Teh "up" button in Vista

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
Since there is no "up" button, what is teh keyboard shortcut for up

I installed teh VISTA customization Pack 4.0 on my lappy which has XP on it, nice but I lost the UP button just like in Vista :(

i think i know what you mean... same issue here... by the up button you are refering to the button with the green arrow right next to the forward and back buttons in xp?

Yeah, I also noticed it was gone... hopefully they add it by the release date!

OP: It's "the" not "teh". Use english please.

It's not gone. I think their default settings just hide it. When I didn't have it, I just right clicked on toolbar, click "customize" and added the "Up" button. Done...

The alt+ forward and back arrow keys work, as do multi button mouses (Copperhead side buttons are assigned forward and back; works fine)

From the screenshots I've seen, can't you just click further back along the breadcrumb trail?

The Back and Forward buttons just let you cycle through all the folders you've gone through in order.

The up button (Its full name is "Up a Level"), will move you backwords through the folder tree like so:
Up_a_Level.png

Clicking the Up Button from "C:\Program Files\" will take you to "C:\", again will take you up to "My Computer" and once more will put you in your "Desktop" folder. Yes, it's true that this can be done through the Breadcrumb Bar, but I still like it as a shortcut.

I noticed that the elusive "up" button was in the dialog to open/save files...but not normal explorer...hmmmm...which means it's there...lurking somewhere....

btw...I was using Daemon Tools 3.02 to load an ISO when I saw it.

There is no need for an "up" button anymore. LIke Enrickey said, you just click on the folder in the direcory path you want to go to. You can also click on the arrow next to the folder name to get a list of subfolders you can jump to. You should play with it some; it's pretty neat!

Ex:

You're in

C:\stuff\more stuff\my crap

You can click on "more stuff" to go up one leve, or "stuff" to go up two levels, etc.

Velox said:
There is no need for an "up" button anymore. LIke Enrickey said, you just click on the folder in the direcory path you want to go to. You can also click on the arrow next to the folder name to get a list of subfolders you can jump to. You should play with it some; it's pretty neat!
good point. It sounds like it would be pretty useful.

I gotta get my other two computers running... I really want to try this!

Enrickey is correct. The UP button isn't necesary anymore.

However, I find myself fumbling in the My Computer window trying to get to the desktop. xD

I usually have all my desktop icons hidden, so in XP, I would just open my computer and press the UP button once to get access to my desktop. It's a lil weird now that I can't do that. haha. Of course, there are many other ways to get to the desktop in window view... just I would need to unlearn my mussle memory.

n3g471v3 d3c1b3l said:
i think i know what you mean... same issue here... by the up button you are refering to the button with the green arrow right next to the forward and back buttons in xp?
yes exactly, i cant live without that button!!

Velox said:

Ex:

You're in

C:\stuff\more stuff\my crap

You can click on "more stuff" to go up one leve, or "stuff" to go up two levels, etc.
yeah but still, it was teh useful teh button

cu2cool said:
It's not gone. I think their default settings just hide it. When I didn't have it, I just right clicked on toolbar, click "customize" and added the "Up" button. Done...
oh thanks alot d00d! th4+ d!d teh tr!ck.

j00 R Da M4N!!

MaXimus666 said:
My keyboard automatically types "Teh" d00d! :(:eek:

how does ur keyboard automatically type 'teh'?

or is there some sort of sarcasm that i didn't pick up?

digitalx0 said:
Yeah, I also noticed it was gone... hopefully they add it by the release date!

OP: It's "the" not "teh". Use english please.

But 3|\|6|_15[H] is for teh n00bs. :-P Pr0z uze teh 1337.

Hmm, I never used the "up" button in Xp either =\ I either used back, or the "breadcrumb trail".

I know I’m going off topic here, sorry about that, but I hate it when people blame the hardware when its operator error %99.9 of the time.

It’s not the keyboard, it’s you...I know that sounds harsh, but look, I’ve had to deal with the same problem. Just slow down when you type and make sure you spell it correctly, you'll eventually get your speed back.

You could also change your keyboard layout altogether; Dvorak works nicely if you can stand relearning how to type all over again, the extra speed the average person can type at with the Dvorak layout is worth it though, and as you relearn you can avoid making "teh" a habit again.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
But 3|\|6|_15[H] is for teh n00bs. :-P Pr0z uze teh 1337.

Hmm, I never used the "up" button in Xp either =\ I either used back, or the "breadcrumb trail".
j00 ruxorz d00d!!!

that's awesome.....whatever happened to real english? and real typing?

speaking of windows and what not any one know how to make vista do the 3d shit with multipile windows ? were you can scroll them

Hold the Windows key (the one with the flag on it) and press/release the Tab Key, but when you let go of the Tab key keep the Windows key held down. You should now be able to scroll through the windows by pressing tab repeatedly or using the scroll wheel on your mouse (keeping the windows key held down the whole time)

Unknown-One said:
I know I’m going off topic here, sorry about that, but I hate it when people blame the hardware when its operator error %99.9 of the time.

It’s not the keyboard, it’s you...I know that sounds harsh, but look, I’ve had to deal with the same problem. Just slow down when you type and make sure you spell it correctly, you'll eventually get your speed back.

You could also change your keyboard layout altogether; Dvorak works nicely if you can stand relearning how to type all over again, the extra speed the average person can type at with the Dvorak layout is worth it though, and as you relearn you can avoid making "teh" a habit again.
he does it intentionally

Unknown-One said:
Hold the Windows key (the one with the flag on it) and press/release the Tab Key, but when you let go of the Tab key keep the Windows key held down. You should now be able to scroll through the windows by pressing tab repeatedly or using the scroll wheel on your mouse (keeping the windows key held down the whole time)

thank you ^^

Back