Ten of the Meanest Video Games Ever

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s always fun to find these stories because of the discussions they provoke. Every time a list of the best, worst, easiest or hardest games is published, gamers always have more to add to the discussion. Check out Geek's list and see if you agree with their assessment of what’s mean or not. :cool:

Quake 2 - The Marine meat grinder episode. I remember rounding the corner trembling....to witness the horror

:cool:

Battletoads for certain. Good players have difficulty with that one. The warp zones help some but the game is still really rough.

Going back in time a bit, but add some old Psygnosis games like Blood Money. Those games were tough.

Battletoads for certain. Good players have difficulty with that one. The warp zones help some but the game is still really rough.

I'd struggle/die past the first bike part and get to the next level with one life... only to die within a few minutes. Glad I only rented it.

Too many games I don't play.

I beat Battle toads, with my brothers. Wasn't as hard as people were saying, imo. Ninja Gaiden was so fun for me.

I remember the corrupted blood incident. Originally I thought it was a world event. So I actually enjoyed the new environment it created.

Can't believe demon souls isn't on there. I mean, you die, and the game takes away a huge chunk of your life. Not to mention the last boss steals your experience/levels. Ninja turtles for nes is another one. The underwater level is essentially the end of the road fort most people.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy was harder than Battletoads for me. I could never beat it without the Game Genie. The original Ninja Turtles was pretty freakin' hard too. The water level wasn't too bad, but there was always a piece near the end of the city level where you had to jump over a gap and not fall, but there was the ceiling right overhead. That was brutal.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy was harder than Battletoads for me. I could never beat it without the Game Genie. The original Ninja Turtles was pretty freakin' hard too. The water level wasn't too bad, but there was always a piece near the end of the city level where you had to jump over a gap and not fall, but there was the ceiling right overhead. That was brutal.

I remember Bayou Billy. Yes, it was hard, and the audio, omg I cna still remember the bad audio of the title screen "THE ADVENTURES OF BAYOU BILLYEEEE" that was hilarious.

TMNT underwater level was very hard, but it was awesome as well. It really gave that feeling of immenent danger from drowning and that everything was going to blow up.......damn now I wanna go play it again.

I remember Bayou Billy. Yes, it was hard, and the audio, omg I cna still remember the bad audio of the title screen "THE ADVENTURES OF BAYOU BILLYEEEE" that was hilarious.

TMNT underwater level was very hard, but it was awesome as well. It really gave that feeling of immenent danger from drowning and that everything was going to blow up.......damn now I wanna go play it again.

I had a friend who had Bayou Billy. We never made it past the 1st driving stage. I hated that enemies took so many hits.

TMNT fun, but tough game. We never understood how there was an entire underwater level, yet in the sewer sections you can't swim? In the arcade sewer level you walked on water while foot soldiers jumped out of it. Fun times

I never played Bayou Billy but I did play Batletoads. OMG, i was so frustrated with that game. I would die a ton of times at the bike part. I eventually beat the game once and I could never do it again.

I also played TMNT and kept losing at the underwater level. I never finished that game. Makes me want to go back and use some cheats so I could beat the game.

Sanity's Requiem I never thought was "mean"... pretty easy game... why are people so freaked out?

Tons of mean NES games for sure. Maybe Demon Souls is just too fun to be considered "mean"?

I think I know the little gap you're referring to. That one you could actually just walk over, dead serious.

Where is dead souls? That game is designed to make you die over and over and over.

Some of the things on that list really aren't mean. For example, really can't call a bug in WoW the game being mean. Nor can you really say that Animal Crossing is mean because if you try to change the time to cheat the system it knows that you did it and yells at you.

I loved how Eternal Darkness messed with you, the player. So many WTF moments. I still remember when it came up with "Thanks for playing the demo" at one point. I was so pissed i was about to pick up the phone and give Gamestop a good talking to.

I remember the corrupted blood incident. Originally I thought it was a world event. So I actually enjoyed the new environment it created.

I too remember the corrupted blood incident, as well as when someone had kited Kazzak to Stormwind. At which point it started to slaughter every lowbie and NPC in it's radius.

Thankfully I was only online for the Corrupted Blood incident, and I believe Kazzak happened on a different realm than what I play on.

However there need to be more world events "even though it was originally a bug" that show something like Kazzak laying Siege to a major capital city after certain criteria is met.

I remember Last Action Hero being extremely difficult, if not damn near impossible, at least to my 14 year old self. I don't remember even being able to get past the 2nd stage.

Sanity's Requiem I never thought was "mean"... pretty easy game... why are people so freaked out?

someone just watched three top10s on youtube and made a new list. battletoads is overrated and the rest is meh as well.

The original Wasteland. Some of the clues were so obscure or hidden it made it almost impossible without a walkthrough. Don't get me started on what was needed inside Base Cochise. I didn't beat it until a walkthrough was thrown up online in the late '90s, ten years after the game was released.

A much more obscure game along these lines was Legacy of the Ancients. I beat it a few years ago on a DOSBox version. I was completely stuck as a kid on my C64.

The counter to those super hard '80s RPGs was the Japanese RPGs of the '90s, with dialogue along the lines of, "This area is off-limits! You need to see the wizard in the blue village to get the password!"

Bah! No Ghosts 'N Goblins? What could be meaner than taking one of the hardest games ever, allowing the person to think they struggled to get to the last level and finally defeat the boss, only to laugh at you and state you have to restart at the very beginning and replay the game on a harder difficulty level?

Back