new car. And in dry weather the stopping distance between the best and worst tyres doesn't change by more than 5m when stopping from 100kmh. So nah, it's not that significant. Reaction time has much bigger impact on stopping distance than your tyres.

I don't know what tyres are fitted on fiestas in the factory. But the cars I saw all came with brand tires. I don't think Fords come with bad tires either.

Probably the worst I saw was Goodyear fitted on a new car. And in dry weather the stopping distance between the best and worst tyres doesn't change by more than 5m when stopping from 100kmh. So nah, it's not that significant. Reaction time has much bigger impact on stopping distance than your tyres.

Well you compare an M3 to a ford freaking fiesta, and you are talking 25% or so difference. So what you are saying is completely wrong!

You are assuming you will be driving a manual car at this point.

And before someone says they will have to remove it from my cold dead hands remember driving is a privilege not a right.

If they all of a sudden don't allow you to insure that car because you now need a special license to manual drive you won't really have a choice.

well I guess you could drive without insurance but that is pretty stupid.

Then imagine spoofing packets and forcing other vehicles to maneuver

Well you compare an M3 to a ford freaking fiesta, and you are talking 25% or so difference. So what you are saying is completely wrong!

He's comparing tires, not comparing cars. Don't see how this plays into the arguement at all. You're out in left field with this comment.

Reactions: M76
like this
Anyone who does not scan THROUGH the car ahead to the next (and beyond) vehicle, is simply not driving well. If you're not predicting possible actions and giving yourself options, then you're just hoping that the driver ahead does not cause you to have an accident. Seeing what's behind the wheel around me, that's not a bet I'm willing to take. Your decision may be different.

Dear god can we sticky this at the top of the thread.
indeed.

not to mention... if you are doing in excess of 110km/hr on a highway and tailgating and NOT looking that far ahead... you're asking for it. I seen it coming when i watched the video and that driver was in no way driving to his abilities (or lack thereof). But i've always been one to look ahead, ya know, like you're meant to. The faster you go, the further ahead you have to look. Add tailgating into that mix whilst not peaking/being specially aware and ready to smash the picks = unwise.

good vid though!

Back