Tekken 8

LittleBuddy

Limp Gawd
1699969873445.png

Story & Gameplay Reveal Trailer

32 Fighters at Launch (Full list and more information at https://tekken.com/fighters)​

GIF_32-Fighters-for-a-new-Generation.gif

New Fighters to Tekken: Azucena, Victor, Reina

Tekken 8 Official Videos and Fighter Reveals: https://tekken.com/media
Playlist of all fighter reveals (release order)

View: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM9ezY7m3kEMIGatPiIPfpMgpD2UDeC-j

System Requirements

Last edited:
$69.99 *plus tax! watch...
at least they bringing Jack back.
You forgot they will have a DLC character immediate at launch and if you want the Season 1 pass it will be an additional $20.

But I put so much time into Tekken games I don't mind paying for it. It's literally the game I play between other games consistently. Even right now I haven't put much time into RE4 because I'm playing so much Tekken 7.

I'm curious how this will turn out. I was a huge Tekken fan up through Dark Resurrection, but I feel like the game got too bloated. Seemingly every move for every character now has a canned follow-up or follow-ups. It's just too much to digest and play casually anymore, and it's one reason there are so few Tekken pros playing other games and vice versa. They've also continued to nerf grabs into the ground, which has made risk averse players even more of a dominant force in T7. Everything is burst and momentum based.
So far they've shown a limited amount of content, so it's tough to tell if the gigantic movelists will be pushed forward. Yet it's tough to imagine them paring back since T8 is still very much an evolutionary step. In King's reveal, every grab they showed was either an air grab or an inescapable follow-up, which really scares me. I have a feeling typical ground grabs still suck.

I'm curious how this will turn out. I was a huge Tekken fan up through Dark Resurrection, but I feel like the game got too bloated. Seemingly every move for every character now has a canned follow-up or follow-ups. It's just too much to digest and play casually anymore, and it's one reason there are so few Tekken pros playing other games and vice versa. They've also continued to nerf grabs into the ground, which has made risk averse players even more of a dominant force in T7. Everything is burst and momentum based.
So far they've shown a limited amount of content, so it's tough to tell if the gigantic movelists will be pushed forward. Yet it's tough to imagine them paring back since T8 is still very much an evolutionary step. In King's reveal, every grab they showed was either an air grab or an inescapable follow-up, which really scares me. I have a feeling typical ground grabs still suck.

If you have time check out this video. The game sounds more beginner/casual friendly and overall better than Tekken 7. Not going to list everything he talked about, but I got the impression long combo string and follow ups have been nerfed, low parries are nerfed. He says the heat system is awesome. KBD will be less overpowered if someone doesn't know how to do it since the game is more aggressive.

You forgot they will have a DLC character immediate at launch and if you want the Season 1 pass it will be an additional $20.

But I put so much time into Tekken games I don't mind paying for it. It's literally the game I play between other games consistently. Even right now I haven't put much time into RE4 because I'm playing so much Tekken 7.
Season passes for Tekken 7 were $25, and there were four of them.

The gameplay footage is pretty interesting. It's really only showing a handful of techniques for each character. I can't tell if that's them showcasing particular moves or if they really have pared things back. Then again, I'm still not sure if that's really what I want, either. I like the graphics and I appreciate that King is just blowing through weak attacks like they don't exist, so they'll get my money.

The gameplay footage is pretty interesting. It's really only showing a handful of techniques for each character. I can't tell if that's them showcasing particular moves or if they really have pared things back. Then again, I'm still not sure if that's really what I want, either. I like the graphics and I appreciate that King is just blowing through weak attacks like they don't exist, so they'll get my money.
People whom recently played a private prevuew have said that these character videos are basucally just a few easy to follow moves and some stuff which looks cool. Not necessarily full combos or what an actual play style might look like.
Additionaly, characters have a lot more moves than what the videos show. Which Tekken fans should know.

People whom recently played a private prevuew have said that these character videos are basucally just a few easy to follow moves and some stuff which looks cool. Not necessarily full combos or what an actual play style might look like.
Additionaly, characters have a lot more moves than what the videos show. Which Tekken fans should know.

