Tekken Vs. Dead or Alive

Joose

Gawd
Which do you prefer?

I've always been a long time Tekken fan but knowing that Tekken is not gonna be coming out on the Xbox 360 anytime, I decided to go buy DOA4 the other day at my local Game Crazy store.

At first look, the game looks beautiful. High definition boobies and some street fighter-esque looking characters look great... but after that it went downhill.

I thought Tekken was a lil too Japanese-ish for me sometimes but DOA4 is all sub-titled. Disappointing to say the least.

2nd gripe is the lack of limb buttons... The sweet thing about Tekken was that each limb (left arm, right arm, right leg, left leg) had its own button that needed pressed. DOA4, i have a "punch" button & a "kick" button. I dont feel like I'm in control of my character not nearly as much.

3rd & final gripe (for both Tekken & DOA).... its 2006 at the moment... i think it is finally time to start adding some blood in a fighting game.

Maybe i need to give DOA a little more time, i dunno... but I will say I hope Tekken does some cross platforming this generation. Heaven forbid they make a lil more money :mad:

Personally I don't like either. I much prefer street fighter type games (I'm a sucker for those big flashy moves :p) anyway unless they could add blood and make it look good (little trickles down the face or whatever) I think it would look very bad. Mortal combat comes to mind.

DOA > Tekken in my book. However I like Soul Calibur better... and more importantly... Killer Instinct reigns king for me.

I play DOA4 everyday on my 360, and am keeping my fingers crossed that Rare comes through with Killer Instinct 3 !!!!

*crosses fingers*

edit. oh and SFII Hyper Fighting comes to XBLA at the end of July I believe.. so :eek: :D

tekken i have always liked most.

the limb control is great. other games just seem like really dumbed down button mashers.

Tekken is definitely my all time fave. Im playing DOA4 on the 360 now of course, but i cant wait for the PS3 and new Tekken game.

For this thread I would have to say Tekken is my favorite.

Whatever happened to the fighting gene anyways? Back at the end of the SNES and early PS1 days there were a number of games. I totally enjoyed them. Companies like Capcom, Namco & SNK all made great fighters. Then there way those rare fighters from Square (Tobal #1&2) and Rare (KI) that were great as well.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 is a favorite of mine.

Tekken is MUCH better than DOA. Why? The entire game doesn't revolve around counters and memorization. DOA is all about string after string after string. The difference between a champion at DOA and a masher is the fact that he/she simply memorized everyone's strings and knows the counter points. It's like virtua Fighter for anal people.
I know that there are some DOA fan on here, but in reality what it comes down to is that the entire serious fighting game community doesn't care for the game.
If you look at the major fighting game events, DOA is always either excluded completely or held outside of the event. If you check up on world champions in games like Virtua fighter, SF2/3, Tekken, Soul Calibur, King of fighters, etc. you'll notice a lot of the same names keep popping up. If you look for them on the DOA champions list...you won't find any. It's because very few serious fighting game players like it. That should tell you something.
There will always been some DOA fans out there that love it, and that's fine...but check some boards for VF, Tekken, SF2 and see what they think of it. You'll pretty much never see any Tekken players bashing SF2, KoF, VF, etc. but you'll find thread after thread of people going off on DOA. Everyone has a game they like more, but DOA's the red-headed step child for almost everyone.

If you want the honest truth, I'd actually say Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a better game than either...but Tekken's not that far behind. It's the only 3D game that's really retailed the fluid gameplay of the 2D games without making everything a string-fest.

SFA3? Hahaha!! Yeah!! My R Mika will crush you!!!

Don't even buy DOA over . I got DOA only because of the art... my kid plays DOA (He's 2).

Lamont said:
SFA3? Hahaha!! Yeah!! My R Mika will crush you!!!

Don't even buy DOA over . I got DOA only because of the art... my kid plays DOA (He's 2).

teh boobAYsz!

lets all pray for Tekken 360.

:(

As much as I dispise Sony right now, I might still have to buy a PS3 just to play Tekken :mad:

Darakian said:
Personally I don't like either. I much prefer street fighter type games (I'm a sucker for those big flashy moves :p) anyway unless they could add blood and make it look good (little trickles down the face or whatever) I think it would look very bad. Mortal combat comes to mind.

and what is wrong with Mortal Kombat? I love the MK series. The more blood the better. Now if only they had the unlimited move list like Tekken and that game would be MONEY!!!

