Teen Sentenced for ‘Mortal Kombat’ Killing

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
You might remember the 2007 story of Lamar Roberts and how he inadvertently killed a 7-yr old girl while mimicking moves from the game Mortal Kombat on her. He was sentenced to 36 years in prison and 5 years probation for the crime.

"I do agree to get what I get," Roberts said to Judge Marcelo Kopcow in Weld County District Court. "I'm not a monster, your honor. I'm truly sorry (for) what happened."

did he remove her spine?:rolleyes: i hate how they are labeling all of these murders now with a videogame. It's like they believe it's the sole reason that people become killers.

did he remove her spine?:rolleyes: i hate how they are labeling all of these murders now with a videogame. It's like they believe it's the sole reason that people become killers.

No, of course it not the sole reason. But a lot of ppl who love video games on this forum, would argue that video games have no impact at all.
I hate how those ppl dont understand the young kids, teenagers, and maybe even some immature adults, who have no major role models, can be influenced by what they watch or play on tv.
Largely, its not the video game's fault, its these wimpy parents who buy anything for there kids if they cry enough. It really makes me sick when i see that sort of thing happen at gamestop.
sorry, this sorta turned into a rant.

the 17 yr old half sister who was charged with negligently contributing only gets a suspended sentence?

the 17 yr old half sister who was charged with negligently contributing only gets a suspended sentence?

I can't agree with that, she was just as guilty, and should have done hard time as well. Though it is little consolation, at least the guy has accepted what he did was wrong and is accepting of his punishment. Especially since it will prolly not go well for him inside. People that commit crimes against kid generally do not do so well in prison.

Hah, wow. I had dinner with that Judge and a few others from our local youth advocates team on Friday.

I don't remember the specifics of the case, but 36 years sounds pretty harsh for involuntary manslaughter. There are first degree murderers who don't get that long of a sentence.

I don't remember the specifics of the case, but 36 years sounds pretty harsh for involuntary manslaughter. There are first degree murderers who don't get that long of a sentence.

Well yeah, you know... The difference is those first degree murders don't have the words "violent video game" flung about :rolleyes:

FATALITY!

We all it was the video game's fault he's a fucking moron. :rolleyes:

Still, 36 years is a bit harsh for an accident.

You guys forget, the US prison system is set up for punishment, not rehabilitation. So, 36 years is what he gets. :rolleyes:

It's not really that the games are bad for kids, it's that the parents are not at all fit to take care of kids.

Exactly how many years is the life of an innocent 7-year-old girl worth?

Personally, they should have thrown mandatory castration into his sentence. Stupid on that level should not be allowed to breed and fuck up the gene pool further.

well, I do kinda feel sorry for him, I don't know him but it seems like he's honestly sorry and obviously didn't wanna kill her, it was just a dumb accident. Maybe 36 is a little too much, I think there are worse, premeditated crimes done by teens.

Wow, 36 years is quite excessive.

Were they wrestling for fun and he may have just dropped her on her neck killing her, or was it like UFC and he slowly beat the crap out of her until she died?

The messed up part of this is the kid is going to get out in his 50s and know nothing more than prison behavior with stealing, killing, rape and survival of the fittest. I can guarantee he will do much worse things to people intentionally when he gets out with no future than if they accepted this was an accident and put him in a juvenile rehab program.

Dang... 36 years is more than a little. It takes 8 - 12 cold-blooded murders for a murderer to get a life sentence. While on one hand I fully agree that a 7 year old girl's life is worth way more than 36, it doesn't equate with the rest of our Judicial system. If you're going to sentence this kid to 36 years, then you should make that the norm.. Drug traffickers should get 20 years for each person they sell drugs to. Serial killers should get back-to-back life sentences without chance of parole.... If you steal, you should get your hand chopped off. If you cut your man's dick off, you should have your vag sheered off with a rusty spoon, and get 10 years in prison.

On the completely rational side... where was Roberts' head @? 17 year old male practicing Mortal Kombat moves on a 7 year old girl...wtf? Dude, grow a friggin' brain. Practice it on a tree or a friend your OWN AGE.

The justice system in many states is fucked up, imo.

I think the 17 year old is a dickhead for killing an innocent 7 year old, but intentional rapists often get 3 years or less.

They should've just tried to rehabilitate him thru a program, taught him how bad prison was and how he wouldn't want to go there, so he wouldn't ever kill anyone again, how valuable life is, and all that stuff.

Truly scaring people without punishing them often helps every individual more than punishing them.

Well, if he wasn't a killer before, he defiantly will be after he gets out of prison in 36 years

FATALITY!

We all it was the video game's fault he's a fucking moron. :rolleyes:

Do you really think it was an accident? Do you think the people on the jury thought it was an accident? If so, how do you know it was an accident and can you share your information with us so we will be more informed?

