Terminator: Dark Fate Bombs! *Warning Minor Spoiler*

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by PeaKr, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

One of my favs. Before Dani's purpose is revealed Sarah says, "You're not the threat, it's your womb."

:ROFLMAO:

2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

My gif was meant to be sarcastic. I'm not triggered by the film.

3. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I know right, totally a donut face moment. Now imagine if they said "Try not to be so black or mexican".

4. Krenum

If you're a fan of the original two movies you should be, not because of its political agenda, but because the movie is awful.

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

Oh yes, the movie is definitely an awful trainwreck. I won't argue that point.

6. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Neither I'm I. I just think it's hilarious how cringe inducing some of the dialog was. If you missed it, I actually kind of enjoyed the movie despite it shitting all over the lore.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  7. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

another SJW movie flops, imagine that

8. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Gawd

Now for my favorite reviewing and political commentary asshole's review. I love this guy:

DooKey, Ranulfo, YeuEmMaiMai and 2 others like this.
  9. YeuEmMaiMai

Where they should have focused on was the future war it's self it would have been a lot better than this steaming pile of poo

Krenum and Legendary Gamer like this.
  10. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

Yeah, I'd still be up for that. Especially if it's in the really bleak period hinted at during the Future War scenes from T1.

I'd also be up for a T-800 aged Arnold (with his conscience programming) fighting alongside a grown up John Connor. I tell you, that's the way they would win the war against the Terminators - affect their programming with a conscience en masse.

11. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

I'll probably still see it.....when it's out on a streaming service that I currently subscribe to.

I'll just sit back and watch it as a stand-alone action movie, and disconnect my experience from the real Terminator franchise: T1 + T2.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  12. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I laughed in the theater at this line -- because, with respect to crossing into Mexico at the border with the US, I am too damn white to freely travel in that area.

I prefer my obituary to not have to step around the fact that I died while being dissolved in acid, thanks.

Armenius likes this.
  13. Krenum

Agreed, it should have been focused on in Terminator 3 back in 2003. But they can't seem to get out of doing the same rehashed story line over and over and over.

For this reason, I kind of liked Terminator Salvation.

Armenius and YeuEmMaiMai like this.
  14. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

It's insane how they can't manage to break themselves out of the "protector and attacker sent from the future" plot (aside from Salvation like you said, which I do give some credit to for doing that.) All I can figure is that all the producers and executives are so scurred about making a return on their investment that they won't allow anything different. You have to believe there are/were scripts/treatments floating around in the Hollywood industry for a Terminator movie that goes beyond that but just get repeatedly shot down.

Whatever, I consider T1 and T2 to be the only real Terminator films anyway.

15. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

I bolded the part relevant to my reply.

Yes, and that's a good reason to be pissed, because you said it yourself in a way: there was no reason for replacing a male with a female. They did not justify Jon's death at all. The killed him right at the start, then proceeded to do nothing more than duplicate T2's plot. That tells me it was done for "woke" reasons as opposed to anything in service of the derivative plot.

Armenius, Dan_D and GoldenTiger like this.
  16. YeuEmMaiMai

well at least with T3 we got to see how Skynet actually started....and that movie ended on a fairly dark note

Krenum likes this.
  17. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I think John Connor was horribly miscast in that one. Not only that, but Linda Hamilton not coming back and the way they sort of wrote her out like she wasn't all that important beyond her baby making skills was a let down. There is too much comedy in the film courtesy of the T-850. T3 also decided to switch it up by making the T-850 only respond to John's future wife as he had died in the future like he wasn't big deal either. You could argue his job was done at that point because they had more or less won by then, but more emphasis was placed on John's staff rather than John himself. It's somewhat out of line with the earlier stories where he didn't sound quite so disposable. The picture of the future is painted as though John couldn't function without his future wife. The way they dismiss John and make Katherine better at everything than he is despite John literally being raised to combat the machines never made any sense.

