Terrible gaming experience with Ryzen 1700

It's not that it's bad, it's just that a 6700k is a better processor for gaming because it has better single core and quad core performance. I don't think OP has any actual issue. I think he's just expecting that a slower CPU is somehow better because it's newer... Also worth mentioning that 8gb of ram is barely enough for games in 2018 2019

also OP make sure you install the chipset driver from AMD.

well OP is saying he cant hit 75 fps so clearly something is going on. If he had a higher HZ monitor I would probably recommend intel but ryzen should be performing as bad as he is saying it is. I would probably say fresh install and make sure ram is running at stated speeds and yep you are right need 16gb these days to be on the safe side. Alot of newer games will dip heavily with 8gb.

well OP is saying he cant hit 75 fps so clearly something is going on. If he had a higher HZ monitor I would probably recommend intel but ryzen should be performing as bad as he is saying it is. I would probably say fresh install and make sure ram is running at stated speeds and yep you are right need 16gb these days to be on the safe side. Alot of newer games will dip heavily with 8gb.
I seem to have missed where he said the resolution, but assuming its higher than 1080p, 75fps at max settings in some games might be just out of reach. I'm not familiar with the games he mentioned though. But his benchmark scores seem to be where they should be.

I seem to have missed where he said the resolution, but assuming its higher than 1080p, 75fps at max settings in some games might be just out of reach. I'm not familiar with the games he mentioned though. But his benchmark scores seem to be where they should be.

if its 75hz its likely not above 1440P. Keep in mind at higher resolutions the bottleneck becomes the GPU. So the higher the resolution less likely its CPU holding back. Whether you got 6700k or 1700x there may be a difference of 1 or 2 fps.

Guys, its a fresh install of Windows 10 64bit. Clean install of the Radeon drivers. Using Radeon Master to Overclock to 3.9Ghz. What other benchmarks do you want?

Planetside 2 runs mostly over 60fps, it hits 75fps, but rarely stays there.

planetside 2 engine is just dogshit bad but even my r5 1600 3.4/3.7Ghz has no problem doing 85-120fps ultra settings with a 1070 @ 1080p while my 1600 is definitely bottlenecking my gpu in that game a 1700 @ 3.9Ghz is definitely not the cause for your frame rate issues in PS2.

if its 75hz its likely not above 1440P. Keep in mind at higher resolutions the bottleneck becomes the GPU. So the higher the resolution less likely its CPU holding back. Whether you got 6700k or 1700x there may be a difference of 1 or 2 fps.

True. Then that would lead to his video card or possibly memory being the problem. Don't these fury x cards need to be set into performance mode in the Adrenalin software?

As already told, 8GB of RAM is not enough by today gaming standards. You need 16GB (or at least 12GB). Then, you need graphics card with at least 8GB of RAM.RX 570/580 as long aGB is much much betters it has 8GB. 6 GB for GTX 1060 are probably not enough. So Fuji with 4GB is not enough and Vega 56 with 8GB is much much better. Even better Vega GPU can address RAM, not only Video RAM

FuryX relies on system RAM to mitigate its lack of VRAM above 4 GB. It's also dependent on AMD maintaining the drivers to detect the game correctly and use system RAM accordingly. So, lack of RAM and using slow RAM are only going to exacerbate system problems. Unless you're playing a game that must have the fastest single core performance, Ryzen processors are unlikely to be the only bottleneck in your system.

Ryzen may not be the best gaming processor but it sure as hell isn't bad for games (and I say this as someone with Intel in my system so you can throw the bias card out the window for my observation).

Thanks for the feedback.

FYI, I didn't replace my 6700K. The Ryzen is a project rig which I use for rendering, etc (It doubles the 6700K's score in Cinebench multi). I figured I would try to get it to run gaming as well, I would sell my 6700K, but it sucks for gaming. I've built many-a-rig. Its running in Dual channel XMS ram 3200Mhz. The Furyx is my old card so I figured I would toss it in. My 6700K uses a Vega56, but I threw that in and didn't see much improvement in fps anyways. I just checked and Planetside doesn't send one core over 60% usage and my FuryX ran Planetside fine when I paired it with my 6700K. Also, I run at 1440P. I have a GTX1060 3GB, maybe I'll toss that in for shits and giggles and see how it runs.(I can't imagine it would run at 1440P at all, the 1060 is a 1080P card). I managed to get the Ryzen to 4.0Ghz, but I found performance was worse at that speed.

