Tempered glass on Note 8

hitched

Limp Gawd
I really want to upgrade my note 4 to the note 8 but my problem is with not being able to have a tempered glass protecter that doesn't take away from the screens touch sensitivity (from not having adhesive over the entire glass). I work in construction and it is a tough environment for a phone, the only reason i havent destroyed the screen on my current note i's from thsee protectors. So tempered glass protector is not an option but a requirement...

This is what I want to know, is there some type of adhesive I can add that would keep the touch sensitivity and not permanently stick the glass to the phone? I don't see why there wouldn't be or why this couldn't be done just don't know what to use.

I had an Otium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for my S8+ and it worked great and covered the entire screen. I bought the S8 version of the Otium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for my mother's phone and the touch sensitivity was abysmal (thank God for Amazon returns). Its really hit or miss.

I haven't seen any adhesives that you can apply as I imagine most will cause some sort of image distortion. The tempered glass screen protectors with adhesive on the entire protector have a tiny dot matrix that seem to work well and I only saw it in direct sunlight when the screen was off.

I guess I need to get some cheap flat tempered glass and do some experiments with my old S4. I am wondering if a small amount of clear silicone would work, I know it would stick pretty hard but I know I could get it off without scratching the screen..

I've been looking into this myself, and it seems like there is ONE good option that blows away the rest - if you don't mind a somewhat complicated setup procedure. Given the tests on case compatibility and how certain cases will peel the glass from the phone at the corners, I'd say it's not actually a permanent adhesive you're pouring onto the screen in case you need to remove it.

Alas, these Whitestone Dome Glass things aren't cheap, but hey, $45 is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new Note 8 screen, right? Beats having to deal with dot matrix patterns and ineffective edge adhesive, too. I'm this tempted to pull the trigger right out of the gate now that I've got mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Whitestone-Dome-Protector-Sensitivity-Anti-Fingerprint/dp/B075D1PR6Y/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been looking into this myself, and it seems like there is ONE good option that blows away the rest - if you don't mind a somewhat complicated setup procedure. Given the tests on case compatibility and how certain cases will peel the glass from the phone at the corners, I'd say it's not actually a permanent adhesive you're pouring onto the screen in case you need to remove it.

Alas, these Whitestone Dome Glass things aren't cheap, but hey, $45 is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new Note 8 screen, right? Beats having to deal with dot matrix patterns and ineffective edge adhesive, too. I'm this tempted to pull the trigger right out of the gate now that I've got mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Whitestone-Dome-Protector-Sensitivity-Anti-Fingerprint/dp/B075D1PR6Y/

Holy sh*t man that is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! and 45 bux is nothing for a proper screen protector for these damn curved screens, for the short time I had my note 7, I probably spent that much or more trying to find one that would work properly only to find all the tempered glass is only adhered on the edges which is COMPLETE bull sh*t

How's the Note 8 treating ya ? Is it smooth and fast ? Or still have some of the Lagwiz ?

FedEx is screwing me over.. should have been delivered Saturday but got pushed to Monday (today)

So I got this kit in the mail today as well as my note 8 and first thing I did is install this glass and it works amazing and I am no longer scared (or at least as scared) about this curved glass touch response is perfect and got perfect in the spigen case that I bought. If you have a note 8 this is definitely a must have

Glad to hear it's working out for you! Amazon still hasn't shipped mine yet, but that's par for the course when picking free shipping without Prime.

Meanwhile, I've still gone a week with my Note 8, having to run it nude. At least I haven't had to deal with any screen scratches in the meantime, so it should still look pristine once it's time to give it some extra glass reinforcement.

How's the Note 8 treating ya ? Is it smooth and fast ? Or still have some of the Lagwiz ?
You of all people may not believe this, but if you've seen my posts in the Note 8 thread, this phone feels, to borrow a term often used to describe the ol' Macintosh IIfx, wicked fast.

No, seriously. People have done comparisons between the S8 and Note 8, and despite what you'd expect from similar hardware, the Note 8 can hold about three times as many apps in memory despite having only 2 GB additional RAM. That and I'm hard-pressed to recall it ever hitching or stuttering during routine scrolls.

