Terrible gaming experience with Ryzen 1700

2 updates from OP since he said he would sell it
No response to the ppl offering to buy though .... hmmm

Can't speak for Planetside 2 but it seems a lot of people running Ryzen are getting drops to 40-50 fps in big fights if you google is a little bit.

For Battlefield just turn ON the future frame options and give it another try. My Haswell based laptop CPU couldn't handle BFV with that option off so turning it on give a huge boost in performance but you do get a little more input lag.

I'm going to take it apart and sell the parts. Original Ryzen sucks for my needs. I'll go back to messing with my Xeon X5690.

Proof it's a troll. Westmere has extremely deficient IPC as compared to Ryzen, at a much larger power footprint. The Ryzen eats Westmere for breakfast in everything. You have a bad component in your system and are unwilling or unable to determine which it is.

Can't speak for Planetside 2 but it seems a lot of people running Ryzen are getting drops to 40-50 fps in big fights if you google is a little bit.

For Battlefield just turn ON the future frame options and give it another try. My Haswell based laptop CPU couldn't handle BFV with that option off so turning it on give a huge boost in performance but you do get a little more input lag.

again shamelessplug
I believe planetside3 is one of the games Project mercury also helps boost FPS on a ryzen platform
Somebody in rededit tested it

It really sounds like the OP stares at the FPS counter more than he/she plays the game.

Proof it's a troll. Westmere has extremely deficient IPC as compared to Ryzen, at a much larger power footprint. The Ryzen eats Westmere for breakfast in everything. You have a bad component in your system and are unwilling or unable to determine which it is.

Ryzen 1700 3.9Ghz w/ R9-Fury X (8GB Dual channel DDR4 3200)
Cinebench
OpenGL: 110.98FPS
Multi-core: 1741
Single-Core: 162

Xeon X5690 4.5Ghz w/ R9-FuryX (24GB Triple channel 1600mhz ram)
Cinebench
OpenGL: 110.84FPS
Multi-core: 1022
Single-Core: 136

I7-6700K 4.7Ghz w/ R9-FuryX (16GB Dual channel DDR4 3000)
Cinebench
OpenGL: 178.20
Multi-core: 1021
Single-Core: 201

That's not trolling, that is benchmarking. That's a CPU from 2011 almost matching a new Ryzen 7 in Single core. My old 2500K at 4.5Ghz got 155 on Cinebench single core. My I3-8100 which is not overclocked scored 154 single core cinebench.

If you can score better than that on a 1700, please post your Cinebench single core score.

This was originally a post for help with my 1700. From reading the replies, I decided to sell.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

FYI, I didn't replace my 6700K. The Ryzen is a project rig which I use for rendering, etc (It doubles the 6700K's score in Cinebench multi). I figured I would try to get it to run gaming as well, I would sell my 6700K, but it sucks for gaming. I've built many-a-rig. Its running in Dual channel XMS ram 3200Mhz. The Furyx is my old card so I figured I would toss it in. My 6700K uses a Vega56, but I threw that in and didn't see much improvement in fps anyways. I just checked and Planetside doesn't send one core over 60% usage and my FuryX ran Planetside fine when I paired it with my 6700K. Also, I run at 1440P. I have a GTX1060 3GB, maybe I'll toss that in for shits and giggles and see how it runs.(I can't imagine it would run at 1440P at all, the 1060 is a 1080P card). I managed to get the Ryzen to 4.0Ghz, but I found performance was worse at that speed.

I agree, the 1700 should run at 75Hz all day long on any title at 1440P, but it doesn't. Just can't figure it out. Is there some setting I'm completely missing in Ryzen master or in the bios which is hindering performance? Which benchmark should I run which will really analyze the rig and see where the problem lies? Do you really think its the 8gigs of ram? I don't think Planetside uses up the whole 4GB of ram in the GPU. I'll run afterburner and see how much ram its using, but I don't think its all 4.

Thanks again

I highlighted two sections/sentences...IF you overclocked to 4.0GHz and you get worse performance, you've most likely misconfigured either Ryzen Master, BIOS or BOTH.