I agree, the 1700 should run at 75Hz all day long on any title at 1440P, but it doesn't. Just can't figure it out. Is there some setting I'm completely missing in Ryzen master or in the bios which is hindering performance? Which benchmark should I run which will really analyze the rig and see where the problem lies? Do you really think its the 8gigs of ram? I don't think Planetside uses up the whole 4GB of ram in the GPU. I'll run afterburner and see how much ram its using, but I don't think its all 4.

Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback.

FYI, I didn't replace my 6700K. The Ryzen is a project rig which I use for rendering, etc (It doubles the 6700K's score in Cinebench multi). I figured I would try to get it to run gaming as well, I would sell my 6700K, but it sucks for gaming. I've built many-a-rig. Its running in Dual channel XMS ram 3200Mhz. The Furyx is my old card so I figured I would toss it in. My 6700K uses a Vega56, but I threw that in and didn't see much improvement in fps anyways. I just checked and Planetside doesn't send one core over 60% usage and my FuryX ran Planetside fine when I paired it with my 6700K. Also, I run at 1440P. I have a GTX1060 3GB, maybe I'll toss that in for shits and giggles and see how it runs.(I can't imagine it would run at 1440P at all, the 1060 is a 1080P card). I managed to get the Ryzen to 4.0Ghz, but I found performance was worse at that speed.

I agree, the 1700 should run at 75Hz all day long on any title at 1440P, but it doesn't. Just can't figure it out. Is there some setting I'm completely missing in Ryzen master or in the bios which is hindering performance? Which benchmark should I run which will really analyze the rig and see where the problem lies? Do you really think its the 8gigs of ram? I don't think Planetside uses up the whole 4GB of ram in the GPU. I'll run afterburner and see how much ram its using, but I don't think its all 4.

Thanks again
Run MSI Afterburner overlayed while you play. Is you CPU clock actually at 3.9ghz? Is you RAM Clock that high? GPU clocks? voltage dropping?How high are temps? is the clockspeed fluctuating?

Disable windows game mode. disable other overlays. make sure you are not accidentally recording gameplay footage with relive or other things. Use driver cleaner. Run games in full screen mode and not windowed or fullscreen (windowed).

Did you install chipset drivers? That helped me a bit with some issues. Also try disabling full screen optimizations and/or DPI scaling in the compatibility tab of properties for some games helps. I had one guy whose CPU was stuck at 1.5ghz under load and the chipset drivers fixed that...

Do you have 16gb of ram you can try in there? again, 8gb is not enough and is likely your issue, even if it's not using as much, it will generally use more RAM if you have more available.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks again
at 1440p, theres potentially a good chance your utilizing all 4gb of your vram, when that happens, it dumps it into your system ram, and if that gets used up, it dumps it to whatever hdd/ssd your using, however theres no way to know forsure without running some on screen display stuff... something like msi afterburner with rtss or the likes..... additionally, ensure you running the latest amd chipset drivers, and enable the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power plan in windows, I hear that is suppose to help the 1000 series cpus, not so much the 2000 series (mine runs faster on windows balanced/high performance....but I got a 2000 series...) also, just beware some games are just ultimately optimized for intel cpus, and vice versa..... additionally as your already aware intels single core IPC is faster, so generally speaking if the game is not utilizing all the cores, yeah the intel system will be faster.....

I know nothing of planetside personally, maybe its just shiet….

Put your Vega 56 into the Ryzen machine and see how it does. I don’t agree with elite.mafia that 8 GB isn’t enough system RAM for gaming. Timestamp 3:05 and many other similar test conclusions...

Another example with 12 games and 1440p used on all games. I suspect the minor difference in FPS is due to single channel vs dual channel in this benchmark vs actual capacity 8 vs 16 GB. None of the games tested showed any serious drop with 8GB of System RAM.