I'd assume there are way more moves, but one of their supposed goals (at least per their team when they started) was to dial Tekken back and make it more approachable. That could probably mean a lot of things, but to me it would entail paring back the incredibly bloated movelists that started with 6 and TTT2.

I'd assume there are way more moves, but one of their supposed goals (at least per their team when they started) was to dial Tekken back and make it more approachable. That could probably mean a lot of things, but to me it would entail paring back the incredibly bloated movelists that started with 6 and TTT2.
Their main change to the "feel" of Tekken, is to make it more aggressive and to give more built-in opportunities to cause mixups. They are de-emphasizing the "footsy" aspect and also de-incentivizing more defensive, careful styles.
Move-lists still sound to be large. However, this game is another opportunity to refine them and also to add/swap in new stuff, which makes characters more useful and also more unique.

Their main change to the "feel" of Tekken, is to make it more aggressive and to give more built-in opportunities to cause mixups. They are de-emphasizing the "footsy" aspect and also de-incentivizing more defensive, careful styles.
Move-lists still sound to be large. However, this game is another opportunity to refine them and also to add/swap in new stuff, which makes characters more useful and also more unique.

The easiest way for them to do that is to get rid of the "take the low" and mentality that has developed over the last few titles. Making throws free to break has compounded that. At high levels Tekken has become battle of timing your best 2-3 mid-level moves vs. your opponent's. At least outside of hellsweep characters. Or in a few cases (like Arslan) playing as safe is possible and mid-poking people to death. At non-pro levels it'll forever be a battle of using obscure sequences with different mids and lows that you'll never see twice. Whenever the devs start talking about new players, they mention all of these techniques that allow people to do combos easier. In reality, new players need tools that keep them from getting mashed out by high/low/mid/low/high sequences that can be repeated and alternated endlessly. It looks like their answer to that = more armored moves. I'd like to see grabs and more viable lows instead. Well, that and finally overhauling the ground game. I look at other fighting games, and they make wholesale changes to how things work with each major sequel. With Tekken, they just keep piling stuff on top of what they have. It's getting to be like "the car built by Homer."

Well, they lost me, then. I liked Tekken because the more deliberate, defensive style suited my playstyle more than any other fighting game on the market.

Looks like Tekken to me? Not sure what's changed that would give you a different opinion visually. Gameplay? Sure, it's been a massive game ever since 5. Visually, it just looks like a better version of the same 'ol thing to me.

Looks like Tekken to me? Not sure what's changed that would give you a different opinion visually. Gameplay? Sure, it's been a massive game ever since 5. Visually, it just looks like a better version of the same 'ol thing to me.
Agreed. I started with Tekken 3. And that game was known for the flashy light splashes and fireworks-like effects on hits, slams, etc.

Agreed. I started with Tekken 3. And that game was known for the flashy light splashes and fireworks-like effects on hits, slams, etc.

Funny thing, I actually bought Tekken 1 for the PS1 and returned it after 2 days. The manual only listed a handful of moves for each character and the notations were akin to Street Fighter (F, D, D/F + punch) and I couldn't get anything to work. I figured it was a trash game like so many other fighting games were back then. I would later discover that each character had like 30 additional moves and that the motions were tied to movements rather than quick inputs. That was when my college roommate bought Tekken 2 and a fancy strategy guide later, though.

I played 2 casually, but Tekken 3 is when the series really came into its own. I still consider T3 and (especially) Tag to be among the best fighting games ever. Tag is the era when I was a borderline tournament player, although very much a fringe one.
4 kinda sucked, but 5 and Dark Resurrection were back to form. Everything since has felt out of hand to me, though. That's when the movelists exploded with every move being a multi-part. Plus the new characters started to feel like they belonged in Dead or Alive instead. Still, I think all the Tekken games look and play wonderfully. The mechanics still (mostly) work for me, there's just too much memorization and too little gravity now.

I bet they do some kind of public access preview. Harada isn't about to let the Street Fighter team one-up him. I'm sure I'll end up buying the game (like I have with all the others), but it'll be nice to give it a trial run to see if it runs well on PC.

