Temps a bit too high for Q9550 OCing

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
So my Q9550 @ 3.5GHz/1.208v(According to CPU-Z) under load is pushing 58C and idle is around 38C. I'm using distilled water with some PT nuke, with an apogee block (original) which was just lapped and polished, along with the CPU which was just cleaned using the arctic silver cleaner. I cleaned the block out well and got all new tubing, and a new res. My rad is a 2x120 swiftech (with built in res). I don't know what more I can do! I thought my temps a while back were much better, but apparently I was mistaken. I also have a 4870x2 block in the loop with a switch chipset block (both after the CPU) so its CPU -> NB -> GPU -> Rad -> Res -> Pump. I have the XSPC res which allows me to have dual loops (which I'm looking to put the GPU on its own loop. Does anyone think that would decrease my temps? I just don't know why they are so high and frankly, its ticking me off as I'm going through all this work and not seeing any gain.

These temps are good do not worry about them. You are no where near the max of 100C. I would not start to worry till I see 80C on the overclock.

My 4870x2, at stock 750/900, with a DD 4870x2 FC block, does about 32-34C idle and while playing Crysis Warhead, it hits about 60-62C load. I saw some other guy on another forum get about low 40s while under load so I'm not sure my mine are so high. Any thoughts? i had put a clean sheet of thermal paste on the cores before the block.

Your temps aren't bad. Mine is about the same except, 53-55C on load.

The reason it may be a little higher then others is because your using a single double rad for an oc'd processor and two gpus in a loop. I would add another double or triple rad to the loop. Your temps would go down enough to maybe make you feel a little better. :D

lol, your really worried at 58 under load. My e8400 idles at 48-50c...and jumps up to 75c under load.
I'm about to upgrade from the stock intel heatsink, but still only so i can overclock more and have the same temps. Chips throttle down before they damage themselves, so i would say you are just fine.

Your temps aren't bad. Mine is about the same except, 53-55C on load.

The reason it may be a little higher then others is because your using a single double rad for an oc'd processor and two gpus in a loop. I would add another double or triple rad to the loop. Your temps would go down enough to maybe make you feel a little better. :D

Theres only one GPU in my loop.

What im planning on doing is getting another 2x120mm rad and installing it somehow (thats yet to figured out but any assistance would be greatly appreciated ..its a P182 case) and having dual loops

1) Res -> CPU -> NB -> Rad -> Pump
2) Res -> GPU -> Rad -> Pump

That way the two hottest components are on their own loops and I dont have to worry about the CPUs heat dissipation flowing into the GPU. Each will get there own. The only thing I'm trying to figure out right now is ...where the hell to put the second rad!

Also, what about my GPU temps? Do they seem normal? Again, I havent been up to par on any of this stuff in a long time but I recall my GPU temps were a bit lower. I mean I know people using the stock cooler and, for that card, reaching temps of up to 100C for load. so 60C aint that bad all considering.

Edit: Hmm, I just saw this rad stacking method. Does anyone think that will work for two loops rather than one loop with two rads?

Anyone know about the rad stacking method if that will work with two loops instead of a single loop?

your rad is in the roof of the case? if you must stay with internal radiators then you might be runing out of space without some aggresive modding. I have that same case. You could probably fit a MCR320 in the roof if you aren't using your top 2 drive bays. You might then be able to stack your MCR220 underneath the 320, but i don't know for sure. with fans its going to get really thick, and that is not a wide case.

If you can hang a rad off the back of the case you are golden, just mount one up like med1k did as pictured in the Swiftech rad/res/pump thread.

When someone mentioned you have 2 GPUs, they were talking about the 4870X2 having 2 GPUs on 1 card, so yes, you do have 2 GPUs, they just share the same cooling block.

My current setup has my rad mounted on the back of the case. I would mount the second rad to the back of that. I really dont want to do any modding to the case.

In that case go ahead and stack the radiators off the back of the case. Make sure there are fans or shrouds attached to the back of your MCR220, then mount an MCR320 on the back of the fans/shrouds so you have the fans thickness separating the 2 rads. You end up with a pretty heavy setup hanging on the back of the case. You also run out of holes to put hoses through unless you put in an expansion slot bracket with tube holes in it.

I would mount one inside and the other externally.

Stacking rad's just means there's warm air blowing through the second rad. So if they are separated your temps will/should be better.

I would only really worry about a second loop if you add another card, or nb/sb/mosfets (even then though they don't all that hot). Two pumps take up a lot of space and can get noisy.

Loop order isn't all that important. You MUST have the reservoir before the pump, however. IMO it's better to have the rad's just before the CPU/GPU because that's when the water will be the coolest.

I have the XSPC res/pump which includes dual, separate res' for two loop configs. So that doesnt take up anymore room than it currently does.

I always have Rad -> Res -> Pump . I'm not that new to WCing :p I have been doing this for many years and have amassed a fair bit of knowledge about this but I was just a bit puzzled when I saw my temps that high and I have never done rad stacking.

As I stated, I really don't want to mod the case. I suck at cutting metal and don't want to pay someone to do it, heh. Im just wondering if by stacking them, how much the second rad would suffer from the first rads heat. I mean if its a few degrees, I really don't care. If its 10+, then OK.

So I have everything in a dual loop now
Loop 1: CPU & NB on 3x120mm XSPC High Performance Rad
Loop 2: 4870x2 on 2x120mm Swiftech Rad

Both use the same res and pumps (dual loop, split res chamber)

GPU temps are high 20's/low 30's idle and 50C load (MW2 for two hours :p)
CPU temps are 38C idle and 54-56C load

Again, I don't see much has changed between single and dual loops, even with different coolant than before.

It's probably because you were not actually loading your computer at 100% across all cores. I have a gtx 260 with a q6600 in the same loop and if i turn off the fans to one of the radiators and use intel burn test, i get load temps of like 75, but if I turn the other fans back on, it shoots down to 55C.

Back