There is only a few games that require more than 8 GB of RAM if the rest of your system is running lean.

You may be butting up against the 4GB VRAM limitation of the fury x at 1440p which will manifest itself as severe slowdown. If this is the case drop the texure quality to medium and turn off AA and you should get a huge performance bump and not just like a 5 to 20% jump if you were hitting that VRAM limitation.

Last edited:
for a quick speed bump for a ryzen cpu where software is not utilizing all cores.:

My Project mercury can give some nice fps boost. Aome ppl have reportet 23% increase in fps their games from avoiding SMT conflictt and CCX jumping.

I'm going to take it apart and sell the parts. Original Ryzen sucks for my needs. I'll go back to messing with my Xeon X5690.

I'm going to take it apart and sell the parts. Original Ryzen sucks for my needs. I'll go back to messing with my Xeon X5690.

Were you using RyzenMaster?

When I was using it, it disabled half my cores because I used it wrong.

My 1600X runs 3.9 all day long and it's pretty damn good at gaming, actually.

I do use 2x the RAM you have, though

my motherboard is making my systme unstalbe even a stock clocs ( prime95 blend)
If you want to sell the mobo for a cheap price let me know

not sure why he doesn't just open task manager while gaming and see what the RAM utilization is. Prolly a moot point now, since it seems he's given up. Wasn't much of a thread as he really didn't seem to want to resolve the issue. Maybe the best thing to do is to sell everything like he states he's going to do.... Such a shame!

What are you saying? Its rediculous as F to be honest that ryzen SHOULD be running as bad?!?!

I used to have a 1700x and it would deliver far more tha 75 fps in almost any game.

If you've never owned one you are just fake news.

In reality until the OP does a full reinstall this thread is useless to him and us to further discuss imo.

What are you saying? Its rediculous as F to be honest that ryzen SHOULD be running as bad?!?!

I used to have a 1700x and it would deliver far more tha 75 fps in almost any game.

In reality until the OP does a full reinstall this thread is useless to him and us to further discuss imo.
I agree he should try a reload but I think nkd just typeo'd, the should should be shouldn't.

I told you its a fresh install of Windows, fully updated. The Ryzen 1700 is just not as good for gaming as the 6700K. I game more than I render, so why bother with lower FPS than with my 6700K?
The Mobo is being returned to Amazon. I will sell the CPU on Ebay or something. Maybe its returnable to Newegg.

What temp is your cpu running when gaming, same for gpu.

You can track your ram usage, I doubt that's the problem.

Next time when asking for help try not to use inflammatory terms. Peeps get their feelenz hurt when you talk smack about their tribe.:stop:

Examples of good titles include;
Are these framerates typical for this cpu.
or
Why are my fps lower than I expected.
Or
What have I done wrong to get such low fps with my 1700x

This way no one get's triggered and the quality of help increases tremendously.

Last edited:
Gaming wise, the Ryzen 1700 is not an upgrade to the 6700K, you downgraded.

Pretty much. Still not sure why everyone is clamoring for a W10 reinstall, again he did a fresh reinstall that is obviously not the problem!

i have a ryzen system with a 1700 and 1700x what games and what's the issue.

both with 3200 mhz ram one with 8 and one with 16gb.

i'll see if i can mimic it.

Just a note: I had it running cool on a 240MM AIO Coolermaster. Never went over 60C. I just personally believe that the IPC is lower than what I am used to with the 6700K (OCed to 4.7Ghz). hence, the FPS is that much lower. Otherwise, the cpu is completely stable and runs fine, but I can't move backwards.

I agree he should try a reload but I think nkd just typeo'd, the should should be shouldn't.

Ok maybe so ...but given the history of some of the members on this forum there is an outright attack on AMD no matter how good they do. Just amd amd amd sucks blah over and over is what we hear from a large portion of members.

However, if it was a typo, then like Kyle suggested I have once again put my foot in my mouth and made a baseless accusation. Which I apologize for and will try and stop doing if indeed I do.

