Tekken 6 or Soul Calibur 4

• Tekken 6

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Sould Calibur IV

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

boxterduke

Gawd
Simple question, I need to buy a fighter game and wondering between these two.
I'm not a hardcore fighter game player, and back in the day when I had xbox I used to play DOA 3. So I want the one that is close to DOA 3

This is for PS3 btw.
Thanks for the help.

I know I'll probably get torn apart.. but, in comparison to Tekken 6, Soul Caliber is a serious button masher. And since both are kind of that way, SC just takes the cake for mashyness.

I dont suppose Tekken 6 has a character editor does it? I have SC and want to pick up Tekken 6 since I loved both fighters back in the day. I will say like inotocracy said above that Tekken takes a bit more control I think dealing that each button is controlling each appendage.

I always think, why do people mash in fighting games? you don't mash in anything else except for like track and field and test your might in MK.

If your going to mash, dont buy tekken period.

------------------------------------------------

edit:
It just came to me, remember when you were like 4-5 years old and you had your G.I. Joes or transformers out and you tried to move them around and made like forts for them, you took the time to appreciate and have fun with them. Then some dumbshit comes along with his toys and he wants to smash the crap out of your toy with his. He doesnt lift the leg up for a kick or swing the figure around for a punch.

I guess thats like a form of mashing.

Last edited:
I know I'll probably get torn apart.. but, in comparison to Tekken 6, Soul Caliber is a serious button masher. And since both are kind of that way, SC just takes the cake for mashyness.

Any fighter can be a masher. SC plays nothing like Tekken. The combos are WAY different

SC4 is the superior game. You will have more fun with it. I love tekken, but I have already sold 6. Just disappointing all around.

Been playing 4 since it released.

I haven't played Tekken 6 yet but SC4 is really good.

Tekken 6 reviews indicate sucky, terrible online multiplayer code, along with a bunch of extra juggling thrown into the old combos for no good reason. I might pick it up when it gets super cheap. In contast, SC4 was totally worth the $50 or so I paid for it.

I haven't played Tekken 6 yet but SC4 is really good.

Tekken 6 reviews indicate sucky, terrible online multiplayer code, along with a bunch of extra juggling thrown into the old combos for no good reason. I might pick it up when it gets super cheap. In contast, SC4 was totally worth the $50 or so I paid for it.

man you are out of the loop, tekken 6 was updated a few weeks ago and the lag is excellent. it's the best 3d fighting online experience, I think it's better than SC's network code.

SC4 implemented a useless armor system, wtf is that? the bound system in tekken is actually pretty useful, it now allows a lot of characters to launch, carry the character across the stage and get them against the wall. it also limits the damage you can do off of a low parry, which was complete bs in the past. Not everyone could get good low parry damage, it's balancing things out, but casual players wont see these things.

I've owned and beaten both games, played both online, beaten both stories, etc. For a "non-HC gamer" I think you'll enjoy SC IV more. Overall the moves are simpler, the game plays well, etc. As a total game experience though I enjoyed Tekken over SC IV.

Tekken 6 seriously takes some practice to get decent (and ungodly amounts of time to get "great") but I find it much more enjoyable. When it first was released it was plagued with problems, it is much better now. Lag isn't bad at all, there's a ton of characters (like...40?) to use that are all well balanced, and if you want to just mash buttons Christie and Eddy are there at your beck and call.

You can't go wrong with either really. For me personally Tekken 6 is the better game. I picked up Soul Calibur IV for...$15 I think it was on a sale, you'll find it pretty cheap. Tekken is around $35 on Amazon.

While Soul Calubur is all sorts of cool, it pales in comparison to the awesomeness of Tekken.

How experienced are you with either series?
Tekken 6 has a great engine behind it, however visually it's a mess. It actually looks worse than the upscaled Dark Resurrection game. It also puts way too much focus on the horrid beat 'em up portion of the game instead of the actual fighting. Still, as a fighting game it's not bad at all.
SC looks a lot better and is at least geared more as a fighting game. However to me SC has always been a little heavy on memorization. The whole game revolves around strings and having 20 moves that look really similar, but you have to defend differently. It's like Tekken with nothing but Nina and Asuka.

One thing you might consider is SF4 instead of either. The one advantage it'll have over those is that it's easier to play casually. To play Tekken or SC and actually do well - you're going to have to spend boatloads of time memorizing how to block different moves...literally thousands of them. If you haven't played either in a while, that's pretty daunting. If you don't, someone can literally string you to death over and over...or even just implement a simple mix-up of 3 patterns. SF comes down to timing far more than memorization.

As far as netcode is concerned, Tekken 6 did get fixed recently, though. Don't let that affect your decision. That said, there aren't as many people playing online as you might think. SC's going to have even fewer.

+1 to the few people online. Still, I've never struggled to find someone to fight on T6.

Back