Interested?

• Total voters

Baker

2[H]4U
logo_small.png
The Official Site:
http://www.tera-online.com/

Game Overview said:
TERA is a fast-paced action MMORPG set in a breathtaking world conjured by two dreaming primal gods. Your explorations will take you over rugged mountains, across searing deserts, and through hazardous jungles. Take your place as a soldier for the Valkyon Federation and fight alongside other races to forge a new future while healing the mistakes of the past.

TERA combines lush graphics with an immersive, engaging combat system in a world rich in dramatic story and lore. There's no time for factions in TERA—all six races and eight classes must work together to wrench destiny from the gods themselves! Arm yourself, gather your allies, and take control of your fate. Fighting prowess, guild rankings, and social dynamics come together as you find yourself vying for political control of the world itself in TERA's unique endgame.

That's your future, and it starts with a mysterious island risen up from the sea, covered with strange ruins and creatures. An expedition is sent to unlock its secrets, only to be slaughtered by the island's guardians. The Federation is hastily assembling another force. Are you ready to take the field, shoulder to shoulder, and seize your destiny?

Wiki said:
Lineage III is a sequel to Lineage II by NCsoft. The Lineage III project began January 1, 2008 and was to be announced to the public in 2011.

On April 27, 2007, Seoul Metropolitan Police reported that seven former employees of NCsoft are suspected of selling the Lineage III source code to a major Japanese game company. According to NCsoft, the potential damage caused may exceed $1 billion USD.

Lineage III was originally anticipated to use the Unreal Engine 3, but a NCsoft representative has since stated that NCsoft will instead develop an entirely new proprietary engine.

Lineage III was canceled by NCsoft after the trail despite the sentences given out to the former employees. The game is now known as Tera: The Exiled Realm of Arborea, developed by Blue Hole Studio and Produced by En Mass Entertainment. It uses the Unreal 3 engine, and is scheduled for release in Q1 2011.

I started off with Diablo 1, then Diablo 2, then I stumbled upon Lineage 2 back in the day, and I fell in love. To me, it felt like a 3DMMO Diablo'isk game, biggest thing I liked was being able to PK anyone outside of town. Created many intense situations and the private server I played on at the time had a huge Russian vs. American thing going on.

So I typed Lineage into Google to see if auto fill would come up with anything new (been playing HoN, but been having a itch to get back into something like Lineage (NOT WOW)) I saw a link for Lineage 3, did a quick Wiki search on it (to see if it was released or soon to be released, then saw the news I posted above). Because of Wiki I'm now stumbling upon this TERA game.

First impressions; The screen shots look good, there are many more on their site, races look interesting and the game idea as well.

What you all think? Anyone else interested? This could be old news, but it's new to me and Q1 2011 isn't to far off!

Last edited:
Looks interesting, I'll wait to see other peoples reactions first, I'd like to get into another MMO but needs to be compelling.

graphics and character animations look good. will have to wait and see some more of the game before making a final decision on this one.

There's several action MMOs that are being worked on or are in beta.

Vindictus
Guild Wars 2
Blade and Soul

I've been keeping an eye on GW2, but sometimes I prefer the huge open worlds, Lineage 2 style.

Blade and Soul is much farther off than TERA, but does look good.

Vindictus, looks average, but good for a free to play. I'm just not sure how I feel about free to play games, where people who want to spend money on real items get the upper hand, vs. everyone being on the same playing field and everyone having to work for items.

I've been keeping an eye on GW2, but sometimes I prefer the huge open worlds, Lineage 2 style.

Vindictus, looks average, but good for a free to play. I'm just not sure how I feel about free to play games, where people who want to spend money on real items get the upper hand, vs. everyone being on the same playing field and everyone having to work for items.

But if you played on a "private" server, from what I remember these typically gave huge enchant bonuses to people who "donate." Also monthly p2p games these days aren't exactly free from people spending real money to get the upper hand.

I've been following this game for awhile now, but I remember them actually losing a civil suit to NC soft due to the Lineage 3 code stealing situation. I'm not sure if this affected development at all though.

Basically though -

Blade and Soul
C9
Guild Wars 2
Tera
Vindictus

No more click/auto target grinding, yay.

i remember watching their first video a LONG time ago and thinking damn that looks good, here is hoping the final game doesn't disappoint.

But if you played on a "private" server, from what I remember these typically gave huge enchant bonuses to people who "donate." Also monthly p2p games these days aren't exactly free from people spending real money to get the upper hand.

I've been following this game for awhile now, but I remember them actually losing a civil suit to NC soft due to the Lineage 3 code stealing situation. I'm not sure if this affected development at all though.

Basically though -

Blade and Soul
C9
Guild Wars 2
Tera
Vindictus

No more click/auto target grinding, yay.

