terminal services question

Soldier101

Gawd
I have three machines within my network running terminal services...

How do I configure the router to let people log into any of the three machines from outside of my network (IE via the internet) so if im at timmy's house I can still log into any of my three machines

btw im running a netopia cayman 3347w router/dsl model unit

Only way I can think of using RDP is to setup one computer to be forwarded to from the router and then open another terminal session inside that session.

It can be confusing but it will work.

edit: You could connect via a VPN thats what I do at work.

You can change the port that remote desktop uses. You'll need to run regedit and get into the registry, then go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

Then you'll need to scroll down until you find the data type that says "PortNumber", its value will be 3389. You need to change the value to whatever port you want it to use, then restart your computer. Make sure you dont pick a commonly used port (definitely stay above 1024).

See this thread for issues about security.

Then you should be able to just do simple port forwarding in your router. You might want to google your router's model number and see if you can find a user guide for it that'll tell you how to do it.

You might also be able to just remote connect to a different port for each machine, and have your router forward that port to the standard RDP port on the correct machine. To explain it another way, say your IP address is 200.200.200.200:
Connecting to 200.200.200.200 from your office using port 3389, your router is configured to send this to Desktop1 using port 3389.
Connect to 200.200.200.200 using port 3390, your router is configured to send this to Desktop2 using port 3389.
Connect to 200.200.200.200 using port 3391, your router is configured to send this to Desktop3 using port 3389.

In that case, you wouldn't have to change anything on your home computers. But not all routers can do that, so you need to do a little research on your own and figure that out.

Another way is to forward diffrent extrenal ports to 3389 of each pc. what i do at home for my servers is tell my router to forward my wan IP port 4000 to port 3389 of 192.168.0.25 and 40001 to 3389 on 192.168.0.26, etc

Back