Tell me about Dragon Age: Origins

Freezebyte

2[H]4U
Up until now, I hadn't really heard or cared about Dragons Age: Origin until I went to the offical website was very pleased to find out it was being made by my beloved BioWare, makers of KOTOR and Mass Effect, two of my most favorite games ever.

Needless to say, im intrigued. Is this game gonna be like Fable 2 but hopefully better? Fable 2 was intriging but it got kinda lame and and boring after awhile. I LOVED oblivion and am still currently playing Fallout 3, is this game gonna be similar to these in any way? I only played the Balders Gate series a little bit and I just couldn't get into it, my Diablo gameplay days have long since left my interest

I'll be getting this for my 360 for my own reasons unless someone can convince me to go PC, I don't see much point as there is no multiplayer at all and I doubt modding will be much of anything..

Last edited:
Pc for a superior gameplay experience in every way that matters. Better graphics, better control and yes mods.

DAO is NOTHING like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, or Fable 2. Its like the old Baldur's Gate games. Not the console Diablo-style games you must have played.

DAO is NOTHING like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, or Fable 2. Its like the old Baldur's Gate games. Not the console Diablo-style games you must have played.

QFT. It's supposedly the spiritual successor to the Baldurs Gate series

This game will trump Fabled 2 on every single level. The only thing I can see people liking better about Fable than this game is that in DA you control a party of characters were Fable is more of a single character oriented game.

This game is going to be of epic length and story arc. It will have Dark Fantasy/Violent storyline. It has a well defined 'ruleset' that is basically biowares version of D&D rules, except that's actually made for video games. You'll start the game by choosing 1 of 3 races for your main character and a base class of Mage, Rogue or Warrior and further into the game you will choose a specialized class like Champion (fighter type), Reaver (Death Knight type), Bloodmage etc. You'll gather a party of characters, have romances available, tons of sidequest etc etc etc.

It's basically going to be the most badass game that's came out in years.

most magazines that have previewed the game, said it was meh

most magazines that have previewed the game, said it was meh

Which previews are you talking about exactly? The only complaints people have had are the graphics and that the game is hard. All reviews have been extremely good.

basically, that the game had potential, but the execution was less than spectacular, and seemed like an average game

basically, that the game had potential, but the execution was less than spectacular, and seemed like an average game

Funny because everyone else (including people who played it at Comic-Con and other places) say different. Though I suppose it depends on the person and the kind of games they like.

That's odd because basically every single other thing I've read says this game is going to be epic. Though I don't exactly trust gaming press anymore and prefer to make my own decisions.

Is my character capable of talking like in Mass Effect or am I a mute like Oblivion and Fallout 3?

That's odd because basically every single other thing I've read says this game is going to be epic. Though I don't exactly trust gaming press anymore and prefer to make my own decisions.

but have they played it? because I think the guys from PC gamer managed to play a test demo

The guys at GiantBomb.com (aka former Gamespot people from the Kane & Lynch fiasco iirc) have a live demonstration of the early portion of the game. In the video, one of the hosts mentions that it's the first game in a long time that he just can't put down, and it even has him thinking about the game when he's not playing it. He goes on to mention that he's about 75% through the game, so I'd say he's played enough to form an opinion.

Ahh bpizzle1 is right on the mark there, that's who I was about to bring up and I'm pretty sure PC Gamer UK and I think Game Informer played it as well. Plus it's by BioWare which means a much lower chance of suckage (suckage -40%?)

Wait what? I think you must be confused because this is what PC Gamer UK said

Dragon Age
94%
Tagline: "A truly astonishing game. Vast, vivid and microscopically detailed. Dragon Age is the RPG of the decade."

John Walker reviewed Dragon Age and again you can tell he has given the game a fair few hours before rushing off to get his words in. "This is the most enormously detailed game world I've experienced, its history stretching back thousands of years, its cultures vivid, beautiful and flawed, the battles enormous, the humour superb. Roleplaying games now have a great deal to live up to."

Here is a link to a Q & A thread that while doesn't address the US review it is the preface for where the review comes from.

Wait what? I think you must be confused because this is what PC Gamer UK said

Here is a link to a Q & A thread that while doesn't address the US review it is the preface for where the review comes from.

I dont live in the UK, i dont know what pc gamer uk said.

Well I'm just going to have to assume that the US PC Gamer is an anomaly because everywhere else says it's awesome and all previous BioWare games have been awesome.

I dont live in the UK, i dont know what pc gamer uk said.

Well you did say all sorts of magazines were giving it meh reviews, so if your an avid reader of pc game reviews then you must know of pc gamer UK.

So I gave you both the UK and US version neither of which say it is meh. Care to show any of these meh reviews?

Well you did say all sorts of magazines were giving it meh reviews, so if your an avid reader of pc game reviews then you must know of pc gamer UK.

So I gave you both the UK and US version neither of which say it is meh. Care to show any of these meh reviews?

Because he's full of shit?

I have a feeling this game will be much more modded than NWN2 was. Maybe even close to Oblivion, but that's going to be hard. My guess is the strength of the modding community will beat NWN1 at it's best days and come close to Oblivion at it's best days.

YouTube has a bunch of nice videos of gameplay and everything else to give you a real good idea of what to expect.

Back