Your right, at first I didn't play on a private server, but I couldn't stand the grind on a normal servers, so later I moved to a private server for faster xp rates.

But donators did get great items, which once I hit higher levels and was playing with donators, is probably one of the reasons I fell off the wagon. (I'm cheap)

As for how TERA came about, read the little Wiki clip I put in the OP.

I'm actually going to work on downloading Vindictus and play some of this to hold me over :)

My first thought is. Lineage games equal grind from hell I expect this will be the same and want nothing to do with that.

Yea, that's why I ended up going to a private server. I think it was like 10x/5x/5x (XP, gold drops, item drops)

The thing about grinding in L2, by itself is rather boring, but it's all the drama that can occur during grinding that can make it fun. Because L2 allows you to attack anyone (mobs,NPC or people) some people will get very territorial over their leveling spot. Random areas all of a sudden become a huge PVP grounds. This is one of the things I really really liked.

Yea, that's why I ended up going to a private server. I think it was like 10x/5x/5x (XP, gold drops, item drops)

The thing about grinding in L2, by itself is rather boring, but it's all the drama that can occur during grinding that can make it fun. Because L2 allows you to attack anyone (mobs,NPC or people) some people will get very territorial over their leveling spot. Random areas all of a sudden become a huge PVP grounds. This is one of the things I really really liked.

QFT..

That is what makes L2.....

But too bad, the Grind fest really turn me off right after I tried several other games like GW..

Hot playable chicks? Hell yeah. :p

that's what made guild wars playable.....the decent female character models and the no-hassles game play. You could jump in for 30 minutes and actually achieve something. The no-wait traveling rocked the fricken house too.

Damn, lots of haters. I guess I'll be stuck playing with the billions of Koreans :p

GAme has been looking very fun, I just hope it doesn't end up being a huge grindfest though.

BTW are those flyable mounts player controlable or simply rail-based travel from one city to another a la early WoW travel and EQ2?

That sucks, yeah at teh end it certainly looks that way. Why can't they them player controlled, would be a lot more fun.

What I'm not sure I like is that there are 6 playable races, all alied with each other. The one "enemy" race doesn't appear to be playable. Here's what the TERA website says about PvP:

There will be PvE servers that provide consensual PvP content, such as Battlegrounds and duels. There will also be PvP servers with world PvP. These PvP servers will also include Battlegrounds that provide specific PvP rewards

From TERA forums on grinding:

Q: Leveling up on TERA will be easier by quests or grinding?
A: Quests are a main part of the game, and we’re working to reduce or eliminate altogether the need to "grind" in the Westernized version of TERA. Developer mantra has and always will be the fastest way to progress should be the most fun way to progress

GW2 is a huge and open world, from everything that I've seen, read and played, I don't see how you could come to a different conclusion.

Vindictus is instanced based so people who pay for stuff don't effect your game at all, especially when you play with friends. The game is free and would tide you over until something you would rather play comes out. The game isn't bad, looks good, combat is very fluid, face paced and fun. From what is listed in the cash shop, there's nothing that would give you a significant boost over another player.

What I'm not sure I like is that there are 6 playable races, all alied with each other. The one "enemy" race doesn't appear to be playable. Here's what the TERA website says about PvP:

There will be PvE servers that provide consensual PvP content, such as Battlegrounds and duels. There will also be PvP servers with world PvP. These PvP servers will also include Battlegrounds that provide specific PvP rewards

From TERA forums on grinding:

Q: Leveling up on TERA will be easier by quests or grinding?
A: Quests are a main part of the game, and we’re working to reduce or eliminate altogether the need to "grind" in the Westernized version of TERA. Developer mantra has and always will be the fastest way to progress should be the most fun way to progress

Yea, the PvP sounds the same as Lineage 2. They had little dueling pits, where soon as you walked across this line, you were game for anyone to hit you, if you died you didn't lose XP.

Outside of the dueling pit PvP worked a bit differently. Everyone who starts off the game starts off with 0 Karma. The more Karma you gain, the redder your name above your character becomes, and the higher chance you have to drop items from your inventory (or equipped). You gain Karma by killing someone else who hasn't attack you back.

Basically when you attack someone, your name turns from white to purple, letting others around you know you've just attacked someone. You are now free game for anyone who might want to PvP, not just the person you attacked. If the person you attacked attacks back, their name turns purple and you both now can PvP it out, with out the fear of someone getting Karma for killing the other.

Only way to lose Karma is by either dying or farming creep.

This is what causes a lot of the drama that I'm all about. Coming up to an enemy alliance, seeing a couple people farming, killing them with out letting them attack back, going RED (high chance to drop items, big rush from not wanting to die and dropping shit) and having your clan back you up while you all farm together and you lose your karma.

