Ten Fired After Wii Radio Contest

Didn't a frat boy die the same way not too long ago? He was hazed into drinking tons of water and ended up poisoning himself with too much water. I can't believe this was repeated.

Not everyone manages to catch every minute of news every day of their lives. Before this incident occurred, if I polled 100 people and asked them if they knew about that incident, I'd bet you a good portion wouldn't have...and that another good portion would have no idea that too much water could kill you.

Stupid people die in stupid ways. Let the lemmings run off a cliff.

Can't anyone think for themselves anymore ??? Do we always have to be told "this is bad" ? Or are we all just so stupid that everything has to be laid out in simple terms and in small words so we can ignore them and act the fool anyway ? I agree with the culture of blame statement. When do we take responsibility for ourselves ?

But then again, it's Mc Donald's fault for my waistline... not mine.

I'm really very sorry that there are 2 children out there who lost their mother. That is a tragedy. Nothing in the world can make up for their loss.

Think about this, how would you like to be one of these children a few years from now and try to answer the question of how your mother died ???

all i have to say is LMFAO, This story is just as bad as the one where the romanian surgeon cut a dudes dick off on the operating table and then chopped it up into small pieces cuz he made a mistake and got irritated and took it out on the dude's dick.

adults must know that drinking large amounts of anything can make you ill, if they signed up for it then they cant complain and the ppl shouldnt of been fired.

I hate to say it but its just another case of DUMB America.

I have to agree, she apply to do it, so really its more of her problem then the 10 people who got fired, but it still it was a dumb thing to do for the radio station.

she apply to do it, so really its more of her problem

Yeah, because she died. Being dead is a lot worse than losing a job.

But it's more of her family's problem. The whole absence of a mom thing, regardless of her judgement and choice to enter the contest.

But sure, let's have our sympathy with the people who lost their jobs. What a tragedy.

But then again, it's Mc Donald's fault for my waistline... not mine.

I consider this and McDonalds two completely different things. It's somewhat common sense and very very widely known that McDonalds is bad for you. For your whole life however you've been told that you need to drink water and it is good for you.

So.. it's common sense to drink GALLONS of water ???

Last thing I heard was something like 8 to 10 glasses of water a day. NOT a few gallons in a relatively brief amount time.

Yes, McDonald's is bad for you, but so is sunlight and breathing. I just depends on quantity and quality. Which is really a common sense thing, don't you think ?

So, next time you speak about common sense, make sure you have some.

Yes because in today's society we are no longer burdened with being responsible for our own actions.

Well, I will repeat myself again... but I fear I am getting nowhere.

The radio station was well aware of the danger, the participants were not. The DJ's should have informed the contestants beforehand of the danger involved. Furthermore, when people started getting sick, they should have had the responsibility, and quite fucking frankly, the common sense to cut them off and get them help. Instead, they pushed them on. I very strongly believe that if it weren't for the radio station not informing the woman of the danger, or helping her when she started to get sick, that she would still be alive today. As such, I put the blame on the DJ's for her death.

If she was aware of the danger and chose to compete and press on after being sick, then I'd be more inclined to place blame on her, or equal blame on both parties, but as it stands I see the radio station at fault. Being that water intoxication is not well known, and as pointed out, people are raised to believe water is a necessity in a daily balanced diet (and it is, in moderation), I can perfectly understand how they could have been unaware of the dangers involved. The DJ's should have had the responsibility to tell them before the contest even took place.

I probably won't convince you, but that's a moot point I suppose, because no one will convince me otherwise either. The DJ's involuntarily killed a woman, and should be held accountable for that.

If this person did have kids... RS needs to set them up with something...

My heart goes out to their family...

all i have to say is LMFAO, This story is just as bad as the one where the romanian surgeon cut a dudes dick off on the operating table and then chopped it up into small pieces cuz he made a mistake and got irritated and took it out on the dude's dick.

adults must know that drinking large amounts of anything can make you ill, if they signed up for it then they cant complain and the ppl shouldnt of been fired.

I hate to say it but its just another case of DUMB America.

Adults don't know everything... Radio station is at fault here... They should have researched before making a silly contest that is life threatening..

Since everyone is now skipping to the last thread and posting something already mentioned, please heed this:

If you don't have anything new to post, please don't post it. We've discussed the ethics and assigned the blame from both sides. All that's left to post is updates of how the case plays out.