Your posts make it sound as if you don't want to be bothered to research and correct the misconfiguration. In that case, there's nothing anyone can do to help you because you don't want to fix it

Ryzen 1700 3.9Ghz w/ R9-Fury X (8GB Dual channel DDR4 3200)
Cinebench
OpenGL: 110.98FPS
Multi-core: 1741
Single-Core: 162

Xeon X5690 4.5Ghz w/ R9-FuryX (24GB Triple channel 1600mhz ram)
Cinebench
OpenGL: 110.84FPS
Multi-core: 1022
Single-Core: 136

I7-6700K 4.7Ghz w/ R9-FuryX (16GB Dual channel DDR4 3000)
Cinebench
OpenGL: 178.20
Multi-core: 1021
Single-Core: 201

That's not trolling, that is benchmarking. That's a CPU from 2011 almost matching a new Ryzen 7 in Single core. My old 2500K at 4.5Ghz got 155 on Cinebench single core. My I3-8100 which is not overclocked scored 154 single core cinebench.

If you can score better than that on a 1700, please post your Cinebench single core score.

This was originally a post for help with my 1700. From reading the replies, I decided to sell.

This was originally a post about a problem with gaming performance, not Cinebench, so why are you posting that when it's not germane to the thread?

So let me get this straight. Op makes a thread with a performance issue. Gets numerous tips on how to improve performance and also is told his cpu has a somewhat lower single core performance than his old cpu. Instead of trying to troubleshoot anything, he immediately decides to sell the ryzen and use some ancient xeon that's worse than the ryzen....? Am I following this?

So let me get this straight. Op makes a thread with a performance issue. Gets numerous tips on how to improve performance and also is told his cpu has a somewhat lower single core performance than his old cpu. Instead of trying to troubleshoot anything, he immediately decides to sell the ryzen and use some ancient xeon that's worse than the ryzen....? Am I following this?

This usually happens when someone only watches Jayztwocents.

Nailed it in 1.

True though it could be CCX related, I would play with project mercury that another member developed (I think it may be stickied somewhere).

Of course its trolling

Did you just insinuate his nationality?
ger·mane
/jərˈmān/
adjective
adjective: germane
  1. relevant to a subject under consideration.
    "that is not germane to our theme"
    synonyms: relevant, pertinent, applicable, apposite, material; More
    apropos, appropriate, apt, fitting, suitable;
    connected, related, akin;
    on-topic
    "your question is not germane to the topic at hand"
    antonyms: irrelevant
Origin
upload_2019-1-4_13-24-54.png

early 17th century: variant of german, with which it was synonymous from Middle English. The current sense has arisen from a usage in Shakespeare's Hamlet .
Translate germane to
Use over time for: germane

I always re-install my OS when switching platforms.
Source of opinion: I do this for a job, volunteer to administer a small domain system at Church, and sell systems on the side as a hobby.
I've imaged many more systems than most. In one year alone working on a helpdesk I imaged over 880 systems.

I am over-fucking-whelmed at your vast experience.

(y)

ger·mane
/jərˈmān/
adjective
    on-topic
Origin
View attachment 132802
early 17th century: variant of german, with which it was synonymous from Middle English. The current sense has arisen from a usage in Shakespeare's Hamlet .
Translate germane to
Yup.... :)

ger·mane
/jərˈmān/
adjective
    on-topic
Origin
View attachment 132802
Translate germane to
Thanks professor :p

Been building PCs for decades. Benchmarking as well. I was the first guy on my block to have a FX-60. I had a 9700Pro. I love AMD. Just this CPU was disappointing. I expected more. I am totally perceiving IPC differences, because with the same GPU, the gameplay is smoother on the Intel. I double and triple checked everything, nothing was set wrong. The CPU ran fine, did great in Cinebench on multi-core, but the 6700K destroyed it in single core. Hell, my X5670 almost hits the 1700 in single core. Hell, my I3-8100 matches the 1700 in single core and its not even a K series cpu. I am keeping my 2200G in my Wive's computer. Runs fine and does everything she needs, she isn't a gamer. But, if you think a 6700K to a 1700 is an upgrade for anything but productivity you are fooling yourself. It makes me sad though. I like project PCs and benchmarking them. Sincel I am selling the CPU and returning the Mobo. I will also sell my 1060 3 gb and my fury X and vega 56 and maybe consider a 2080ti. Unless you think Navi is going to be awesome...I always hold out for AMD.