Or, you wander just a little bit off from your clan, someone PK's you (meaning you don't attack back), they turn red, allie chat "hey this guy just raped me please help", bam resurrected, the chase is on, we find kill him, get some of his loot. :)

As for your little Q&A, it's good to see they want to reduce the grind for the Western version. :D

Except they've already announced the Western version won't have as much grind. :eek:

Be realistic. They are NOT going to rebalance the entire game just for different parts of the world. Doing so, especially the the multiple versions of the game it would require (and don't give any of the "well they change the language/graphics blather) a massive increase in staffing and time to handle.

Anyone who believes they will actually be balancing multiple versions of the same game for different areas at the same time needs to put down the crack pipe.

It's a pretty game, but the combat does not look like anything special. And if it's supposed to be like Lineage, which some of the video clips look like but others do not ( I suspect the ones not looking like it are intentionally edited to be so).......I'll pass. Couldn't stand the lineage series of MMOs, never could make myself enjoy playing them. Combat was dull and progression felt too slow for my tastes. I don't particularly like their spell casting system, it doesn't look like much is happening.

Id be 10000x more intrested if it wasn't a MMO.... I'm not sure what "true action means" but if it was like monster hunter frontiers, but more than 4 people, that would work well. Still MMO usually means grindy slow motion progress and little story...

Be realistic. They are NOT going to rebalance the entire game just for different parts of the world. Doing so, especially the the multiple versions of the game it would require (and don't give any of the "well they change the language/graphics blather) a massive increase in staffing and time to handle.

Anyone who believes they will actually be balancing multiple versions of the same game for different areas at the same time needs to put down the crack pipe.

Seriously?

IF a private server can cut back the grind by just adding an XP multiplier of 10X... what exactly needs re-balancing? You just level faster, items remain the same, skills remain the same, it's not very complicated. It's just adjusting xp rates gained from mobs or missions. Lower the xp rates, the more grind involved. No crack pipes required.

Id be 10000x more intrested if it wasn't a MMO.... I'm not sure what "true action means" but if it was like monster hunter frontiers, but more than 4 people, that would work well. Still MMO usually means grindy slow motion progress and little story...

This is somewhat my feeling these days. The only reason I play MMOs really is for the coop and fantasy elements. I actually hate now how the persistent character systems develop a gap between people who play 10 hours a day vs. those who play 1 hour a day. PVP especially in MMOs has lost its luster to me, as I'd rather play a game where pvp is revolved around skill, not how it is mathematically impossible for someone who plays 1 hour a day to kill someone who plays 10 hours a day due to the character gap.

Seriously?

IF a private server can cut back the grind by just adding an XP multiplier of 10X... what exactly needs re-balancing? You just level faster, items remain the same, skills remain the same, it's not very complicated. It's just adjusting xp rates gained from mobs or missions. Lower the xp rates, the more grind involved. No crack pipes required.

I think he is more referring to redesigning the PVE elements to center around "questing" and "raiding," versus the more Asian style of "farming." As well as having maybe a more relatively easily reachable "plateaued" ceiling type for character advancement.

Even if you simply attach multipliers, the person who "grinds" 10 hours a day will still be 2x ahead of someone who does it for 5 for instance.

This is somewhat my feeling these days. The only reason I play MMOs really is for the coop and fantasy elements. I actually hate now how the persistent character systems develop a gap between people who play 10 hours a day vs. those who play 1 hour a day. PVP especially in MMOs has lost its luster to me, as I'd rather play a game where pvp is revolved around skill, not how it is mathematically impossible for someone who plays 1 hour a day to kill someone who plays 10 hours a day due to the character gap.

I think he is more referring to redesigning the PVE elements to center around "questing" and "raiding," versus the more Asian style of "farming." As well as having maybe a more relatively easily reachable "plateaued" ceiling type for character advancement.

Even if you simply attach multipliers, the person who "grinds" 10 hours a day will still be 2x ahead of someone who does it for 5 for instance.

Anyone who spends more time than someone else in any RPG is going to level faster. The guy playing Killzone 2 10 hours a day leveling up and unlocking badges to unlock more skills and weapons is going to probably have the upper hand to the guy only playing 1 hour. There are tons of games out there that this can apply to.

I do understand the gap in some MMO's can be greater than the gap in other games. That gap is going to be greater for games that allow people to get to higher levels. Games like the original GuildWars maxed out at level 20, so the gap doesn't feel quite as bad as a game that maxes out at level 70.

In terms of PvP, stick to your level. That's why lineage 2 introduced Karma. Some guy who is lvl 50 comes out and just kills a lvl 10, gains karma, turns their handle Red, and then someone can "!shout" (meaning in chat it talks in a much larger radius than normal chat) then all of a sudden other level 50's are coming out to hunt that guy down because of a chance they'll get loot off him.

So most people don't just go around killing people lower level than them, just for fear of losing their loot.

Back