Tell me about Grados

computerpro3 said:
I don't understand why no one suggested used Ms-1 and a Pimeta (you could even have an amp custom done from MisterX, I have a PPA 2.0 built by him that I am extremley happy with). I honestly believe that would be the best sound quality at or around $200 total. I have the Grado RS-1 ($700 headphones) and my friend has the MS-1 ($100 new, 80 used), and for someone who doesn't have a trained ear, you won't be able to notice that much of a difference.

As far as my opinion of Grado's, here's a little story about how I got started in high end audio. I was looking for good headphones, and of course, thought of Sennheiser. I tried out 650's and they were nice. Was planning on purchasing them used for $350 or so when a pair popped up. By chance, I was over my Uncles house and he had these headphones called Grado SR-225. I tried them on and I was absolutley blown away. That night I went home and blew my entire budget on RS-1's. I had no cash for a source or anything, but I didn't care. I had to have that sound. I actually ran them out of my ipod for a while. Nearly five months later I still think that was the best decision I have ever made regarding anything electronic.

I saved up and eventually was able to build a system around them; now I have a high end PPA2 amp from MisterX, I'm in the process of buying a high end source (Storm D02 DAC), and I have top notch power conditioning equipment. At each upgrade I was more and more blown away by their capabilities. That is one thing to consider; how the heaphones scale. Because trust me, once you hear Grado's, no matter how much you tell yourself you won't upgrade anything, you will. It's the head-fi curse. I hate to do this to you, but check out www.headfi.com. You can read all you want about any specific headphone model and the proper amps to with them and such.

Oh, and as for gaming, I was Cal-M in CS:Source and used my RS-1's as headphones. When you spend $100+ on headphones such as Grado's or Sennheisers, keep in mind that while they may do things better than each other, they will both still be leaps and bounds above the el-cheapo logitech/altec lansing headphones, including soundstage and gaming.

If you want grado's, there are really only two options for your price; buy the SR-225 and begin saving for building a system around them (they will scale as you add better equipment) or get the MS-1 and an amp like the Pimeta. Or you could just buy the RS-1 now and save money in the long run :p

That's not really going to work. I don't have that much cash to dump into this off the bat. As of right now, I am thinking SR-125's for muis and A700's for gaming. I will buy an amp for the grados a little down the road.

Don't get the 125's, they're defnitely an oddball in the grado lineup and don't sound particularly good. If you have 100$ to spend on a grado'ish phone, definitely go for the ms-1. MS-1 for music, and the a700/a500 for gaming would be very very good.

Just get the sr225's for a good price on audiogon or head-fi. Headphones can last years if taken care of well, and most cans up for sale are less than half a year old.

Patients my son. :p

If your friend is still planning on purchasing a pair SR-60s for your birthday next week than hold off buying anything else til then and see how you like them.
If you don't like them than you haven't lost anything, right? ;)

In other news, I own a pair of SR-325s and love them! :) The music I listen to includes rock, heavy metal, industrial, electronica and jazz.

I own a pair of 125's and they are far and away the best sounding thing I own. I don't have too much experience with other reasonably "high end" audio equipment, but they really are much better than any other peice of audio equipment I own.

darkpark said:
Patients my son. :p

If your friend is still planning on purchasing a pair SR-60s for your birthday next week than hold off buying anything else til then and see how you like them.
If you don't like them than you haven't lost anything, right? ;)

In other news, I own a pair of SR-325s and love them! :) The music I listen to includes rock, heavy metal, industrial, electronica and jazz.

He said hed either buy me the 60's, or put $70 towards something else of my choosing.

yellafella321 said:
Don't get the 125's, they're defnitely an oddball in the grado lineup and don't sound particularly good. If you have 100$ to spend on a grado'ish phone, definitely go for the ms-1. MS-1 for music, and the a700/a500 for gaming would be very very good.