I used to be a big Tekken fan 25 years ago. But after looking at all character reveal videos, it's basically just different skin, similar moves. Hit the enemy with fists and legs and connect combos. Different characters don't really change the gameplay.
Where is Yoshimitsu? Where's Eddy? Those were characters with different gameplay. Instead ALL of the characters so far revealed have the same gameplay. This is why I prefer Mortal Kombat and to some extent Street Fighter. Every character does something unique.

I used to be a big Tekken fan 25 years ago. But after looking at all character reveal videos, it's basically just different skin, similar moves. Hit the enemy with fists and legs and connect combos. Different characters don't really change the gameplay.
Where is Yoshimitsu? Where's Eddy? Those were characters with different gameplay. Instead ALL of the characters so far revealed have the same gameplay. This is why I prefer Mortal Kombat and to some extent Street Fighter. Every character does something unique.

Guaranteed, Yoshi and Eddie (or at least Christie) will be coming to Tekken 8 at some point. This is just a beta test and it's a brand new game. With modern fighting games, they tend to trickle new characters out over the lifespan of the game. That includes returning characters. Capcom and Neversoft do the same thing.

I'm not a huge fan of what Tekken has become (piling new mechanics on top of an older game), but the characters are all pretty unique. I mean, it's not like playing Paul, King, Hwoarang, and Ling = similar at all. There are commonalities for everyone, but they're pretty much nothing alike. Some of the newer characters are getting a little thin, though. I mean...Claudio, Shaheen, and Katarina are just kinda punching and kicking sans any real differentiation. At a certain point, that's just kinda what happens with a huge roster, though. It's not like MK doesn't have a pile of clones and there aren't a dozen Ryu/Ken knock offs in Street Fighter.

I wouldn't say that any fighters have the same gameplay. There are technically around 25-30 fighting styles in the game, but fighters who share fighting styles are played differently like Jin (Karate) and Lidia (Karate), the two fighters are completely different in terms of gameplay. Same goes for other fighters who share the same fighting style like the Mishimas (Karate) or King II/Armor King (Wrestling).

Then there's Gigas and Marduk, who are mildly similar and Gigas was supposed to be Marduks replacement, but ended up being an extremely boring fighter compared to Marduk. They ended up bringing Marduk back in Tekken 7. I don't expect Gigas to ever return to Tekken and I hope I'm not wrong, it feels like a complete waste of a roster slot.

The closest fighters in mainline Tekken (non-Tag) in terms of gameplay would be Bruce (Muay Thai) and Josie (Yaw-Yan), Josie shares 80% of Bruces moves but they haven't appeared in the same game as each other. King II and Armor King share a few moves as well. The Mishimas share some similar looking moves but the utility of the moves is completely different.

Raven and Azucena were announced at EVO today. Azucena is a new fighter that looks to be based around evasive moves (from a stance). Azucena has Bruce's FF2 and Josie's DB4, F3, UF34, DB2 (though it's a high instead of mid but tracks to the right). Not too familiar with Lucky Chloe but I do recognize some of her attacks in the trailer. Azucena looks fun to play IMO. I'm guessing she will be the replacement for Josie, Lucky Chloe and likely Katarina as well.

Last edited:
Azucena seems pretty neat. They're kinda running out of unique fighting styles that don't involve magic or robotics, so I appreciate the effort with her. She seems a little like Miguel, Steve, and Nina with a dash of Thai boxing, but at least she isn't a clone.

Looking forward to giving this a shot. I'm sure I'll take a beating from all the new strings that I have zero idea how to stop, but I still have some decent muscle memory with King. If nothing else, I know how to land the giant swing in a wide variety of scenarios. Hopefully the grab escapes aren't so automatic in this one...

Looking forward to giving this a shot. I'm sure I'll take a beating from all the new strings that I have zero idea how to stop, but I still have some decent muscle memory with King. If nothing else, I know how to land the giant swing in a wide variety of scenarios. Hopefully the grab escapes aren't so automatic in this one...
King is OP in Tekken 8 unless he was nerfed since CNT. He can replenish his heat gauge, has a death combo and unbreakable throws lol.

Back