So IPC (instructions per clock) is roughly the same between a 6700k and a 1st gen ryzen, so you're not noticing any IPC difference. What you're noticing is 20% higher clocks on the 6700k - which should yield around 20% higher performance in single thread cpu limited benchmarks (which is pretty much exactly what your SB single thread is showing). It's not an IPC difference, it's a pure clock speed difference.

However, you shouldn't be running into CPU limits at 1440P 75fps, at least not with a 3.9ghz 1st gen ryzen. Both the 1700 and 6700k should provide well over 100fps if they have enough GPU power attached to them, that's what's odd about the scenario.

Well, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It sucks at gaming.

Ryzen 1700 OC to 3.9Ghz
8 gigs DDR4-3200 (Some name brand, can't remember, but its good!)
2 SSD. One for OS one for games
R9-Fury X (I also tried a Vega 56).

Are there settings I am totally missing? I compare it to my I7 6700K OCed to 4.5Ghz with the same Vega 56.

The I7 just beats the pants off the Ryzen 1700. I am running a 75hz monitor, so I only need to max out 75fps, but the Ryen feels like a dud!

Should have waited for Zen 2, its not far off, and you should have known better that a 1700 would get smacked by a 6700k in gaming.

Should have waited for Zen 2, its not far off, and you should have known better that a 1700 would get smacked by a 6700k in gaming.

Did you try and DDU the drivers and do the absolute latest drivers from AMD? Your card might be throttling due to corrupt drivers.

I did the latest drivers. There was no throttling. Its cool. I was hoping the gaming would be close enough to not be an issue, but it was.

How much FPS difference are you seeing exactly? I know you said the fps was lower than your 6700K but you never mentioned how much lower. I assume you already sold or got rid of the system? If not, did you try the render frame ahead option in battlefield like I mentioned?

How much FPS difference are you seeing exactly? I know you said the fps was lower than your 6700K but you never mentioned how much lower. I assume you already sold or got rid of the system? If not, did you try the render frame ahead option in battlefield like I mentioned?
Sorry. My monitor is a 75Hz HP Omen at 1440P. In Planetside, with the 6700K, I usually stay at 75fps or higher with occasional drops from the mid 40's to mid 60's with big bloom effects, etc. With the 1700, I rarely stayed at 75fps, with it usually closer to 60fps with dips in the 40s.
The choppiness was very noticible. It was not a smooth experience with either the Vega 56, R9 Fury X, or the GTX 1060.

Looking to see how the Zen2 does. I've had the 6700K for 3 years now and I am itching for an upgrade, but not a sidegrade.

Sorry. My monitor is a 75Hz HP Omen at 1440P. In Planetside, with the 6700K, I usually stay at 75fps or higher with occasional drops from the mid 40's to mid 60's with big bloom effects, etc. With the 1700, I rarely stayed at 75fps, with it usually closer to 60fps with dips in the 40s.
The choppiness was very noticible. It was not a smooth experience with either the Vega 56, R9 Fury X, or the GTX 1060.

Sounds about right for 1st gen Ryzen if your 6700K are getting those numbers.

First of all, there's almost never a time where the 1700 @3.9ghz is an upgrade in gaming to the 6700k @4.7. The IPC of both is similar, but the 6700k has a entire 20% clock speed advantage.

Second, if you're getting stuttering on the 1700 you don't have enough RAM for the game you're playing, or your overclock of RAM or CPU is not stable.

I've had the 1700 practically since release, the only time I had issues is with stuttering/pausing was the first few months. My Mushkin Reactor 1TB was not playing well with it but eventually, either through windows patches, or bios updates, the issue was resolved and no longer happens. (In the Witcher 3 the game would stop playing music & stop loading in models while disk activity was at 100% for 10-20 seconds in task manager)

Reactions: Nobu
like this

I have a 1070ti + 2600x - doesnt happen to me.