Just a note: I had it running cool on a 240MM AIO Coolermaster. Never went over 60C. I just personally believe that the IPC is lower than what I am used to with the 6700K (OCed to 4.7Ghz). hence, the FPS is that much lower. Otherwise, the cpu is completely stable and runs fine, but I can't move backwards.

You are not perceiving IPC differences in a game between these two processors. Try again.

Sounds like you don't know know much and instead of saying such you toss knee-jerk reactions out.

Been building PCs for decades. Benchmarking as well. I was the first guy on my block to have a FX-60. I had a 9700Pro. I love AMD. Just this CPU was disappointing. I expected more. I am totally perceiving IPC differences, because with the same GPU, the gameplay is smoother on the Intel. I double and triple checked everything, nothing was set wrong. The CPU ran fine, did great in Cinebench on multi-core, but the 6700K destroyed it in single core. Hell, my X5670 almost hits the 1700 in single core. Hell, my I3-8100 matches the 1700 in single core and its not even a K series cpu. I am keeping my 2200G in my Wive's computer. Runs fine and does everything she needs, she isn't a gamer. But, if you think a 6700K to a 1700 is an upgrade for anything but productivity you are fooling yourself. It makes me sad though. I like project PCs and benchmarking them. Sincel I am selling the CPU and returning the Mobo. I will also sell my 1060 3 gb and my fury X and vega 56 and maybe consider a 2080ti. Unless you think Navi is going to be awesome...I always hold out for AMD.

Your conclusion that Ryzen is poor for gaming simply isn’t true.

Demonstrable by many sources.

Check out 1440p benchmarks here for a good many games and a lot of different processors.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K/12.html

I have a Intel 6850k and don’t own a Ryzen, but I’ve built a few Ryzen 1700 systems and they are fine for gaming and score well in benchmarks and do well in general use. Hardforum reviews show no qualm in using them for gaming too.

Any delta in gaming is going to be pretty minimal at 1440p between your 6700k and a Ryzen. If you were seeing big performance differences —- SOMETHING WAS WRONG.

Last edited:

dude it was a typo. I made a mistake. LOL! It should have read RYZEN SHOULD "NOT" be performing as bad as that. I had a 2700x recently sold in anticipation of an upgrade to zen 2. You can search my for sale thread. Or read my other thread comments in this thread. lol

Last edited:
Everyone knows, (or should know) that Intel is still king in single core performance. Its mulit-threaded & processing tasks where the Ryzen shines. Yes, its a good gaming CPU, but not when you buy a downgrade such as the 6700K to a 1700. Not bashing AMD here, can't wait to build a Zen 2 machine, but it is what it is. Hopefully Zen 2 can be the breakout gaming CPU we want and need.

OP, you should have done your homework before purchasing that. I own a 6700K too, was going to upgrade but the numbers just aren't there to justify and upgrade for gaming at the moment.

Weird, guess I need to have a talk with my Ryzen 5 1600 about how it's getting me 80+ fps in games at 1440p.

Been building PCs for decades. Benchmarking as well. I was the first guy on my block to have a FX-60. I had a 9700Pro. I love AMD. Just this CPU was disappointing. I expected more. I am totally perceiving IPC differences, because with the same GPU, the gameplay is smoother on the Intel. I double and triple checked everything, nothing was set wrong. The CPU ran fine, did great in Cinebench on multi-core, but the 6700K destroyed it in single core. Hell, my X5670 almost hits the 1700 in single core. Hell, my I3-8100 matches the 1700 in single core and its not even a K series cpu. I am keeping my 2200G in my Wive's computer. Runs fine and does everything she needs, she isn't a gamer. But, if you think a 6700K to a 1700 is an upgrade for anything but productivity you are fooling yourself. It makes me sad though. I like project PCs and benchmarking them. Sincel I am selling the CPU and returning the Mobo. I will also sell my 1060 3 gb and my fury X and vega 56 and maybe consider a 2080ti. Unless you think Navi is going to be awesome...I always hold out for AMD.

Please don't. You'll only disappoint yourself and end up making some stupid thread about your woes and how they let you down.

Back