Of course, it could be argued the movie was ahead of its time as a female empowerment flick. If you think about it, it was largely made in line with today's girl power films. Not only did Katherine largely make John into a bumbling fool and a useless third wheel, but the Terminator X had a female appearance who knew to make her tits bigger when confronted by the cops implying that a male police officer couldn't possibly be professional enough to do his job when an attractive woman was involved. Honestly, it made very little sense for a Terminator to take a female form anyway, as the bulk of the fighting would be done by men in the future. Women would need to breed like crazy to give humanity a fighting chance given their disadvantage in numbers. An anti-Terminator, is what she was billed as in the story, yet again, there wasn't a reason for her to be female. It just felt like "this ones better because its a girl" which is the impression you get from the script as a whole because that's what it does at every turn. Katherine Brewster is better than John, the T-X is better than the T-850, etc. etc.

However, I'll give credit to the actress who played the T-X, she did a far better job than many of the actors who played her liquid metal or polymer descendants. She was the closest one to Robert Patrick in terms of coming across as unnatural or wrong. Her mannerisms sold the character and made it work. A point which she doesn't get enough credit for. Unfortunately, I think this is largely because Robert Patrick's T-1000 is so iconic. He's often far more terrifying than even the T-800 was. His mannerisms are unsettling and weird. She replicated allot of this but despite all the girl power themes in the film, it often seems like she was only there to provide some sex appeal to the film as though they weren't fully committed to their girl power themes.

Terminator 4, while not a great film due to its lack luster story and odd casting choice for John Connor, at least tried to change the Terminator formula up and do something we hadn't seen before. Had this film not had the weird T-700 plot and kept a tighter story, I think it would have been a decent film. At least they tried to give us the future version of John Connor we had always wanted to see. Then came Genisys, which completed messed up the lore and threw out the timeline of the two best films in the series to serve its own narrative. I could have let that pass if if it were handled better. Unfortunately, they turned John into the bad guy and of course, Sarah Connor doesn't need no man. It's almost an analog to a woman getting a battery operated boyfriend instead of a man. The Terminator goes back and does Kyle Reese's job making him a useless tool in the movie, almost switching their roles. At least Kyle can fight in the movie and isn't as useless as John Connor was in Terminator 3. There are some truly great moments in the film but it was mismarketed and somewhat miscast. I like the actors in the movie well enough, but they are poor stand-ins for Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn.

What's ridiculous about this is that Terminator series didn't need to go the girlpower direction. It had already done so decades earlier and did it in a way that was better more convincing and far more believable. Sarah Connor's character arc had show her evolve from an average girl working as a waitress into one of history's most important figures. She became battle hardened and had purpose. Her purpose was to be a protector and mother, while also being the one who would forge John into the warrior and leader he would need to be decades later. The character was badass in every sense of the word. Yet, she was always still female. Most girl power flicks essentially take characters that were written as males and then place female actors in the roles. It isn't believable and doesn't ever work. They show no vulnerability or femininity of any kind. Women don't stop being women simply because they are in a bad situation.

The female characters in these girl power movies never make mistakes and succeed at everything. They spout dialog that's clearly anti-male. The scripts always seem to reduce men to bumbling idiots. They seem to only be there to screw everything up so that a woman can come along and do it better even when it doesn't make sense. Worse yet, many of them are Mary Sues who never have to work at anything. They never fail and never show any growth. They don't really tend to have character arcs as a result. They essentially stay the same throughout the entire movie. Strong female characters that were done right as far back as the late 1970's or early 80's were never like that. They had genuine stories and were believable. They were flawed and multi-faceted. They worked even in situations dominated by men because they stood with them as equals rather than against them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    Armenius, YeuEmMaiMai, Dayaks and 3 others like this.
  18. Krenum

A great read, I agree with a lot of your points, especially the last paragraph.

Also, Kristana Loken is smoking hot & played a great Terminator.

One line in T3 movie always made me cringe, the line where Kate playing Katherine Brewster says "Just die you bitch!". when the TX is trapped on the super collider, It should have been cut, its way overly acted and comes off as too cheesy.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    Armenius and YeuEmMaiMai like this.
  19. Tweak155

Tweak155 Gawd

Just saw this movie. Really wasn't that bad overall as the the action was there and spot on. But I was going in expecting the worst, so that probably helped.

I definitely agree with all the cheesy lines though. Wow some of that was bad.

Also, Arnold should have put the glasses on.

Armenius likes this.
  20. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Isn't that what they tried to do with Terminator Salvation?

