Tekken 7 Releases Worldwide

monkeymagick

[H]News
Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc has unleashed Tekken 7 onto the world. Running on Epic's Unreal Engine 4, the game runs at a blistering 60fps. With a roster of over 30 characters, returning characters include Hiehachi Kazuma, Paul Phoenix, and many more.
New fighters entering the battle are Katarina Alves, Josie Rizal, and Gigas plus some more additional brawlers. Joining the fray is Street Fighter's very own Akuma featuring his special moveset from Ultra Street Fighter IV. The game is available now on PS4, Xboxone, and Steam.

If you need to catch up with the back story, the Tekken website has made a 8-bit video for the series.

TEKKEN 7 was developed at BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.’s Tokyo, Japan studio under the leadership of franchise director, Katsuhiro Harada. Powered by Unreal Engine 4, TEKKEN 7 sets new standards in graphics quality for the series and the fighting game genre, featuring highly detailed characters, dynamic animations, and unique environments.

Yeah, it released yesterday afternoon. I am very happy that Harada decided to develop primarily on PC hardware now for the series starting with Tekken 7 (japan arcade). The netcode is great and so far it is a very solid launch. I preordered it with the season pass (deluxe) and am crossing my fingers Lei Wulong is reintroduced. Judging from the character select screen and the customize character screens, anywhere from 6 to 12 characters will be added over time.

My preorder isn't shipping till Monday but I'm looking forward to it. I never realized they got Akuma in there. That's a nice treat.

My preorder isn't shipping till Monday but I'm looking forward to it. I never realized they got Akuma in there. That's a nice treat.
Sorry to hear. Go digital next time! Steam, Sony Store, Amazon, Gamestop (shudder) all had digital preorder. Yeah Akuma is a vestige from their first attempt at Tekken X Street Fighter. The project was shelved for a later time.

Looks freakin wicked. I wish I didn't have a huge backlog of recent purchases :(

Personally I've always preferred Soul Calibur over any other of these types of fighting games.
You do realize NAMCO also makes Soul Edge/Calibur series which runs on the same hardware as Tekken right? Although different development teams, they are closely involved. Soul Calibur lost relevance after Dreamcast and maybe PlayStation 2 series (2,3) if you want to be generous. Anyway, cool opinion bro.

You do realize NAMCO also makes Soul Edge/Calibur series which runs on the same hardware as Tekken right? Although different development teams, they are closely involved. Soul Calibur lost relevance after Dreamcast and maybe PlayStation 2 series (2,3) if you want to be generous. Anyway, cool opinion bro.
Yep I know that, but there's something about the feel of Tekken I never liked. To me the feel of the controls, art direction, pacing, etc., were all better in Soul Calibur. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc. are okay, but overall in the fighting genre I just like Soul Calibur the best. *shrug*

Really love how capcom has made akuma such a famous and flexibe character.

Yep I know that, but there's something about the feel of Tekken I never liked. To me the feel of the controls, art direction, pacing, etc., were all better in Soul Calibur. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc. are okay, but overall in the fighting genre I just like Soul Calibur the best. *shrug*
The legend will never die!

Really love how capcom has made akuma such a famous and flexibe character.
Yes, he is a very technical character; there is a reason they show him facing off with Heihachi. Though, this time around Capcom did not design Akuma. Maybe they had some input and requests? ;)

Personally I've always preferred Soul Calibur over any other of these types of fighting games.
Soul Calibur was fun in it's time , but this new Tekken is an eye candy blast. Pack a controller.

Soul Calibur was fun in it's time , but this new Tekken is an eye candy blast. Pack a controller.
No dude, mechanical keyboard is best!

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01GVOFIAA

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Officially-Licensed-Microsoft/dp/B01MSEPQ55

Both pads support X-Input.

The Sony version has rapid fire/turbo, the option to emulate the right stick if needed and an alternate preset button mapping switch (swapping trigger buttons).

The Xbox version allows manual reassignment of all buttons (no rapid fire/turbo) and does not have right stick emulation.

Edit: Steam fully supports Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 controller! http://store.steampowered.com/news/26185/

If you are really serious, get a Korean stick. http://www.etokki.com/Omni-Korean-Edition

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm an ol'skool fighter. I go to evo every other year if time permits. I play both capcom and namco games and while SF has been changing; the tekken series stays the same. I started on Tekken 1 and the only real difference between past tekken games has been the introduction of the wall mechanics instead of open endless arena and the ground bounce combo system. Tekken 7 on pc is fantastic, but... its more of the same but with some new effects and weird looney costume customizations. Other than that, the music has become GOD awful with all that dubstep going WAH WAH WAH WUB WUB WUB.

