Tesla Achieves Production Goal of 1,000 Model 3 Cars per Day

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Tesla has achieved its production goal of making 1,000 cars per day. Elon Musk confirmed the numbers in an email to employees and reaffirmed the need to maintain the production efficiency and quality of Tesla vehicles. The next goal for Tesla is to lower the price of the Model 3 from $38,000 to $35,000 within 6 months. The long term production goal is to manufacture 10,000 Model 3 cars per week.

"It's important to bear in mind that the cost of the car is made up of about 10,000 unique parts and processes. depending on how you count it, the current cost of a standard range Model 3 would be around $38,000, so each part or process step only costs around $3.80. That means finding cost efficiencies is a game of pennies, even though it might not seem so."

Nvidia makes a bunch of 2080ti's. Production numbers alone do not tell the tale.

I'll take two, they're cheap. Just wish I had somewhere to plug 'em in.

$35k is getting there, but still won't make electric vehicles ubiquitous. $25k is what it will take for that, even if that is for vehicles when they begin to flow into the used market. Hardly anyone I know can afford a "new" car and must purchase used. I am hoping these and others will still be viable once they hit the used market a few years from now. If they will last 10 or more years with performance near when they were new like current vehicles then that will begin to usher in a switch to electric as mainstream.

Something to consider is that electric cars are cheaper to run than gasoline ones, so when factoring that an electric can have a somewhat higher initial cost and still be the fiscally better option. Checking fueleconomy.gov, it estimates that a Model 3 cost $550 to power for a year, while a Honda Accord cost $1300. So it looks like electric cars need to get within $3k-$4k of a similar gas car to be a no-brainer over the typical 5 year loan period.

$35k is getting there, but still won't make electric vehicles ubiquitous. $25k is what it will take for that, even if that is for vehicles when they begin to flow into the used market. Hardly anyone I know can afford a "new" car and must purchase used. I am hoping these and others will still be viable once they hit the used market a few years from now. If they will last 10 or more years with performance near when they were new like current vehicles then that will begin to usher in a switch to electric as mainstream.
You've nailed it. Most people do not buy new cars. Of those that do, the average price is 30k. The real question, however is what's the median price (and those numbers don't seem to be available). I can say that of the top 10 selling cars, the selling price for the base backage is under 30k and only 7-10 are over 25k.

That said, there's also not much profit (if any) in the cheapest cars, so they mostly need to sell, or lease, to those that can buy/lease a 30-40k car and then they'll get bought by others in 3-7 years. Regardless, eventually the prices will come down.

$35,000 LOL

without the Federal 7500 EV savings? I'll believe it when I see it.

Literally anywhere.
Not here....well unless I want to blow circuit breakers (I could upgrade to a 200amp service for a few thousand though, give me an extra 50amps...might do the trick). Not everyone lives where this is practical sadly. My dad's old place is even worse I turned on a small heater, the microwave, a light and when the refrigerator went on the circuit blew...but hey it was built about 80 years ago.

They're still ugly though.

They look alright on the outside, but that minimalist interior is crap. You ever try to poke a button on a touch screen while bouncing down the highway..... yeah give me hard switches, buttons and knobs please ( on a related note, did you see that vid where a cop pulls one over and says "you can't mount a laptop to the dash like that" hilarious., Interior is still minimalist crap thou, wish Musk would get off that fad)

BTW: I own a Tesla Model S (better interior), and a Chevy Bolt. I currently do not own any gas cars, and I don't miss them at all.

Literally anywhere.

I have a 14 mile commute which averages a speed of 10 miles per hour. That commute is mostly freeway. There is not one charging station, anywhere, along that commute. I have seen dead Teslas on that stretch of freeway on several occasions.

There is no way in hell I would have one as my primary vehicle and I do not have the garage space for one to just sit around and get used for the odd trip to the grocery store.

I am also limited to one 240V circuit @ 100A (building code), unless I move to a commercial property. So, no running my compressor, welding machines (TIG/MIG), dryer, oven, or plasma table when charging. Right now I have to be careful what I turn on as I can overload that 100A, pretty easily.

