Tempered glass case shattered

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Thinking twice about buying a tempered glass case again at least I have my backup Coolermaster case.
The case was a Bitfenix Shogun and it was the back glass panel so at least the front is intact. I'm sure not all tempered glass is made the same but if I had something like a Corsair case with 4 glass panels I would be worried. If you ever transfer a case make sure you take the panels off first because the the structure of the case could place stress on the tempered glass side panels. It had to explode on the carpet as well but most of it was on the wooden floor. At least I have improved airflow now with the back panel missing.

? Im intrigued.
What happened?
You transferred your hardware over and it broke while having been laid down?

I too amintrigued. I am using the Lian Li 011XL case, it has 2 glass sides, and I moved it from a friend's house to mine several times as we were working on some troubleshooting I was having an issue with. I never had any damage to it, and since it has a custom hard tube water loop in it, I know it has quite a bit of weight which might put stress on the case while being moved.

I had a Lan handle or carry strap to carry it down the steps where I took it to the garage dusted it off with a leaf blower. I put the glass panels back on. Then carried it back upstairs where I hit a step not hard plus it was carpeted it just shattered in my hand I just bumped it but the lan strap didn't break. You gotta figure the glass is being balanced on 4 screws I should of babied it and took the panels off before I went down and up the steps. It could of been from flex in the case. Tempered glass is just that glass it's not as strong as you would like to believe it should be made like fiberglass.

Now I can't find any cases on the internet that I like or that are not ugly. I might bug Bitfenix see if they have a replacement or try to find one on ebay that won't ship broken.

Right now I have both panels off now just feel stupid having one glass panel on. I was tempted to goto my other case but I figured just take the panels off and live it with it since I don't have pets or kids or window nearby.

Last edited:
Always take the glass panels off when picking up and moving the case.

Always.

Ah ok. Thats just bad luck man.
You may as well get ahold of bitfenix the worst they can say is no.
Tempered glass is usually really strong but like you alluded to the 4 screw holes make it weak as fuck. If not for that it likely would have bounced right off and just made your heart go in your throat.
GL with the replacement, hopefully bitfenix hooks you up!

Tempered glass is just that glass it's not as strong as you would like to believe it should be made like fiberglass.
Fiberglass isn't transparent is the problem. It could be auto grade safety glass, but then thickness and weight become an issue. Pick your poison, Poly - Easy scratch, or Tempered glass, don't drop it.

Ordered a second phanteks evolv atx tempered glass that wasn't packaged properly on ebay a few weeks ago....

20210401_142515_HDR.jpg

Every single glass problem I had was with the cheaper bitfenix cases. They will replace the glass if you contact them. I just literally touched mine and it exploded.

Fractal cases seem to have bad reviews on TG doors that just explode so I picked up a Asus 501 Tuf 4mm TG door instead. I hardly even bumped my case and it exploded.

Fractal cases seem to have bad reviews on TG doors that just explode so I picked up a Asus 501 Tuf instead. I hardly even bumped my case and it exploded.
its all thats needed when you wraps straps around it putting pressure on the glass and then whack the edge of the panel on the stairs.

Tempered glass is under tension. When you release that tension, it explodes. All it takes is a bump, scratch, crack and it's done. You could pop a panel with the button on your pants if you aren't careful. Be careful.

Oh, and if you see a crack or a scratch from the factory, that's a defect and the panel will be dead soon. RMA asap.

47f6107d0bc4b22952f4e066d331cbca?s=64&d=mm&r=g.jpgBitfenix
3 hours ago
Hello,

Hope the glass did not hurt you.
We don’t have the glass can be sent to you in factory. We will suggest you to find a local shop for glass cutting or laser cutting for glass or acrylic.
And we can help to provide the size of the glass Please check the file attached.

Thank you for your support of our products

Kinda figured that because everything is sold out on their site including my case which is from 2017.
Like 3 years ago they had panels with their online shop.

That sucks, at least they have you drawings to have some manufactured, but that might be costly...

Best bet would be to find a local laser cutter and have some polycarbonate cut. It's not as clear as tempered glass but it won't break the bank. You might find tempered glass but I'm not sure how well it cuts on a laser. Polycarbonate cuts like butter.

You could try ponoko? If you need help with CAD files let me know.

Edit, I just looked, acrylic is cheap and easy, plus you could get some wicked designs etched into the sheets. That's my vote.

You probably better off buying a new case then having a new glass panel made. It won't be cheap. The glass panels we buy at my job cost us over $100 for a 15x15 piece of glass and it is not even tempered. That is also bulk pricing too since we buy 100+ at a time.

Finally own a case with a PSU shroud. Had to check out the tempered glass right away. Prob going to Goodwill my other case they take anything. I guess the case even though it's Asus branding it's made by Coolermaster. Plus it has RGB fans not a fan of the paint splatter though maybe if it was military camo or something. I would of went with Fractal design but the bug cases are too big and the regular cases were too short Bequiet cases also looked good.

Attachments

• 20210514_125228.jpg
    20210514_125228.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 0
Tempered glass is somewhat of a new fad to me, personally ive always used 1/8" acryllic without issues. You can grab colors form somwhere like here:
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_color/341

Get some U channel molding and a dremel and go to town, cases with plain flat metal panels are usually cheaper too, so you can add any color/size window you like and save a few bucks on the cost of the case.

Heres an old Antec 302 I did a while back, 4 triangle windows on the side panel plus a rectangle on top for an LED bar. Not my best work, I think I was 15 when I did this :p

Attachments

• 100B3310.JPG
    100B3310.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3323.JPG
    100_3323.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 357985

New Home suppose I should get axwatercooler for the CPU if I wanted to do justice.
You're going to leave the warning sticker on indefinitely aren't you :D,
and Nah, I like air cooling as far as aesthetics go. Watercooling makes it look like farm equipment IMO. If only Noctua had chosen a colour other than brown... A light/dark grey combo would look sick on that cooler. Cooler looks sweet though, all lined up with the fans and such.

I spent about two hours getting the PSU shroud to fit. The PSU upright position though but I mean the back is open. Any other case without proper holes it wouldn't of worked there are two large holes on top meant for GPU cables but I stuffed x4 sata cables through the other hole. The Sata ports are in the bottom of the board instead of the side.

Attachments

• 20210519_080253.jpg
    20210519_080253.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: travm
like this
You're going to leave the warning sticker on indefinitely aren't you :D,
and Nah, I like air cooling as far as aesthetics go. Watercooling makes it look like farm equipment IMO. If only Noctua had chosen a colour other than brown... A light/dark grey combo would look sick on that cooler. Cooler looks sweet though, all lined up with the fans and such.
Noctua has chromax now https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

Back