Temperature of Servers and Doors

Rees

n00b
I know that tere needs to be some kind of temperature control in the room where the server is going to be. Does anyone know the actuall temperature has to be, approximatly?

Also

Doors entering the server room, I have been told that they need to open outwards to serve the health and safty rules and regulations? Is this correct?

Thanks
Rees

I don't let the operators adjust the temp over 70 degrees - luckily they like it cold and usually have it set around 68.

Don't know what difference the doors make, but ours has one opening inward, and one opeing outward. :cool:

The last server room I built had it's own dedicated AC installed and the Thermostat is set at 68 to this day.

As for doors, the door to it opens inwards.

Temperature? 70 degrees is perfect. With all the racks grounded I opted for VST flooring as opposed to ESD. If I had a humidifier to control the humidity then I'd definitely opt for ESD flooring. I'd smack the admin that doesn't have his own dedicated AC or dedicated electrical panel to his/her server room.

Doors? Depends on size of server room, orientation of room, and preference of the person requesting the install. The server room I'm in now has a single inward swinging door that only opens slightly past 90 degrees. The FM-200 fire supression system is right behind it. I've seen large data centers with double inward swinging doors. I've seen a server room with an outward swinging door. Unusual yeah but requested by the IT admin.

we keep ours at 70F humidity is about 28%, nice deidicated hvac, raised floor. Door swings out

Ours are set at 70F and 40% humidity.

Humidity can be set lower however, we have a lot of in/out foot traffic to that room and the actual humidity is usually around 35%-38%.

Is the point of the outward swinging doors a security measure? I guess it would be harder to kick the door in.

ipconfig /all said:
Is the point of the outward swinging doors a security measure? I guess it would be harder to kick the door in.

Who knows...but our door is very heavy and swings into the server room.

70F here and the doors open inward. Humidity isn't a concern when you live in the desert.

Server room here is 70F and ~30% humidity on a dedicated HVAC system. Double doors open inwards. Push button keylock on the handle too...

Regardless of which way the door opens, the real issue is having positive air pressure inside the server room so that dust and debris blows outward and doens't flow into the room with the equipment. It really helps keep out the dust and dirt that can block fans, vents, etc.

For temps, the average acceptable ranges I've seen are 62 - 70 degrees and 30 - 40% humidity. Any lower and you risk excessive static buildup. Any more and you raise the possibility of condensation issues.

I never worked in a server room before, but I was under the impression that doors usually open outward for fire escape purposes (easier to push the door, esp. if there is a whole crowd of people trying to push you into the door).

Back