I can't find the MS-1 for sale anywhere. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction? Google aint helping much :(

Well if you get the Grados and don't like them then I would be happy to buy them off of you. I've been needing to get a new pair of headphones. :)

Viper87227 said:
Well, I have another concideration.

I could get a pair of SR-60's for music (I hear these are damn good for the price... input? Are the 80's worth the extra money?)

The 80s are definitely worth the extra $20 or whatever over the 60s. The bass is noticably better. (deeper w/ more presence)

British mag What Hi-Fi says:

***** (Five stars)

"...these are truly wonderful hearphones, they've got the bass energy... ripping into heavy tracks with a gusto that eludes lesser rivals. With vocals they intoxicate with a natural feel and beautifully proportioned soundstage: few headphones can transport you as convincingly... The Grado SR80's are special. Buy'em, and Love'em."

I'm biased because I own them, but I think they are hands down the best headphones for $100 or less.

Like someone mentioned, Alesandro Music headphones are also excellent.
They are actually rebranded Grado headphones but you get more for your money.
The MS-1s are really SR-80s but with the upgraded voice coil wire from the SR-125s
at the price of the SR-80s !
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

I think without a dedicated amp, the grados will sound better than equivalent sennheiser due to the sennheiser's high impedance. Although the 595s are a much higher end model than the SR-80s. Equivalent grados are either the SR-225s or 325s.
I wouldn't even consider the higher end sennheiser models unless you are positively going to use a dedicated headphone amp.

Also for headphones amps, if you're into DIY, you can clone a grado RA-1 amp for much less than what they cost retail. Like 1/4 the price. There are other good kits too.
http://www.head-fi.org/

Lastly, regarding grado comfort - When you first buy them, they are uncomfortable.
But after you've worn them for a few weeks, the pads comform to your ears and they are fine. The first couple weeks I had mine I really thought I made a mistake, they sound great but hurt my ears if I wore them for more than an hour. But they really do break in and after a while they are perfectly comfortable. :)

Ive been finding myself SERIOUSLY considering MS-1s over the last few days, but I wonder how they stack up to SR-225s (what I really wanted in the first place).

cfull said:
Ive been finding myself SERIOUSLY considering MS-1s over the last few days, but I wonder how they stack up to SR-225s (what I really wanted in the first place).

I've never heard 225s, but like we've said the MS-1s are in between SR-80s and SR-125s.
So they won't be quite as refined as 225s but you can demo some SR-80s to get a feel for the MS-1s

With regards to mods on MS-1 phones,
Quite literally they are the same headphones.
I'm nearly certain mods designed for grados will work on alessandros.

Viper87227 said:
Because i cant afford to put $100 earpards on $200 headphones?

Take the $190 and buy a headphone for that money, rather than putting C-Pads on a worse headphone.

digitalmind said:
Take the $190 and buy a headphone for that money, rather than putting C-Pads on a worse headphone.

I think I'd rather have the c-pads. I am rather used to them. Comfort is a big issue here, as these could be worn for hours on end. I will be spending alot of time with schoolwork accompanied by music. Comfort is key. It also means I don't have to have $200 up front. I can get the cans and use them a bit, and then get the c-pads later.

Viper87227 said:
I think I'd rather have the c-pads. I am rather used to them. Comfort is a big issue here, as these could be worn for hours on end. I will be spending alot of time with schoolwork accompanied by music. Comfort is key. It also means I don't have to have $200 up front. I can get the cans and use them a bit, and then get the c-pads later.

Right, in that case, C-Pads aren't a bad option. However, I have no trouble comfort wise with Grados. Lot of people do though, so you wouldn't be the only one. :)

I still ay get a pair of used sr225s and you might STILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD C-PADS if you find a good deal

I've got a pair of HD650's at home and a pair of RS-1's that literally just got here today. I'll be able to tell you which is better, high-end Senns or high-end Grados, by this time next week. Have a Gilmore Lite amp coming in at the end of the week so this weekend will be a great aural experience :)

Back