Joose said:
lets all pray for Tekken 360.

:(

As much as I dispise Sony right now, I might still have to buy a PS3 just to play Tekken :mad:

That's what my decision is riding on right now. Of the games coming for it on (or near) the release day, Tekken is the only one that looked worthwhile to me. Right now we don't even know which Tekken it's going to be, though. It could be an all new Tekken 6...or it could also end up being a remake of Dark Resurrection, too (a la Tekken Tag for the PS2). Everything they showed implied a 6th game, but nothing in the footage really reflected that.
Unless we get some new footage or screens in the next 2-3 months, I'd assume this isn't coming all that soon.

Tekken is far superior to Dead or Alive... The fighting mechanics in DOA are so flawed that I can't even play the game for more then 30mins without getting bored of how repetitious it is.

But I gotta say, Virtua Fighter 5 is currently my favorite 3D fighter, I love Tekken 5 but Virtua Fighter is so perfected that its hard to top.

The DOA series is horrible. Big boobied women does not make a game good. The fighting is decent but gets boring fast. Like someone else said, much of it revolves on memorizing counters.

I've only played Tekken at my friends house a few times. I liked it.

I decided to buy DOA4 without ever playing a previous DOA game. I want my $60 back.

My favorite fighting game is KI, rumors are KI3 is in the works. w00t!

True...
in tekken you have more control over your actions, and in my opinion the playability is straight...

Although I still prefer Street fighter alpha's style, or even marvel vs. capcom

Jason711 said:
pulling off combos in tekken can be an absolute bitch, aswell.

Which ones are you talking about? Most of Tekken's combos are juggles using single hits to keep someone bounching. I guess they're only hard if you're trying to juggle with a string or trying to get something really wacky.
I can do most of the "standard" combos in the Tekken games, but those with Kazuya, Armork King, Jin, etc. that involve 3 uppercuts I think I've only been able to do once or twice. Those require an insane level of timing.
The main thing to remember about Tekken is that you really should never be doing any strings that are more than 2-3 hits. Anything over a few hits will either leave you blockstunned, open you up to a parry, or even allow someone to insert a counter. Tekken's all about poking with single moves.

Domingo said:
Which ones are you talking about? Most of Tekken's combos are juggles using single hits to keep someone bounching. I guess they're only hard if you're trying to juggle with a string or trying to get something really wacky.
I can do most of the "standard" combos in the Tekken games, but those with Kazuya, Armork King, Jin, etc. that involve 3 uppercuts I think I've only been able to do once or twice. Those require an insane level of timing.
The main thing to remember about Tekken is that you really should never be doing any strings that are more than 2-3 hits. Anything over a few hits will either leave you blockstunned, open you up to a parry, or even allow someone to insert a counter. Tekken's all about poking with single moves.

yeah.. those long juggling combos. they make me wanna tear apart the controller.

The only fighting game I liked was SF2.

I have played many fighting games and I don't like them as much as SF2. If Tekken hasn't changed much since the PS1, I'd play that over DOA. I have had an Xbox and a 360 and no PS2 so I have not played any recent version of Tekken. DOA is ok but I only know how to play two characters and the rest I just button mash.

Primal Rage is the best fighting game ever followed closely by the original mortal combat!

FUN!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_Rage

1010113784-00.jpg

Tekken by far.

I got into Virtual Fighter for awhile, but with the lack of any competition in my area I didn't keep it up for long. Shame, because I feel it's the superior fighter.

I hope to see Tekken DR on the PS2. Steve is just too brutal in stock Tekken 5.

Dachink said:
Tekken, even though it has balancement issues

It's a fighting game, sadly they all do :)
Tekken 5 wasn't too bad, though. Short of some wack-ass Roger and Feng sequences, at least we haven't had the same 2 characters winning every tournament.
I miss the SF2 Turbo days where every character could be a holy terror in the right hands.

I prefer the Dead or Alive series. Fighting games are pretty shallow for single player gaming in general anyway. It's a good game with the best graphics you'll ever find right now in a fighting game. Good for when you have friends over. The boobies are nice too.