Please dont get me wrong.....I'm very sad this woman died for something so stupid as a Wii.
But as an adult, you have no one to depend on but yourself.
You have to be able to weigh your decisions and see the common sense in what you do.
I'm pretty sure my mother told me ANYthing in excess is bad; water, McDonalds,exercise,you name it.
We've become a culture driven to blame someone else everytime we make a mistake. It's just got to end.
The people at the radio station were thoughtless. They did no planning or research to anticipate such an unfortunate outcome, and in that they are liable. BUT they did not plan to harm or injure anyone.
AND the participants did so willingly, uninformed, yes. But we don't know everything that transpired either.
Its an unfortunate accident.Money and lawyers are not going to replace the wife/mother.

Well, I will repeat myself again... but I fear I am getting nowhere.

The radio station was well aware of the danger, the participants were not. The DJ's should have informed the contestants beforehand of the danger involved. Furthermore, when people started getting sick, they should have had the responsibility, and quite fucking frankly, the common sense to cut them off and get them help. Instead, they pushed them on. I very strongly believe that if it weren't for the radio station not informing the woman of the danger, or helping her when she started to get sick, that she would still be alive today. As such, I put the blame on the DJ's for her death.

If she was aware of the danger and chose to compete and press on after being sick, then I'd be more inclined to place blame on her, or equal blame on both parties, but as it stands I see the radio station at fault. Being that water intoxication is not well known, and as pointed out, people are raised to believe water is a necessity in a daily balanced diet (and it is, in moderation), I can perfectly understand how they could have been unaware of the dangers involved. The DJ's should have had the responsibility to tell them before the contest even took place.

I probably won't convince you, but that's a moot point I suppose, because no one will convince me otherwise either. The DJ's involuntarily killed a woman, and should be held accountable for that.

I wasn't debating that. You missunderstood my point. All too often people place blame on everyone else for things that happen in their lives or to them on other people and entities. In this case a radio station.

The woman should have known that what she was doing was a possible risk to her health. It is not the radio station's fault that she was unaware of the consequences of her actions. You should never place so much trust in others. She probably assumed the radio station wouldn't have had her do anything that endangered her health. If in fact she made such an assumption, she was obviously wrong. Let this be a lesson to other radio stations out there and to the rest of us as well.

Now that I've called this dead woman a dumbass, let's move on to the Radio Station.

The radio station legal department approved this contest and obviously didn't see anything wrong with the contest. Strike 1. (There is no excuse for this.)

The radio station provided no medical personnel to monitor the contestants health or to prevent things like this from happening. Strike 2. (There is no excuse for this either.) If the station personnel were unaware of water intoxication prior to the contest, they should have had medics on hand in case someone's stomach burst or they needed to induce vomiting. Surely someone considered this? I'm no doctor, but aside from cellular absorbtion of water screwing with electrolytes in your brain, this just seems like a bad idea to me.

The radio station (in this case the radio show hosts) were told of the danger by several callers and ignored those warnings and put this woman at further risk. Strike 3. (This is negligent and could even qualify as criminal in my mind.)

The radio station should be fined heavily for allowing a contest like this to happen. Secondly, I think that this woman's family has every right to sue and no matter how much money they get out of this, it certainly isn't enough to replace the loss of a mother. I hope they stick it to the radio station [H]ard. An example needs to be made out of them for this incident.

I think there is a fair amount of blame to go around here. This woman should have known better. On the other hand the Radio Station is in my opinion, guilty of negligent homicide. Sounds strong, but I think a good lawyer could make it stick.

The people at the radio station...did no planning or research to anticipate such an unfortunate outcome.... (T)hey did not plan to harm or injure anyone.
So it wasn't premeditated. Fine. It was merely gross negligence.

Look at it from a judge's standpoint, especially considering the evidence of a nurse calling in and DJs showing no precaution or intention to prevent serious injury. The judge will recognize the lack of concern for contestant complaints in a contest so trivial that nothing would be compromised if they had to stop or pause it.

Does anyone know if any press in Philly is following up on this?

So it wasn't premeditated. Fine. It was merely gross negligence.

Look at it from a judge's standpoint, especially considering the evidence of a nurse calling in and DJs showing no precaution or intention to prevent serious injury. The judge will recognize the lack of concern for contestant complaints in a contest so trivial that nothing would be compromised if they had to stop or pause it.

Does anyone know if any press in Philly is following up on this?

I agree completely. She should have known better, but the Radio Station DID know better and chose to ignore what was happening to the woman.

Anyone want a free Wii?

YEAH!!

You gotta enter this contest!

YEAH!!!!

You could die as a result of this contest!!

*crickets*

If the radio station would have said "there is a risk of death..." it would have been the womans fault. Since they KNEW that, DIDN'T warn anyone and HECKLED people that tried to warn them....even the lady that died....um, they are at fault.