I also have a 2950x with XOC reflashed 1080ti @ 2080mhz 6000mhz vram and I get none of that drop either. What do the statistics say about the type of GPUs that are being used that are getting 50 fps drops in planet side 2? Really curious if there is something that can be linked to this claim out there that people are experiencing.

Hrrmm.. 1440p is quite a bit of resolution for any of those GPUs to push. I wonder if you are just GPU limited... one way to find out is rather simple. edit* Ok I make one exception with the Vega 56. It should handle 1440p pretty good.

Load something like MSI afterburner and just do a qualitative examination i.e.:

play the game with the settings you desire. Does your GPU usage exceed your CPU usage %? If it does you are GPU limited. If your CPU exceeds your GPU then you are CPU limited and the CPU cant handle feeding the GPU fast enough. This is the most mundane and basic observation and is not perfectly reliable but it is a good surface layer indication of what of the two components are holding you back if any.

You did make mention of a potential performance bug in the game so that might simply the issue. Has the focus of your entire thread been just concerning only planetside 2? What about other games? Sorry if you covered this. This thread is getting very long and detailed.

Can you data log your processor and GPU while gaming? Look and see if your CPU and GPU are holding steady high frequency clocks? You may see some throttling happening which could be an issue.

Lastly call AMD. Report the issue, RMA the chip under warranty and have them send you a new 2700x or whatever is the contemporary replacement unless they send you another 1700x and the problem resolves. The 1700x is a very fast processor and certainly should not be acting the ways you described good luck sir/maam!

Last edited:
I have a 1070ti + 2600x - doesnt happen to me.

I also have a 2950x with XOC reflashed 1080ti @ 2080mhz 6000mhz vram and I get none of that drop either. What do the statistics say about the type of GPUs that are being used that are getting 50 fps drops in planet side 2? Really curious if there is something that can be linked to this claim out there that people are experiencing.

Hrrmm.. 1440p is quite a bit of resolution for any of those GPUs to push. I wonder if you are just GPU limited... one way to find out is rather simple. edit* Ok I make one exception with the Vega 56. It should handle 1440p pretty good.

Load something like MSI afterburner and just do a qualitative examination i.e.:

play the game with the settings you desire. Does your GPU usage exceed your CPU usage %? If it does you are GPU limited. If your CPU exceeds your GPU then you are CPU limited and the CPU cant handle feeding the GPU fast enough. This is the most mundane and basic observation and is not perfectly reliable but it is a good surface layer indication of what of the two components are holding you back if any.

You did make mention of a potential performance bug in the game so that might simply the issue. Has the focus of your entire thread been just concerning only planetside 2? What about other games? Sorry if you covered this. This thread is getting very long and detailed.

Can you data log your processor and GPU while gaming? Look and see if your CPU and GPU are holding steady high frequency clocks? You may see some throttling happening which could be an issue.

Lastly call AMD. Report the issue, RMA the chip under warranty and have them send you a new 2700x or whatever is the contemporary replacement unless they send you another 1700x and the problem resolves. The 1700x is a very fast processor and certainly should not be acting the ways you described good luck sir/maam!

No idea, I only did a quick google and it's the first link for me.. Ryzen Planetside 2. Also his FPS for the 6700K didn't seem that much higher than the Ryzen anyways to begin with.

Ok. I am going to put it back together before I return anything and try one more time. Should I put in my 16gigs of DDR3000 instead of the 8 gigs of DDR3200?
Also, on a MSI B350 Tomahawk, should I overclock in bios or using Ryzen master?
What settings (all of them) should I put in there?
I will also toss in my Vega 56. So, 1440P is what I play at.

Thanks!

Ok. I am going to put it back together before I return anything and try one more time. Should I put in my 16gigs of DDR3000 instead of the 8 gigs of DDR3200?
Also, on a MSI B350 Tomahawk, should I overclock in bios or using Ryzen master?
What settings (all of them) should I put in there?
I will also toss in my Vega 56. So, 1440P is what I play at.

Thanks!

Yes to 16GB the videocard is using 8GB that means games will have to use a large chunk of ram to mirror access from the gpu.

Need more info. Settings, etc. I will set voltage to 1.35. Anything else? Stock cooler? Any other settings?

Ok, running benchmarks. If you have any settings I should change, let me know.

Back