Teracopy....glitchy but a god send....

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
So teracopy is a bit glitchy and unstable when your transferring 100-1000s of GB but i see CRC mismatch a freaking shit ton.

The program has some stability issues and can glitch out and your trying to figure out what the hell it just did with files that didn't copy right but its really nice though when your transferring 500,000 files and you don't want to loose anything. I have saved 100s if not 1000s of files now from the couple million of files i have moved around over the last month with trying to encrypt and consolidate files, backups, and recoveries.

this thing can even freeze my OS on my stock 1650v3 with ECC RAM so it has some issues in regards to how its programmed. It wasn't only related to my OCed and tweaked desktop so i know my desktop wasn't unstable...its this program.

No wonder in the past i was missing files and had corruptions....:/ If i only knew of this program 5-10 years ago :'(

still a little confused on what it does on a CRC mismatch. I look back and the CRC match so i guess it re-transferred automatically and fixed it?

EDIT:Yea i am seeing a lot of failed transfers. Granted, this is a Seagate to Toshiba transfer so I think this 3TB Seagate is one of those shit drives from the floods but still. All the more reason to use Teracopy gents.

EDIT: I am seeing anywhere form 50-500+ problem files from 20,000-30,000 files transferred. ack

508 problem files out of 25244 files.
359 problem files out of 9571 files

Damn

Last edited:
I used it for a couple of years but in the end found it more trouble than it was worth. I think it needs a ground up re-write. Seems too much like abandonware to me.

I used it for a couple of years but in the end found it more trouble than it was worth. I think it needs a ground up re-write. Seems too much like abandonware to me.
it is glitchy but i'll take it if i don't loose files to corruption. I wish windows had this built in...:/

yea this keeps crashing on me with so many files but i am definitely having >1% CRC mismatch. Again it maybe this HDD but still....all the more reason to use this stuff.

EDIT: yea i am at 1-5% CRC mismatch. This is oddly high so it must be this HDD because i have transferred 100s of thousands of files already and i was only seeing 1:1,000-10,000 from my experience in the past. I still think .1 or .01% is way too damn high for corrupted transfers.

I would first try some different software like freefilesync. Make sure after you copy to do a file contents comparison to verify the integrity of the copy. If that reveals problems you need to look at your hardware.

well its definitely the Seagate is trash :D. I did 3K between the SSD and toshiba and no fails. I think I see ~2% of that bad Seagate and 1 in 10,000 fail on everything else. If the program was a bit more stable i would actually do some statistics on this. But its too glitchy when dealing with 1TB or 100K+ files.

It was real handy when Vista pre-SP1 had some serious networking issues transferring large files. I haven't had to use it since.

I use it all the time, I have no issues with it. Most of the time I am just transferring 20-30GB of files but sometimes it will be 1-2TB of data.

If you want a really good file manager/copy tool, check out Directory Opus, it is a paid app though.

That program was amazing when using it in XP. Haven't used it much since. Definitely a lot of glitches but cool software overall.

What are you guys doing that you're getting CRC mismatches? I've used some utilities like FastCopy and SyncBackPro which do a verify and never once had a CRC/Verification failure. I've copied many TB of data over the network and inside local machines. I'd be doing a lot of testing to figure out the cause if I had a >1% failure rate. It's certainly not inherent to file copying in Windows.

Last edited:
I would first try some different software like freefilesync. Make sure after you copy to do a file contents comparison to verify the integrity of the copy. If that reveals problems you need to look at your hardware.
THIS! It'll take a while, but hashing is the only way to be sure.

as i said above its the seagate that has an inherent problem. On all my SSDs and toshiba i get very very few CRC mismatch but they do still exist....just not like the seagate.

okay so whats all these other programs.

robocopy
fastcopy
sycnback pro
directy opus

did i miss any? Anyone an expert on this and can give me a good summary of the pros and cons? If one is better than teracopy than i am all ears

I've used Teracopy for years, mostly to dig up files from old burned CDs since Windows Explorer would just freeze and hang the entire system if it had issues copying a file. I don't use it to copy more than 4 GB / 500 files at a time, though - all that file information sucks up RAM like crazy, it leaks quite a bit. It also tends to ignore or mess up file dates, which is a big issue for me. So nowadays I just use Robocopy with a couple of switches and let it do its thing... but I've never used the CRC verify feature on that.

Directory Opus... Now there's a program I've not heard mentioned since my old Amiga days back in the80's & 90's. :D I didn't know that it carried over into Windows until tonight, when I looked it up. Looks like it has tons more features these days.

Wished I could be more help in answering your questions, but I'm mostly just reminiscing. I've used Teracopy for a few years with great success, but have noticed a few issues with it. Never enough to make me want to pin it down a figure out the root of the problems though. I just mainly use it for lightweight stuff around the house.

Luck...

Directory Opus... Now there's a program I've not heard mentioned since my old Amiga days back in the80's & 90's. :D I didn't know that it carried over into Windows until tonight, when I looked it up. Looks like it has tons more features these days.

Wished I could be more help in answering your questions, but I'm mostly just reminiscing. I've used Teracopy for a few years with great success, but have noticed a few issues with it. Never enough to make me want to pin it down a figure out the root of the problems though. I just mainly use it for lightweight stuff around the house.

Luck...
Feel like going down memory lane? I've got an A3000T 68040 that I'd like to sell. ;)

I like the idea of Teracopy but in my actual use of it, most notably when transferring large quantities of files - not necessarily very large files but a large number of unique ones - it invariably crashes at some point in the process and it just pisses me right the hell off. I finally gave up in my attempts and let Windows handle things natively - NTFS has error correction and checksums natively and will bitch if things don't copy over correctly, at least in my experience. And since it uses the Windows APIs for file copy operation, it's not really any faster than just a typical copy operation - it just offers the checksum thing and that kills the idea of it being faster anyway since it's a secondary verify pass after the copy operation is done.

If the data must be actually verified before and after the copy operation I create SHA1 checkums of files or entire folders of content using HashCheck which is a very cool shell property extension for the Properties page from a context click (right button) for files/folders. Generates a checksum file (with various hash methods of your choice) containing all the hashes for whatever you're checking on, then I do the copy operation, copy the checksum file over and test. It's a little more involved I suppose but I've copied terabytes of files (millions of 'em in some instances) and never had issues with just plain old vanilla Windows copy operations.

I haven't seen an NTFS checksum error in well over a decade, it's pretty much a non-issue these days, at least for me.

Back