Hoping the super cop himself returns, even though Harada said his pick rate was low. Come on... they put in Kuma / Panda!? over Jackie Chan?

Soul calibur lost its luster after SC2. SC3 was a unbalanced bug fest, SC4 was a 3 move spam fest. Hoping the series makes a comeback, but it'll be a while.

I'm an ol'skool fighter. I go to evo every other year if time permits. I play both capcom and namco games and while SF has been changing; the tekken series stays the same. I started on Tekken 1 and the only real difference between past tekken games has been the introduction of the wall mechanics instead of open endless arena and the ground bounce combo system. Tekken 7 on pc is fantastic, but... its more of the same but with some new effects and weird looney costume customizations. Other than that, the music has become GOD awful with all that dubstep going WAH WAH WAH WUB WUB WUB.

Hoping the super cop himself returns, even though Harada said his pick rate was low. Come on... they put in Kuma / Panda!? over Jackie Chan?

Soul calibur lost its luster after SC2. SC3 was a unbalanced bug fest, SC4 was a 3 move spam fest. Hoping the series makes a comeback, but it'll be a while.
Harada is notorious for joking and/or trolling people. Keep that in mind when he talks about any character. I predict anywhere from 6 to 12 characters being added over time (look at the character select and customize character select screens). I think certain characters are on hold because of the development cycle they go through.

Tekken 1, 2, 3, Tag.
Tekken 4, 5, 6, Tag 2.
Tekken 7.

They are back to square one in the cycle. I think the team has been focused the new engine, cinematic art direction, mechanics, fighting system, core characters, new characters and balancing. The Japan arcade version was basically a big beta test. Once the core/new characters are set in stone they can focus on working others into the balance. Development for this type of fighting game must be a total chore but I am sure they have the process down by now. Lei Wulong (my favorite too) is certainly a complex character to fit into the puzzle.

More has changed than you think. They got rid of that dreaded rebounce mechanic for one.

Yes, SF has been changing but not for the better. Yes, turn the music off lol. Luckily, you can set your own soundtrack with Winamp!

I Haven't been this excited with Tekken since Tekken 5. I can't wait until Tekken X Street Fighter!

Reactions: blkt
like this
They are back to square one in the cycle. I think the team has been focused the new engine, cinematic art direction, mechanics, fighting system, core characters, new characters and balancing. The Japan arcade version was basically a big beta test. Once the core/new characters are set in stone they can focus on working others into the balance. Development for this type of fighting game must be a total chore but I am sure they have the process down by now. Lei Wulong (my favorite too) is certainly a complex character to fit into the puzzle.

More has changed than you think. They got rid of that dreaded rebounce mechanic for one.

Yes, SF has been changing but not for the better. Yes, turn the music off lol. Luckily, you can set your own soundtrack with Winamp!

The switch to unreal engine is definitely new and I understand it takes a while to pick up. I used the engine a while back and I remember that shit was hard to grasp with kismet. So I'm not knocking them there. I think SF is on the right path. My fav is still 3rd strike and it took them 3 games to perfect it. Even with the alpha series, it took 3. And each game was different while staying with a familiar core.

As for the rebounce mechanic, thank god the removed that crap... er... lessened it.

The switch to unreal engine is definitely new and I understand it takes a while to pick up. I used the engine a while back and I remember that shit was hard to grasp with kismet. So I'm not knocking them there. I think SF is on the right path. My fav is still 3rd strike and it took them 3 games to perfect it. Even with the alpha series, it took 3. And each game was different while staying with a familiar core.

As for the rebounce mechanic, thank god the removed that crap... er... lessened it.
If SF is on the right path, why is your favorite SF3 and Zero/Alpha series? ;) I like those as well, especially Alpha 2. SF2 is still played today in tournaments, which says a lot. When it comes to the 3D Street Fighters, honestly, I'd rather play the Arika EX series over 4 (though I do have respect for it, not my cup of tea) and especially 5.

As for rebounce/bound, yeah it was removed but replaced with a kirimomi/tailspin/spin/screw mechanic which again allows for extension of combos. Combo resets (the concept of breaking the combo on purpose with a move so the opponent isn't pushed far away) will always be in the game, but now at least kirimomi doesn't provide extensions on a wall combo. Wall, balcony and floor breaks are a different story.

Keep in mind this game was tested in Japan for 2 years so they had plenty of time to adjust things.

Back