I am not going to get into the aesthetics. That is subjective. It is just not practical for me.

Last edited:
You ever try to poke a button on a touch screen while bouncing down the highway..... yeah give me hard switches, buttons and knobs please
What they don't have voice control?
I just inherited a Subaru Forester, it's got the controls on the steering wheel for the multi-function display, ez pz and no dirty touch screen.

They could make them cheaper if they lost the GLASS ROOF and half of the electronic/telematic crap. Most people just want a powerful motor, a comfy seat, HVAC, reliability, good brakes and a radio. The model 3 was supposed to be the cheap one. They totally forgot that. Buy the model S or X if you want all of that expensive garbage. 150 mile highway range it plenty for me.

110/120v, you can find it in almost any parking lot, building or wherever. All modern electric cars can be charged at the wall.

I have a 14 mile commute which averages a speed of 10 miles per hour. That commute is mostly freeway. There is not one charging station, anywhere, along that commute. I have seen dead Teslas on that stretch of freeway on several occasions.

There is no way in hell I would have one as my primary vehicle and I do not have the garage space for one to just sit around and get used for the odd trip to the grocery store.

I am also limited to one 240V circuit @ 100A (building code), unless I move to a commercial property. So, no running my compressor, welding machines (TIG/MIG), dryer, oven, or plasma table when charging. Right now I have to be careful what I turn on as I can overload that 100A, pretty easily.

I am not going to get into the aesthetics. That is subjective. It is just not practical for me.

110/120v, you can find it in almost any parking lot, building or wherever. All modern electric cars can be charged at the wall.

Right. Pull up to anyone's house and ask them for a charge? Pull up to a gas station and ask if you can run an extension cord from thier outlet. Hehe,....could be a new reality show in the making.

In the meantime, I can see the headlines, "Another person arrested for stealing electricity!" :)

You are not being very realistic.

I don't understand your point about your 14 mile commute. Even Tesla's smallest battery pack could make that trip 15 times before needing to recharge.

They could make them cheaper if they lost the GLASS ROOF and half of the electronic/telematic crap. Most people just want a powerful motor, a comfy seat, HVAC, reliability, good brakes and a radio. The model 3 was supposed to be the cheap one. They totally forgot that. Buy the model S or X if you want all of that expensive garbage. 150 mile highway range it plenty for me.

You are entirely incorrect. $35,000 was always the target price for the affordable car. And you can't say "If you want all the techy shit then go buy a Model 3." There is literally nothing then that will make the Model 3 unique. Then go buy a used Chevy Volt, Prius, Leaf, or something else... The Model S starts at $65,000 as opposed to $35,000 with the 3. You still get great and unique tech for $30k less than the Model S. Your comment is incredibly stupid considering the amount of tech for the price in a Model 3 compared to EVERY car in the market at that price point. To me it just sounds like you're pissed because you can't afford it. You really think in our autonomous future we are going to back to cars that just have good seats and a radio? Tech is the selling point for literally every car now. Think about it. All the latest cars are advertised with what their tech can do... that's what differentiates a car in the 21st century and you should get used to it.

Elon said that they should be able to make a $25,000 Model 3 in about 3 years so just because you can't afford the car now doesn't mean you won't be able to or that Tesla "forgot" about the cheap car. They delivered 100 percent what they said they would and just like everything, the cheaper option is coming down the line. The master plan has always been to make more expensive cars until cheaper ones can be made since the roadster.

I don't understand your point about your 14 mile commute. Even Tesla's smallest battery pack could make that trip 15 times before needing to recharge.

I bought a 2012 Chevy Volt 3 years ago with all the fittings for $17k and the year before last I only put fuel into the range extender motor twice. I have a 15 mile commute to work and the Volt gets about 35-40 miles on all-electric. I charge at work and at home so I never have to used the gas range extender unless we go on a road trip or something. It's the best thing next to a Tesla that I could have gotten 3 years ago at that price point and a lot of people I wish would consider it. Used Volts out there are super useful and maintenance has been incredible minimal.

