Tekken 7 Passes Three Million Sales Milestone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Some say interest in the fighting-game genre is on the decline, but the Tekken franchise’s latest numbers suggest otherwise: according to director Katsuhiro Harada, the seventh entry has managed to sell over 3 million copies, and total franchise sales are at 47 million. It will be interesting to see how the numbers for the recently launched Soul Calibur VI compare, as the counterpart was rumored to be on “shaky ground” with Bandai Namco.

This impressive number brings franchise sales (since the 1995 home release of the original Tekken) to some 47 million copies worldwide, roughly the same amount of costumes Yoshimitsu has stacked in his wardrobe. To celebrate the milestone, Harada released a piece of "celebration artwork" featuring members of the Tekken 7 roster living it up at a swish shindig. Even Kazumi's tiger got an invite.

I use to love me some Tekken 3 back in the day but ever since the death of the arcade my interest in fighting games has disappeared. I've tried to get into online fighting games like MK9 & 10 but it never felt the same.

I use to love me some Tekken 3 back in the day but ever since the death of the arcade my interest in fighting games has disappeared. I've tried to get into online fighting games like MK9 & 10 but it never felt the same.

Man, there used be lines I would wait in to play Tekken at the arcade. Those were the days. Tekken was also pretty fun on the PS1. But like you, I've lost interest in fighting games through the years.

I'm glad that it turned out so well. Capcom would learn at lot from Namco's approach considering how polished and fully featured the game was when it shipped.
That said, I don't know if I actually like Tekken 7. The last few games have felt too fast and spammy for my tastes. It's almost like they tried to pull in the Dead or Alive audience with the abundance of speed rush sequences with high/low enders. Once someone gets hit, the combos now go on forever. 2 mix-ups is death for like 1/2 the cast. I prefer the more slightly more strategic and slower pacing from the TTT and even the Tekken 5 era.

I really don't understand the allure of this game when there are so many other options that seem better in the same genre.

This game actually turned out really well. It's pretty much what I would call a "flawless Tekken game". That said, I've found that these days, I just am not that into Tekken as a whole. I love the limb-based fighting system, but I don't like the strung-out combo style anymore all that much.

I've REALLY been enjoying Soul Calibur VI. I have a few minor complaints with it, but overall they did an excellent job with it. I'll post more on that in the SCVI thread when I get a minute.

It doesn't surprise me that Tekken sold so well. They deserve it. I just not into the series so much now. I play it once in a while, but I prefer Street Fighter 5, Dead or Alive 5, or now Soul Calibur 6.

The main thing that I miss about playing Tekken from back in the day with a buddy of mine.....bowling.

I really don't understand the allure of this game when there are so many other options that seem better in the same genre.

For 3D fighters I don't know of any. I guess Soul Calibur 6 might end up being the better of the two, but it probably isn't right this instant. Right now we're in the middle of a 2D fighter renaissance, but the 3D side of things is pretty much just the two Namco franchises unless you count For Honor as a fighting game. Virtua Fighter is straight up dead and a new Dead or Alive isn't due for at least 5-6 months assuming it isn't delayed. VF never really found legs outside of Japan and DoA players are niche at most.

I think DoA players (well, at least in my own limited existence :D ) might be more on the playing with friends in the living room sorta crowd. I know a ton of people that play it, but none of us play online. We play together when we happen to get together. That's actually how most fighting games are for me though. I know the online experience is important to a lot of people, and that's how many fighting games are judged these days. IMO though, the only TRUE fighting experience is head to head on the same hardware in the same room either in a shit-talking competitive sort of way, or a break out the cocktails or whiskey and have a casual bout with your buddies. The latter is the best, because even the usually non-game-playing ladies like to join in after a few drinks. Good stuff.

This game actually turned out really well. It's pretty much what I would call a "flawless Tekken game". That said, I've found that these days, I just am not that into Tekken as a whole. I love the limb-based fighting system, but I don't like the strung-out combo style anymore all that much.

I've REALLY been enjoying Soul Calibur VI. I have a few minor complaints with it, but overall they did an excellent job with it. I'll post more on that in the SCVI thread when I get a minute.

It doesn't surprise me that Tekken sold so well. They deserve it. I just not into the series so much now. I play it once in a while, but I prefer Street Fighter 5, Dead or Alive 5, or now Soul Calibur 6.

I'll have to see what that is later. Twitter's blocked here.

Back