That said, the biggest issue has been the lack of story telling. It's more like "We want to make a Terminator movie, so lets write a script" versus "I have this story about Terminators now lets go make a movie that tells THIS story"

21. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

Or it was a totally new idea and IP but some exec decided to rebrand it to fit into Terminator franchise "fixing" it in the process.

22. Krenum

Yep, Terminator Salvation was more in the time period of John Connors rise to power and finding and protecting Kyle, (which he knew was his father through Sarah's Terminator 1 recording) It also makes sense because the humans were still fighting with projectile weapons rather than the phased plasma rifles of the future war cut scenes from T1 & 2, I assume they hadn't developed or reverse engineered them yet.

They should have built upon its ending, I think there could have been a great couple of sequels after that movie if they really tried, but Hollywood isn't known for really trying.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    Armenius likes this.
  23. Krenum

Thanks Tim Miller, Jerk off!

Armenius, M76 and Colonel Sanders like this.
  24. OrangeKhrush

OrangeKhrush [H]ard|Gawd

I watched and while it is rumour it seemed to have 3-4 sources that claim that star wars rise of skywalker is going to be terrible and it will probably be what gets Kathleen Kennedy fired. Star Wars is about as lost as Anakin in Revenge of the Sith. I know the prequals were not everyones cup of tea but in terms of the lore and action it was pretty legendary compared to what episode 7 and 8 have given also Anakin, Obi Wan their arches are well established even the paragon characters are well scripted.

The Batman is also going full woke, we have glitter boy and a bunch of race swapped characters incoming, so it looks like Batman, Terminator, Star Wars, Charlies Angels (not that anyone actually cares), Doom (again nobody actually cares) that will be riding that woke bicycle down disappointment avenue.

Armenius likes this.
  25. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Twilight is not the extent of Pattison's acting. The best actor in the world couldn't have made that garbage work much better than what he did. As far as the race swapping goes. Eh. Whatevs. Zoe Kravitz is a great actress so as long as the writing and directing is good enough she'll be able to kill it as Catwoman.

Solhokuten and IdiotInCharge like this.
  26. aokman

aokman Gawd

stalking kids in clubs, my how times have changed :LOL:

Armenius and Krenum like this.
  27. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Second week numbers are in. It gets worse

Of course the woke brigade blames the failure on the audience having lost interest in the terminator franchise.

Armenius likes this.
  28. YeuEmMaiMai

lol okay sure. whatever they say. The terminator is iconic and withstood 3 ok sequels... and then they killed off John Connor in the last one....effectively killing their profits and the Terminator franchise in the process. The sad part is James Cameron was in on it....

Armenius likes this.
  29. Krenum

I seem to recall this was the argument for Terminator Genesys bombing too. Yet here we are....

30. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

The source material was equally shitty. There isn't anything that could have made that garbage work. How it did so well financially is beyond me.

In fairness, I think people have. When you release a movie in a series that's been bad more than 60% of the time people aren't exactly going to come out in droves to see it.

Solhokuten likes this.
  31. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I think that's it. Team Phase didn't go see it, in spite of loving 1 and 2. We've just become jaded to being shovel-fed garbage for too long and were on the fence. When early indications came in that it had issues, we stayed home.

Movie makers need to remember their competition is no longer just whatever drivel is in the theaters at the time. It's also whatever stuff is available online we haven't seen yet. We have very few hours a month free together, and are going to aggressively pick and choose. I don't think we're very unique in this regard anymore.

32. Pabuchok

Pabuchok Gawd

You guys made my decision of whether or not to see this movie a no-brainer. Thanks y'all!

Youn likes this.
  33. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

I trust no opinion. I will watch it eventually and judge for myself.

34. Daishi123

Daishi123 Limp Gawd

Cameron was a producer in name only, search it out...evidently he and the director did not see eye to eye. There's a reason this douche was kicked to the curb by Reynolds for DP2, its because wanted to do his own bullshit thing and ruin it.

Armenius and Krenum like this.
  35. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

DP2 was ruined anyway. It's a re-hash of the first when the novelty factor wore off. Telling the same jokes twice in the same company while adding nothing of worth.

36. Krenum

Totally unrelated but awesome....