No, you're the one being unrealistic. Nobody even notices when someone just plugs into an outlet. Because it's commonplace.

Go into a parking lot with power outlets, sure they were intended for engine blocks, but you think anyone is sitting there watching who plugs in and when? No. Because nobody cares.

Pull into a gas station, they have an outside plug on the wall, you think any of the (MINIMUMWAGE) gas station attendants give a crap that you're plugging into their outlet? No. They won't even realize it since they're inside, and you're outside, and nobody even thinks about this.

People plug into these outlets for other things all the time, be it a portable tire pump, or any other number things. It's so ubiquitous that nobody will notice or care. You'll just blend in.

And even if a bean counter notices an increase in power draw (and they probably won't), that will be months down the road, and in no way actually connect to some random joe-blow plugging into a rando outlet.

You be realistic, because you aren't. People don't care.

Right. Pull up to anyone's house and ask them for a charge? Pull up to a gas station and ask if you can run an extension cord from thier outlet. Hehe,....could be a new reality show in the making.

In the meantime, I can see the headlines, "Another person arrested for stealing electricity!" :)

Your comment is incredibly stupid considering the amount of tech for the price in a Model 3 compared to EVERY car in the market at that price point. To me it just sounds like you're pissed because you can't afford it. You really think in our autonomous future we are going to back to cars that just have good seats and a radio?

Elon said ...

I don't like the push for excessive technology/luxury in EVERY car. At least make it optional. Even if I were a multi-billionaire, I'd want less of that crap in my car. And you are correct that I'm slightly jealous of the people that can afford them. But, like I said, I would probably do something else, if I had the money. I would love a somewhat sporty, stripped down electric car though. NOBODY makes one.

I'm not on a first name basis with Old Musky, and I do like the progress they've made and inspired, but they are neglecting a large part of the market by only building expensive and complicated cars. Everyone else too. The Leaf and the Bolt are closer to reality, but they tried to make something unique looking and just totally ruined it. The Model 3 looks pretty good with a solid roof, if you can ignore the lack of a grill. None of them are light on the features or weight or price.

I'm not sure what inspired such venom, but I didn't mean to "trigger" you or anyone else. Lawd no. Have a wonderful day. :)

No, you're the one being unrealistic. Nobody even notices when someone just plugs into an outlet. Because it's commonplace.

Go into a parking lot with power outlets, sure they were intended for engine blocks, but you think anyone is sitting there watching who plugs in and when? No. Because nobody cares.

There are no outlets in my purchased condo parking lot. So...

never mind that it'd take forever to charge a car with 110. Even 220 isn't fast.

What they don't have voice control?
I just inherited a Subaru Forester, it's got the controls on the steering wheel for the multi-function display, ez pz and no dirty touch screen.

Voice control can be hit or miss, I would rather have at minimum buttons for basic controls. Text to speech for texting or making calls, fine. Leave the basic functions alone, pressing a button (better yet, turning a knob) is far easier than saying "Ok car, volume up" five times.

so in 2013, I was supposed to buy the wife a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara JKU...
We went to a GMC dealership as I wanted to look at a GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z92... I couldn't afford it ($52k), or could I?
I was trading in a 2008 Silverado crew cab z71 that I drove on a commute of 65 miles each way @23mpg and would drive the wifes 2005 TrailBlazer EXT @ 24mpg.
Well I rolled out of the dealership in that new truck (Wife was ticked as it was her turn and she wanted a Jeep)...

well truck got 19mpg and cost me $680/m in gas plus $499/m in truck payment (with trade in and incentives, truck was too cheap to pass up).
drove it for 3 years and at 70k miles truck was going to need tires @ $425 each plus mounting and balance so close to $2000...

I decided it was time to get rid of the truck and buy what makes sense. I can afford the $1200/m for the truck but it is very selfish and wife wasn't happy again.. hah..
but I went out and looked at the BEST thing for economy driving.

Guy at work had the chevy volt on lease and he is 22 miles from work. we have charging stations at work but he could go from his house to work and mostly back and charge it up. still having a gas engine it was worth it for him, but for me... I would make it 2/3 way to work then @40ish mpg on gas....

then lowe and behold another guy at work had a prius and a prius c … well this would make it … and the best for what it is.

