Ten Years Ago On Tax Day

One of my favorite cpu's of all time. I loved the unlocked multiplyer, but I cannot remember how much of an overclock I was able to get. Guess i'm losing my mind at my old age :D

I was cheap back in the day, still am, had a 600Mz Duron OC'ed to 900Mz, win

I still have an Asus A7V board rocking a Athlon 1.1GHz with 256MB of PC133 SDRAM.

Good old days...

Those were some rocking processers with the 200 mhz, you could up them to 266 for a pretty easy overclock.

That one brings back the memories of being able to mod all I think it was the 600 mhz slot-a into 933 slot -a. You just had to know which ones had the T-birds in them.

Made a bunch of e-bay money doing that.

Drop $289 on a new CPU then crush the core while installing the HSF. Damn I hated that generation of AMD chips.

Man that thing is blazing! The sad part is that thing is fast enough to run 1/3 to 1/2 of the games I like to play these days....

Tax day? *sits back and does nothing* :)

But yeah oh my god what a lovely CPU that was :) What happened AMD? Where did you go wrong?

Was the first PC I built, and I chipped the CPU putting on the heatsink. I still remember those 4 red LEDs light up - biggest oh shit moment. That was pretty much my entire piggy bank at the time.

10 years... strange how time is strange.

What a CPU this was! That rig lasted me a good while. I convinced my CS playing friends to get this chip, after reading the [H] insights and testing it for myself.

And what is funny, is I have at least 10 of these along with XP chips sitting in a parts shelf lol. :D

To bad i can't go back in time and sell these things. :p

Man I remember my good old Barton/SLK-800/TT Smartfan combo. The only CPU I've ever owned that didn't have an IHS...I remember being REALLY careful clipping on the heatsink.

I have one that's still alive. It doesn't have a sharp corner left on it from all the HSF crunching.
It even survived an over night cooking from an externaly powered pelt that was left on with the cooling fan turned off. Talk about a bad and $ smell. Still works though!

I just retired a system running that last month. The CPU still ran like a champ but the HDD died and I just decided to throw in the towel with it. Awesome processor.

Damn if I can get one of these, one of those a 128mb stick of ram and a voodoo3 I bet I can get 10-15 more fps out of counter-strike!

Man, I loved my old AMD TBird,

Riddle me this:

"What's the word? Thunderbird!"
"Whats the action? Satisfaction!"
"It's a matter of style and taste." "You got da style; Thunderbirds got da taste!"
All together "Whats the word?"
"THUNDERBIRD!!"
:D

Wow, I still have one in a KT7A mobo if memory serves
10 years already?
-Amazing how time flies!

I have just one word to say :)
AXIA

That picture reminds me of my laptop...a 9 1/2 year old Centrino laptop with a 1.5 GHz processor in it. Runs Windows 7 just fine, even with 512 megs of RAM.

...now I feel old.
...mostly because I still have a few old motherboards/processors from the era uincluding a KT7A

Wow. 10 years ago today, I was sporting a pencil unlocked Duron 800 @ 1050 and a KT7. Somehow, it doesn't seem that long ago.

I remember my old TBird, one night while I was sleeping the fan on my HSF combo died out, woke up the next morning the thing was smoking but still running, and still ran fine after that.

The CPU line that kept makers of rear window defroster repair kits in business.

Obscure?

These things were delicate flowers.

If the heatsink managed to come off or wasn't properly mounted the CPU would fry in seconds. It had no thermal protection. Newer CPUs will throttle down the speed or shut off the processor if that happens.

And as many stated the core was easily broken on the corners....

These things were delicate flowers.

If the heatsink managed to come off or wasn't properly mounted the CPU would fry in seconds. It had no thermal protection. Newer CPUs will throttle down the speed or shut off the processor if that happens.

And as many stated the core was easily broken on the corners....

Not true, i even cliped off the side of the core when my heatsink slipped,

Dang thing still ran after that

I did end up puting a 80mm Vantec Tornado on the heatsink though, man that was loud lol

Man, I remember lusting after the T-Bird chips so hard. It would be another 8 months before I could afford to buy parts for myself. Bought a 1.47ghz Athlon XP. Man, I was on top of the world with that and my Radeon 7000.

Now it's ten years later and.. Wait, aren't we waiting for the Radeon 7000s again?

1.0Ghz AXIA stepping was king at the time.

I remember being the first to have a 1.0Ghz computer at the time.

That picture reminds me of my laptop...a 9 1/2 year old Centrino laptop with a 1.5 GHz processor in it. Runs Windows 7 just fine, even with 512 megs of RAM.

...now I feel old.
...mostly because I still have a few old motherboards/processors from the era uincluding a KT7A

Didn't the Centrino come out in 2003?

Mint!! LOL I still have one. It has run at 2.0GHz since the day I bought it. It's long since been relegated to DVR and storage duty. Still serves a purpose though.

Wow. 10 years ago today, I was sporting a pencil unlocked Duron 800 @ 1050 and a KT7. Somehow, it doesn't seem that long ago.

Pissed my buddy off with that one. Bought his old game rig (Duron 800 with a Voodoo3). My first computer with my money (not first ever, just first with my money). Pencil unlocked and went to 1.2 and starting giving his shiny new Tbird a run for it's money. Ahh the days when I had to OC to stay competitive. Now it's just mild OC'ing for me just cuz.
Posted via Mobile Device

Am I the only one that finds it strange for somebody to keep that screen shot for 10 years? What was the reason behind that? After seeing that IE6, it makes me appreciate browser tabs.

The socket A days were my favorite overclocking/computer building days.

I was in college. I had a part time job and worked the summers, and finally had some money to update my aging Pentium 150 (pre-MMX) with a Voodoo 1 board...

I also had not graduated yet, and thus actually had time to tinker with computers.

More money than I'd ever had before + more time than I have on my hadns today = led to a lot of fun.

I have so many fond memories of the Socket A Duron & Athlon days. I really miss them.

Yeah but I bought a duron 800 for $89 and overclocked it to 1.6ghz

My Duron wouldn't hit those speeds...

My Duron 600 (or was it 650, can't remember) would hit 950Mhz.

When I outgrew that, I went with a 1.2Ghz Tbird, then to a 1.4Ghz tbird, and then to an Athlon XP :)

Drop $289 on a new CPU then crush the core while installing the HSF. Damn I hated that generation of AMD chips.

I just had a vision that you had the arms ,hands and fingers of Shrek, trying to put the heat sink on.:D

yep I've got a couple of these bad boys sitting in my pile-o-parts in the basement.

I just had a vision that you had the arms ,hands and fingers of Shrek, trying to put the heat sink on.:D

They were pretty fragile.

I never crushed one with a HSF, but at one point I bought an Asetek Vapochill case, and the cooler portion was REALLY difficult to position right. I chipped two CPUs with that thing, then gave up, sold it on ebay, and went back to air cooling.

Back