It's like Samsung is finally getting their act together on real-world performance and user experience between that and finally letting us disable the Bixby button, though it obviously remains to be seen if this smooth performance holds up after they get around to rolling out Oreo.

I still remember how Lollipop 5.0.1 nerfed Note 4 performance so badly that Gear VR users were advised to stay on KitKat until later Lollipop 5.1.1 updates smoothed it out to better-than-KitKat levels. Even then, it wasn't nearly as smooth as an AOSP'd LG G3, let alone the Note 8.

Last edited:
The only thing that is giving me problems with my note is when I start my navigation it seems to have a hard time figured out where I am at then after moving it does like it is supposed to do...

Battery seems to drop a little faster then I would like but I really can't complain at all with how much I keep this thing on and in my hand

I finally got my Whitestone Dome Glass and Caseology Vault from Amazon today, so I'm not forced to run my Note 8 naked any more, thank goodness.

I've fiddled about with my fair share of glass screen protectors for mostly flat-screened phones (though Samsung has that subtly curved glass on the Note 4 and later that results in an annoying "halo" effect with most flat glass protectors), and Whitestone has blown them all away right off the bat. Yes, the setup procedure is a bit complex, but if you take your time, make sure you let the glue blob flow to the middle before pulling the pin and dropping the glass (it'll probably touch the glass once it's in position, even before you pull it), and tape off the ports on the phone first, you should be good to go.

There was some cured glue on the backside that I had to clean off afterward, but other than that, the installation went flawlessly. My diligence in keeping any dust and lint from sneaking in between protector and screen paid off, and it looks perfectly clear - no halo effect from the protector not adhering at the edges, no distracting dot matrix pattern, just solid glass. There's a bit of screen reflection at the very sides, but when looking head-on, the protector covers the ENTIRE screen, negating a pet peeve I have with certain S6/S7 screen protectors. (If only the glass protectors I got for my mother's S7 didn't have like 5mm worth of "halo" on each side... I should try LOCA glue next time I apply one of those things to close the gap at the edges, as it's more or less what Whitestone uses with their Dome Glass protectors.)

So yeah, now I'm convinced, especially for curved edge screens. Tempered glass without that distracting dumb dot matrix and LOCA glue is the way to go, and right now, Whitestone is the only game in town. Sure, it's expensive, but so is the Note 8 you're putting it on. The best phone deserves the best screen protector, don't you think?

As for the Caseology Vault, it feels solid, yet flexible enough to put on and take off without much trouble (important for Gear VR users and people who need to get to the microSD/SIM tray regularly). Texture's nice and grippy, which nicely solves my gripes with the Note 8's slippery, polished nature and makes one-handed use much easier (yes, I one-handed my Note 4 sometimes, and the Note 8 is no different). It's less bulky than the OtterBox Commuter I have on my Note 4, albeit without port covers; however, with the IP68 rating, I'm not worried too much about crap getting into the ports. And just as GravX promised, it's perfectly compatible with the Whitestone Dome Glass when the glass is installed just right, no pushing on the corners.

And most of all, the window for the camera module makes the fingerprint scanner a hell of a lot easier to locate blindly! Just feel up the side for the slope toward the cutout, drag inward when you find it, and there it is - right in place, phone's unlocked! The placement doesn't really bother me now that I've got this thing covering the back.

All in all, I think I'm satisfied with my accessory picks here and shouldn't need a new case for the rest of the Note 8's useful lifespan - or even a new glass screen protector, should this one never get scratched or shattered. Even then, that's very unlikely, since GravX tried to scratch the Dome Glass and failed, only managing to crack it with a chest-high drop on a bathroom tile floor - with no underlying damage to the Note 8's screen, and no more difficulty removing than traditional screen protectors without UV-cured LOCA glue.

have both the vault and legion cases, will have to try the whitestone glass sometime. FYI about same price as ZAGG invisglass im using now.

Back