Terminating Cat5 with RJ-11

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
The reason I want to do this is to connect a DSL modem. I'm moving all my networking equipment to my utility room where all the cables come in to the house. All of the phone jacks are wired using Cat5. So, I want to take one of those Cat5 cables and terminate it with an RJ-11 so the modem can dial out.

The question is, what order do I need to go with?

I think you're not getting what I'm saying. I'm not trying to terminate two ends of Cat5 with RJ-11 and use it for phone cables. I have a Cat5 coming in to my utility room that carries the phone signal from the D-Mark. I want to take that signal and terminate it with an RJ-11 to go directly into the modem to dial out.

Doesn't really matter as long as it's the same sequence on both sides. I use blue on the middle 2 (pin 2 & 3 basically), and green on 1 &4, and cut orange and brown. You probably only need 2, but I crimp all 4 to give it extra teeth to hold onto.

The two middle pins are Line 1 (Red/Green), the pins to either side are Line 2 (Black/Yellow). As to which wires you use on the existing cable, it really doesn't matter. I think Blue/Blue White, Green/Green White is the convention for USOC but it really doesn't matter as long as you use the same pair on both ends.

Gotchya. Do what dave said. I use blue/blue-white for line 1 and green/green-white for line 2. You'll just need to match both ends as said.

Why not just buy a telephone biscuit jack or a 6p6c or 6p4c keystone and do it right? Would look cleaner too. Use the telephone line cord that the modem came with, connect to biscuit jack or keystone wallplate and you're done.

http://deepsurplus.com/Network-Stru...-Single-Surface-Mount-Jack-Biscuit-Jack-White
biscuit jack
*or*
6p6c keystone jack
http://deepsurplus.com/Network-Structured-Wiring/RJ11-RJ12-Keystone-Jack-Blue-110
add a faceplace then a mudring or electrical outlet box and you're done.

Last edited:
here is what you really need to know if you got blue pairs use them because the blue pair will act like your red and green then just take the blue pair and wire it to 6p4c surface jack. I have done this alots of times.

now if you want to use all pairs of cat 5

line one would be blue/white blue
line 2 would be green/white green
line 3 would be orange/white orange
line 4 would be brown/white brown

just remember all these would be connected to red/green on your dmark.

or what you could also do is use rj45 jack as your telephone jack then use rj45 connector go to your 6p4c setup.

:D

Ah, punch down... What a novel idea. While I wish the person that wired this house care enough to do that like I would have, they didn't. I figured it was just straight through like with Cat5 as well.

Wires.jpg

Thanks for all the help, but I think it will just be easiest to cap the orange and blue pairs in with the wire nuts. As much as I hate it.

Ah, punch down... What a novel idea. While I wish the person that wired this house care enough to do that like I would have, they didn't.Thanks for all the help, but I think it will just be easiest to cap the orange and blue pairs in with the wire nuts. As much as I hate it.

So why don't you do it right, 'like you would have'?

As far as the best practices I know, The modem should be first in the chain.

In my house the telco installed a "Central filter" straight off their copper coming from the street, with a dedicated pair going to the modem, and another feeding the phones in the house.

Good god.

Get a 66 block and terminate each wire into the block. Then terminate the other side with one X runs of wire per number of lines.

IE:

66BlockClose.jpg

In this case, it is wired for four lines per CAT5e wire.

Left of block:
White Blue/Blue - Line 1
White Orange/Orange - Line 2
White Green/Green - Line 3
White Brown/Brown - Line 4

Right of block:
First Green/Red - Line 1
First Black/Yellow - Line 2
Second Green/Red - Line 3
Second Black/Yellow - Line 4

Since there are only bridge clips on First Green/Red, the block only passes line 1.

But there is no reason you couldn't do it so that you terminate on the right side 1 Green on rows 1,3,5 etc and 1 Red on rows 2,4,6 to distribute one line across all pairs on the left side of the block.

See http://www.swhowto.com for more info.

Ah, punch down... What a novel idea. While I wish the person that wired this house care enough to do that like I would have, they didn't. I figured it was just straight through like with Cat5 as well.

Wires.jpg

Thanks for all the help, but I think it will just be easiest to cap the orange and blue pairs in with the wire nuts. As much as I hate it.

The way that photo appears, it would be easy to put in a LV cabinet and terminate everything in a patch panel.

Yeah, a 66 block is the way I would have done it. Why don't I now? Well, because, it's not my house. I'm simply a renter here.

Good god.

Get a 66 block and terminate each wire into the block. Then terminate the other side with one X runs of wire per number of lines.

IE:

66BlockClose.jpg

In this case, it is wired for four lines per CAT5e wire.

Left of block:
White Blue/Blue - Line 1
White Orange/Orange - Line 2
White Green/Green - Line 3
White Brown/Brown - Line 4

Right of block:
First Green/Red - Line 1
First Black/Yellow - Line 2
Second Green/Red - Line 3
Second Black/Yellow - Line 4

Since there are only bridge clips on First Green/Red, the block only passes line 1.

But there is no reason you couldn't do it so that you terminate on the right side 1 Green on rows 1,3,5 etc and 1 Red on rows 2,4,6 to distribute one line across all pairs on the left side of the block.

See http://www.swhowto.com for more info.

That is an awesome link! Thanks a ton!

Back