How anyone can argue otherwise is beyond me.

Anyone want a free Wii?

YEAH!!

You gotta enter this contest!

YEAH!!!!

You could die as a result of this contest!!

*crickets*

If the radio station would have said "there is a risk of death..." it would have been the womans fault. Since they KNEW that, DIDN'T warn anyone and HECKLED people that tried to warn them....even the lady that died....um, they are at fault.

How anyone can argue otherwise is beyond me.

According to the various radio shows on during the day that have been talking about this every day since it happened, there were no releases signed by the contestants either. The releases they did sign were the typical, we can say your name and use recordings of your voice on our radio broadcasts type of release forms and not anything concerning liability for death and or dismemberment.

According to the various radio shows on during the day that have been talking about this every day since it happened, there were no releases signed by the contestants either. The releases they did sign were the typical, we can say your name and use recordings of your voice on our radio broadcasts type of release forms and not anything concerning liability for death and or dismemberment.

NO LIABILITY RELEASES!?!? WOAH.

Sorry for the caps, but thats unbelievable.

I don't know about that being true or false, it's just what has been said a couple of times on radio shows on 105.3FM throughout the last week.

If there was no release of liability wavier signed, thats just stupidity on the part of the station, I have to assume that was done, as it is fairly standard in "stunts".
I am not a lawyer or judge.......however I believe one has to prove INTENT. There was no intent to harm anyone.
Negligent activity, sure. Since the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit, if I look at you wrong there is argument for some sort of negligence.
Again, I'm sick over this stupid act. It makes me ill that people are so careless, all to get a laugh or up their ratings.
It still doesnt take the woman out of the loop of responsibility.
Nothing surprises me anymore, so I'm certain one of the radiostation people will be charged with negligent wrongful death.

If there was no release of liability wavier signed, thats just stupidity on the part of the station, I have to assume that was done, as it is fairly standard in "stunts".
I am not a lawyer or judge.......however I believe one has to prove INTENT. There was no intent to harm anyone.
Negligent activity, sure. Since the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit, if I look at you wrong there is argument for some sort of negligence.
Again, I'm sick over this stupid act. It makes me ill that people are so careless, all to get a laugh or up their ratings.
It still doesnt take the woman out of the loop of responsibility.
Nothing surprises me anymore, so I'm certain one of the radiostation people will be charged with negligent wrongful death.

This is a case of liability, intent is not an issue.

This is a case of liability, intent is not an issue.

I'm speaking about criminal action, not liability. Yes, there may be liability. Intention is for criminal actions, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm speaking about criminal action, not liability. Yes, there may be liability. Intention is for criminal actions, if I'm not mistaken.

Okay, so if we remove intention it isn't murder. They did not kill her, but they let her die. They didn't intend for anyone to get hurt. According to some evidence being tossed around, we could make the claim that they knew about the risk but didn't heed the dangers or warn the contestants.

People can still kill people accidentally. We can't call it murder, but they're still at fault for her death. Unfortunately for the radio station staff involved with this contest, I doubt a judge will consider this entirely an accident.

My apologies, I must have missed that. Intent does need to be proven for certain kinds of criminal actions, but it is not necessary for all. I would hope that everyone could agree that no one wanted this women to die, nor had any intent of killing her.

My apologies, I must have missed that. Intent does need to be proven for certain kinds of criminal actions, but it is not necessary for all. I would hope that everyone could agree that no one wanted this women to die, nor had any intent of killing her.

I'm sure no one did. I think it's a matter of negligence. The two brain-dead retard hosts of the show acknowledged that water intoxication was a possibility, and heckeled anyone who called in to suggest that. In the actual recording of the show, they said something to the effect of "well they all signed releases, they can quit anytime. If they quit, they automatically lose the contest." That to me shows depraived indifference. So while I don't believe they are responsible in the criminal sense, I think they do shoulder some burden or responsibility because of their indifference and negligence in the matter.

I'm sure no one did. I think it's a matter of negligence. The two brain-dead retard hosts of the show acknowledged that water intoxication was a possibility, and heckeled anyone who called in to suggest that. In the actual recording of the show, they said something to the effect of "well they all signed releases, they can quit anytime. If they quit, they automatically lose the contest." That to me shows depraived indifference. So while I don't believe they are responsible in the criminal sense, I think they do shoulder some burden or responsibility because of their indifference and negligence in the matter.

Oh for sure, I believe they are liable for her death.

Now I believe that a wrongful death suit has been filed. Now I am a little hazy in this area, because this is a civil action, brought on by her family. I do know that ths burden of proof is the preponderance of evidence, which is much easier to prove. In addition there is no blanket law which allows one to recover civil damages as the result of a wrongful death. However each state has its on take on this, and depending on where this took place, it may be allowed.