I ended up buying a prius three for $25k, $5k down, traded wifes TrailBlazer in as she said we can keep the truck and she would drive it on her commute.

Prius, driven correctly gets me (in the summer) 60-70mpg and (winter) 50-55mpg and
driven like every other driver on the road - 45-50mpg (say 70-90mph)

im mostly highway...

so I have been looking at the tesla's and other electrics but their range isn't what I need as im 130 miles MIMIMUM and that is BARE... with kids sports, etc.. 150 miles but as said.. recharge station at work.

14452074927_16029d2a61_b.jpg
Prius-2 by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

so then truck still needed tires and wife still "discussed" how she never got her jeep... so here it is...

28081659803_b5e30cb32e_k.jpg
Our new 2016 JKU Sahara by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

this guy was at dealership and checking out my truck being traded in, think they had it sold before I left the lot!!!!!

JKU on 40s!!!!
28081659283_dd16dd9bbb_k.jpg
JKU on 40's by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

now back to the meat and potatoes of this topic....

guy at work just bought a tesla and said they are in the $50k's.... with his VW tradein, he is at $630/m plus electric of say $40-$50/m...
so close to $700/m

my prius is $262/m plus $100-$150/m in gas... so

for a cost effective solution, electric cars, for me are still not there. Self drive.. yeah sounds nice...

so my long commute, I get tired and would love to hit auto pilot and I bought a camera for my car due to someone in dunkin donuts line backing into the jeep. I got out, guy pulled over and after looking at the jeep.. I was like.. just tapped bumper and no damage, looked up and guy was gone. yeah I could of called cops, said hit and run and they would of had to use DD and shoprite cameras but I said screw it..

my son got T-boned in a jeep he owned for 7 months.. he made a left and supposedly a guy came out of taco bell and nailed him. my son got deemed at fault and its frustrating so...
bought a Thinkware X500 with front/rear cameras as a pilot for my car... then when we got him a replacement car, bought him a Thinkware F770 front/rear camera...

the point of me bringing up the cameras is that they also gave me features that made me want to trade the prius in on... lane change detection, collision warning (albeit, new cars will brake but I just get chimes if im too close)…. but these features have quenched that thirst for now.

so my 2014 prius has turned 121k miles and ive only done oil changes, tire rotate, new tires @ 68k miles to Hankook 100k mile tires (so 50k on them and look great) and a headlight.
this car still has $3k to pay off and in gas it has paid for itself over and over again....

I thought of getting a new prius but even they went from $25k to $30-$35k for a comparable one like I have.... so now that puts me at a tesla price possibly....

I used to buy new cars every 2-3years... love it... BUT im starting to not care anymore, and im gonna drive this prius until I limp it to the junkyard with title in hand and ask how much in scrap and go buy a new something but it seems im gonna have many years to go....

I also hear the new tesla that they are going to make for $35k or so will also not have the range...

so I agree with others.. While the "tech" would be great like auto drive, etc... you can keep it.. give me a bigger battery and let me opt out of some of that so I can get my long commute in and be happy.....

Pull into a gas station, they have an outside plug on the wall, you think any of the (MINIMUMWAGE) gas station attendants give a crap that you're plugging into their outlet? No. They won't even realize it since they're inside, and you're outside, and nobody even thinks about this.

People plug into these outlets for other things all the time, be it a portable tire pump, or any other number things. It's so ubiquitous that nobody will notice or care. You'll just blend in.

And even if a bean counter notices an increase in power draw (and they probably won't), that will be months down the road, and in no way actually connect to some random joe-blow plugging into a rando outlet.

You be realistic, because you aren't. People don't care.

Wow, just WOW!

Maybe "realistic" was not the right word. If you think it is okay to steal electricity from someone, then there are other, more appropriate, words which could have been used.

never mind that it'd take forever to charge a car with 110. Even 220 isn't fast.