Domingo said:
Tekken is MUCH better than DOA. Why? The entire game doesn't revolve around counters and memorization. DOA is all about string after string after string. The difference between a champion at DOA and a masher is the fact that he/she simply memorized everyone's strings and knows the counter points. It's like virtua Fighter for anal people.
I know that there are some DOA fan on here, but in reality what it comes down to is that the entire serious fighting game community doesn't care for the game.
If you look at the major fighting game events, DOA is always either excluded completely or held outside of the event. If you check up on world champions in games like Virtua fighter, SF2/3, Tekken, Soul Calibur, King of fighters, etc. you'll notice a lot of the same names keep popping up. If you look for them on the DOA champions list...you won't find any. It's because very few serious fighting game players like it. That should tell you something.
There will always been some DOA fans out there that love it, and that's fine...but check some boards for VF, Tekken, SF2 and see what they think of it. You'll pretty much never see any Tekken players bashing SF2, KoF, VF, etc. but you'll find thread after thread of people going off on DOA. Everyone has a game they like more, but DOA's the red-headed step child for almost everyone.

If you want the honest truth, I'd actually say Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a better game than either...but Tekken's not that far behind. It's the only 3D game that's really retailed the fluid gameplay of the 2D games without making everything a string-fest.

so you like a juggle fest in tekken. hit them once then just juggle them to there dead where is the fun in that? DOA has way more depth then tekeen.

Domingo said:
It's a fighting game, sadly they all do :)
Tekken 5 wasn't too bad, though. Short of some wack-ass Roger and Feng sequences, at least we haven't had the same 2 characters winning every tournament.
I miss the SF2 Turbo days where every character could be a holy terror in the right hands.

The only SF game where everybody actually stands a chance at winning is SF Alpha 3.

Since you have an X-Box, get the best 2D fighter: 3rd Strike.

Filter said:
so you like a juggle fest in tekken. hit them once then just juggle them to there dead where is the fun in that? DOA has way more depth then tekeen.

You can easily counter being juggled in Tekken 5, and any good Tekken player knows how to avoid them aswell. DOA is a button smashers dream... there is no skill required other then memerizing patterns. Everyone who plays the game uses each character the same, theres no depth you can't take Kasumi and player her different from someone else...

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
The only SF game where everybody actually stands a chance at winning is SF Alpha 3.

Normal SSF2 Turbo was pretty balanced. T. Hawk was the only character that was really handicapped, and Akuma was barred from all forms of competition. Beyond those two (and possibly Cammy), the rest of the cast was all on par with one another.

There is more to DOA4 than button mashing and if anything it is a better multiplayer game IMO than Tekken. There is nothing worse than playing a beat em up that you are so good at that you beat everyone every single time, because the people you are fighting get pissed off and refuse to play the game again. Atleast with DOA4 the button masher always stands a (slim) chance ;). I am not passing observation on which is 'technically' better, just passing opinion on which I prefer to play when I have mates around.

If you want a laugh when your mates come around, then DOA FTW.

If you have no friends and want a beat em up that can be argued to have more depth, then you could choose Tekken :p

Personally, I like DOA a lot more. Tekken is too f-ing complicated. It is dominated by people who spend hours a day only playing Tekken. DOA anyone can pick up some basics and hold their own in a couple hours.

EDIT:

And yes, there is a lot more to DOA than button mashing, the combos just make more sense in it.

Really, they are way too different.. you almost cannot compare them.

DOA - For people who want to rent a game and have some fun with friends. In DOA you can have a lot of fun not really knowing how to play the game. Mashing might even get a few strings out to do some damage.

Tekken - For people who want to play competitvely for a long amount of time (years). This game is so underrated because it is not masher friendly whatsoever. Your not gonna do anything flashy while mashing buttons. Outside of ten strings, this game is not newb friendly.

also you may think "well DOA has online play and tekken doesnt" ps2 has the crappiest setup for online play and ps3 isnt out yet to back tekken up much. I've played tekken competitively for years and ive always wanted to have online play for it. But the truth is, I could not imagine it having online play because every single frame in tekken counts. One single slight lag can turn a match around and I dont feel that laggy tekken would be fun at all.

some people say capcom games are better but I leave that alone. its gotta be pretty damn hard to beat the originals I mean come on. We grew up playing street fighters. BUT!! whats a good 3D fighting game from capcom? because 2d and 3d are far too different to say that one is better then the other.

Back