It's pretty much official folks, lawsuit has been filed!
Link
Family sue over Wii stunt death
Sacramento radio station KDND is being sued by the family of the woman who tragically died trying to win a Wii for her children.
Earlier in the week we reported on the sorry tale of the young mother who died of water intoxication after taking part in a radio stunt to win a Nintendo Wii. Jennifer Strange 28, mother of three, drank so much water during the competition that it lead to her death.

As we reported previously, the radio station fired ten members of staff, but as you expect, Ms Strange's family aren't seeing that as the end of the line for this tragedy. During the competition the DJs joked about the potential dangers of the competition and ignored health warnings from concerned listeners. The family are now bringing a wrongful death suit.

"The station knew this was a dangerous and potentially deadly stunt, but flippantly dismissed the dangers," said the bereaved family's lawyer Roger Dreyer. "Hearing the tape it's very clear they knew of the dangers and could foresee that this could lead to Jennifer's death."

"Outrageousness at any cost has become the industry standard - the trashier and more humiliating the better," Dreyer continued. "It's time to stop the recklessness."

Dreyer said the suit would be filed following a memorial service for Ms Strange.

Meanwhile online reports suggest that the local police are investigating the case to see if criminal charges should be brought against former radio station employees. This would be despite the previous claim of Sacramento County Sheriff John McGuinnes that he didn't think there were criminal charges to answer.

So why are you responding? You speculate that someone else died of the same reason not long ago, and yet you're neutral? Are you implying that she was supposed to be in-tune with news around the country (you made no mention of where this frat brother died) and heed the warning?

We leave it to the legal system to find an outcome. What we know is that contestants partook in a dangerous radio station contest while the DJs, knowing the danger involved, brushed aside the side effects and made no effort to prevent a tragedy.

Are you a 28-year-old mother? If you died today, would you leave behind children?

Have some sympathy.

I don't know the specifics of the frat bro: his name, fraternity, university, etc. It's just one of those memories that was on the edge of becoming purged when suddenly recalled by this tragedy.

I don't know the specifics of this case either. Who knew or said what. No one forced the woman to participate, yet this was probably preventable. This was negligence on the radio station's part, but can anyone blame the woman for being naive? I don't mean that the radio station should get off scott-free though.

I don't know the specifics of the frat bro: his name, fraternity, university, etc. It's just one of those memories that was on the edge of becoming purged when suddenly recalled by this tragedy.

I don't know the specifics of this case either. Who knew or said what. No one forced the woman to participate, yet this was probably preventable. This was negligence on the radio station's part, but can anyone blame the woman for being naive? I don't mean that the radio station should get off scott-free though.

Depending on where you live, what you do and what your education. It might not seem obvious that you could die from drinking too much water. The woman in the contest clearly did not know the risk, nor was informed of it.

Radio stations hold all sorts of goofy contents that could result in injury, but rarely any that risk death. Given the facts, and the way the contest was constructed, it seems rather clear the station was warned of the risk and did nothing to warn the contestants or provide a safety net in the form of paramedics or monitoring the contestants at all.

Hell I consider my self well educated and had not through of drinking too much water as being dangerous to anything but my bladder but based on that alone I would question why there where no paramedics on hand.

This was negligence on the radio station's part, but can anyone blame the woman for being naive? I don't mean that the radio station should get off scott-free though.

Do you feel passionately about anything? Do you just kinda humperdink around, remaining neutral everywhere you go?

Do you feel passionately about anything? Do you just kinda humperdink around, remaining neutral everywhere you go?

Absolutely. I think Xbox360 is the best console on the market. I think Mustangs rock. I prefer brunettes over blondes. I definitely was not that guy in your classroom that didn't raise his hand because the other kids weren't raising there's. However, there are things that I'm just not black and white about.

I'm not about to jump to a conclusion in this matter. I know that I'm an idiot. I know that I don't know. Learned ignorance keeps my mind open to the possibilities. Yeah.. it sounds like a paradox. What I mean is, I cannot choose the greater of the two evils here. Both parties were "stupid" (for the lack of a better word) to some extent. If I were to take the information in this thread as factual, I'd say the radio station is free. The woman signed a release, correct? It would be ridiculous (although expected in America) to see criminal charges presented. In a civil suit, the two talk show hosts were obviously negligent.

It truly is sad that a mother has perished in this ordeal, but I wouldn't lose sleep or give a second thought about such grim news. I didn't know the woman. I don't know the radio station, either. How can I be passionate about this? :D

Back