There is that. Not to mention those outlets he would steal the electricity from wil be limited to 20A, or less. According to Tesla, "With a single onboard charger plugged into a standard 110-volt outlet, You will get, approximately, 2 miles of range for every hour of charging."

If the battery pack is dead, it will take 5 days to fully charge a Model S on a 110/120V outlet. The onboard charger using 110/120V does restrict charging rates to no more than 15A and must not be in a GFCI circuit.

Last edited:
then lowe and behold another guy at work had a prius and a prius c … well this would make it … and the best for what it is.

I ended up buying a prius three for $25k, $5k down, traded wifes TrailBlazer in as she said we can keep the truck and she would drive it on her commute.

Prius, driven correctly gets me (in the summer) 60-70mpg and (winter) 50-55mpg and

im mostly highway...

so I have been looking at the tesla's and other electrics but their range isn't what I need as im 130 miles MIMIMUM and that is BARE... with kids sports, etc.. 150 miles but as said.. recharge station at work.

[snip]

I also hear the new tesla that they are going to make for $35k or so will also not have the range...

so I agree with others.. While the "tech" would be great like auto drive, etc... you can keep it.. give me a bigger battery and let me opt out of some of that so I can get my long commute in and be happy.....
I'm not saying, "buy a Tesla," but not sure why your range requirements rule it out. The basic battery does 220 Miles and the more expensive long range version does 300+

OTOH, for longer trips, it really depends where you live and where you're going. When I lived in Dallas, I looked at routing to relatives, and it was impossible to get there until about a year ago and even then it'd have added an hour or more to the trip in each direction. Where I'm at now, my driving is so limited that I could probably got a month on a single charge if I had model S or possibly even a 3 with the longer battery.

Last edited:
I'm not saying, "buy a Tesla," but not sure why your range requirements rule it out. The basic batter does 220 Miles and the more expensive long range version does 300+

OTOH, for longer trips, it really depends where you live and where you're going. When I lived in Dallas, I looked at routing to relatives, and it was impossible to get there until about a year ago and even then it'd have added an hour or more to the trip in each direction. Where I'm at now, my driving is so limited that I could probably got a month on a single charge if I had model S or possibly even a 3 with the longer battery.

were just talking and I'm not griping...
its simple math...

prius is costing me $262/m and with gas at $2.21/g yesterday... it is costing me $100 in gas thus...
$362 but lets round up to $400/m ...
tesla is $600-$700/m (for the $50k one now)...

and ive got 8 more car payments left then its all about just gas.. so even if it was $200/m in gas... for me, the best solution and I'm planning on driving this thing till I limp it into the junkyard with title in hand and say... how much....

so in 2013, I was supposed to buy the wife a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara JKU...
We went to a GMC dealership as I wanted to look at a GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z92... I couldn't afford it ($52k), or could I?
I was trading in a 2008 Silverado crew cab z71 that I drove on a commute of 65 miles each way @23mpg and would drive the wifes 2005 TrailBlazer EXT @ 24mpg.
Well I rolled out of the dealership in that new truck (Wife was ticked as it was her turn and she wanted a Jeep)...

well truck got 19mpg and cost me $680/m in gas plus $499/m in truck payment (with trade in and incentives, truck was too cheap to pass up).
drove it for 3 years and at 70k miles truck was going to need tires @ $425 each plus mounting and balance so close to $2000...

I decided it was time to get rid of the truck and buy what makes sense. I can afford the $1200/m for the truck but it is very selfish and wife wasn't happy again.. hah..
but I went out and looked at the BEST thing for economy driving.

Guy at work had the chevy volt on lease and he is 22 miles from work. we have charging stations at work but he could go from his house to work and mostly back and charge it up. still having a gas engine it was worth it for him, but for me... I would make it 2/3 way to work then @40ish mpg on gas....

im mostly highway...

View attachment 125082Prius-2 by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

so then truck still needed tires and wife still "discussed" how she never got her jeep... so here it is...

View attachment 125083Our new 2016 JKU Sahara by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

this guy was at dealership and checking out my truck being traded in, think they had it sold before I left the lot!!!!!

JKU on 40s!!!!
View attachment 125084JKU on 40's by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

now back to the meat and potatoes of this topic....

guy at work just bought a tesla and said they are in the $50k's.... with his VW tradein, he is at $630/m plus electric of say $40-$50/m...
so close to $700/m

my prius is $262/m plus $100-$150/m in gas... so

for a cost effective solution, electric cars, for me are still not there. Self drive.. yeah sounds nice...

so my long commute, I get tired and would love to hit auto pilot and I bought a camera for my car due to someone in dunkin donuts line backing into the jeep. I got out, guy pulled over and after looking at the jeep.. I was like.. just tapped bumper and no damage, looked up and guy was gone. yeah I could of called cops, said hit and run and they would of had to use DD and shoprite cameras but I said screw it..

my son got T-boned in a jeep he owned for 7 months.. he made a left and supposedly a guy came out of taco bell and nailed him. my son got deemed at fault and its frustrating so...
bought a Thinkware X500 with front/rear cameras as a pilot for my car... then when we got him a replacement car, bought him a Thinkware F770 front/rear camera...

the point of me bringing up the cameras is that they also gave me features that made me want to trade the prius in on... lane change detection, collision warning (albeit, new cars will brake but I just get chimes if im too close)…. but these features have quenched that thirst for now.

so my 2014 prius has turned 121k miles and ive only done oil changes, tire rotate, new tires @ 68k miles to Hankook 100k mile tires (so 50k on them and look great) and a headlight.
this car still has $3k to pay off and in gas it has paid for itself over and over again....

I thought of getting a new prius but even they went from $25k to $30-$35k for a comparable one like I have.... so now that puts me at a tesla price possibly....

I used to buy new cars every 2-3years... love it... BUT im starting to not care anymore, and im gonna drive this prius until I limp it to the junkyard with title in hand and ask how much in scrap and go buy a new something but it seems im gonna have many years to go....

I didn't know they still made Ground Hawgs. I thought those went out in the 80s. :ROFLMAO:
Because that electricity is free, right?

And those plugs were installed to be billed, right?
Are you suggesting charge people for using those plugs? Or are you suggesting that since the plugs are there, anyone should be able to use them free of charge?

People already use them free of charge for various reasons. If they weren't for public use they would be locked up, or signage in place to state such, just like parking spots. It's not theft if it's complimentary.

Are you suggesting charge people for using those plugs? Or are you suggesting that since the plugs are there, anyone should be able to use them free of charge?

People already use them free of charge for various reasons. If they weren't for public use they would be locked up, or signage in place to state such, just like parking spots. It's not theft if it's complimentary.
So lining up cars one after another to charge their batteries to full at ~$7 a whack is complimentary?

If your neighbor has a garden hose out, do you just waltz over and fill your swimming pool?

Reductio ad absurdum.

People already use these outlets.

So lining up cars one after another to charge their batteries to full at ~$7 a whack is complimentary?

If your neighbor has a garden hose out, do you just waltz over and fill your swimming pool?

Reductio ad absurdum.

People already use these outlets.
Bibo ergo sum.

See, I can it too.

You remind me of a neighbor I once had. I was redoing my dirt driveway over the course of a few days. One day my wheel barrow and shovel were missing. Couldn't figure it out. Few days later, my neighbor stops by to drop them off. Says since they were outside, he walked over and grabbed them; he had some yard work to do.

Something to consider is that electric cars are cheaper to run than gasoline ones, so when factoring that an electric can have a somewhat higher initial cost and still be the fiscally better option. Checking fueleconomy.gov, it estimates that a Model 3 cost $550 to power for a year, while a Honda Accord cost $1300. So it looks like electric cars need to get within $3k-$4k of a similar gas car to be a no-brainer over the typical 5 year loan period.

Yeah unless you live someplace cold and the mileage is halved and cost doubled.

It took me five hours to get home in a November snow storm in PA. Last year people were stuck on the highway for 27 hours.

All electrics don’t make sense when you look close enough. Hybrids I am more of a fan of.

Back