As for the video game, violent people imitate all kinds of media they are exposed to. It's just like anything else...someone sees something done in TV and want to try it out. Is it the fault of the producer of what they saw or is it really a person who acted it out who is at fault?

What I am saying to the anti video game crowd is you can not expect to villify an entertainment industry for bad decisions made by bad individuals.

Personally, I think anyone who kills anyone else for enjoyment should be removed from existance completely as they will never change and will ultimately do something similar again if the oppurtunity is presented.

Do you really think it was an accident? Do you think the people on the jury thought it was an accident? If so, how do you know it was an accident and can you share your information with us so we will be more informed?

Just the impression I got from the original post:
..how he inadvertently killed a 7-yr old girl while mimicking moves from the game Mortal Kombat on her.

As in he didn't mean to kill her. Doesn't change the fact that its still his fault.

I do think the sentence seems a bit harsh.

"36 years in prison and 5 years probation for the crime"

Something isnt right there. Why bother with 5 years tacked on to 36? I think there is something that is going to go on with the appeals process and the judge knew it in sentencing. The sentence will likely be appealed and reduced to just a few years or less (appeal for resentencing due to such an extreme sentence, which will be easier to do after the public loses interest). A 36 year sentence is such overkill that its almost saying "I'm forcing you to appeal this". Having that 5 years of probation on there is sort of like saying "I did the first part because I know what is going to happen after I did it, but I have to due to the high-profile of this case and to send a message with a harsh sentence for now... but I added the second part so that the next judge that gets this will know that I really wanted to just give him th 5 years probation."

I do think 36 years is overkill... might as well just make it life in that case. He might be able to get a college education, or at least some trade school, but he will never have a chance to meet a wife, have kids, etc. Coming out of prison when he will, and with that sort of record, he will likely never be able to afford a house or get a good job. Its a shame that the system is designed as 'eye for an eye' rather than rehabilitate and correct. One life has been lost, no need to make it 2.

36 years? I'm thinking this was no accident. I'm betting the DA proved the savage ment to do it.

or

This is a complete miscarriage of justice.

If he meant to do it. Fuck him. Let his ass rot.

Totally agreed. It's not like he had some mission to kill the damn kid. That's like getting into a car accident and losing control and killing someone in another car. It's not like you did it on purpose.

The description in the article definitely removes "accident" as a mitigator. In fact, I'm now wondering why the female got such a comparatively small sentence.

seriously this is screwed up. I don't care what anyone says, first degree murderes who plead not guilty get lesser prison sentences. I mean, it was an accident. And the older girl...i mean, a black kid kills a little white girl...and the older sister pretyt much walks. As much as i want to play the race card for Colorado, i will just leave it at that. They both plead guilty, the guy was remorseful and OBVIOUSLY didn't mean to kill her...

,,,He'd better appeal that sentencing, seriously. this one is getting me angry.

^ responding to why the girl didn't get a harsher sentence. They both deserve life.

exactly...and i read what both of them did in the story. I still say the sentence discrepancy is incredibly unreal in 21st century america...or should be. it sounds like a sentence out of the 70s. They both beat her. They probably didn't know how much pain she was in. He was drunk adn i'm sur eif he was sober he wouldnt' have done it. That last sentence was NOT an excuse, but when reality hit, they tried to revive her. They didn't bury the body or anything. They called the EMT. 20 years both...maybe 30 years both. not 5 years program, 36 years in jail+5 years proby. this kid was 17...18 now, and that is 2/3 of his life in prison when he gets out, plus 5 years just to make sure he doesn't get drunk again and go over to his gf's house and accidentally kill the little sister along with the gf. i hope the ACLU and NAACP is all over this now...my prayers go out to that boy and his family and the family of that little girl. this is a tragedy of epic proportions. The orignal traedy was the girl's death and was compounded by an **obviously** "fair and balanced" legal system. about as "fair and balanced" as Fox News...

oh...and the mortal combat style killing. he BODY slammed her. That's WWE, not Mortal kombat. Whatever.

At least the video in there cheered me up a bit....

anyways...okay getting mad again. Now i'm SURE in Texas he would have gotten death...you know how friendly THEY are to interracial couples...

i meant the legal system, not the people...well...some of the people too...but not most of them. why can't i edit anything?

Tragic, people have varying opinions on capital punishment, etc, but one thing is certain. Whatever sentence these two get will be less than Zoe's death sentence.

Evil exists, and people go around acting like Evil is cool and devil skull murder LOL, it is disgusting and saddening.

I've killed thousands of people in video games (mosly cod4/halo) never once have i attempted to shoot real people in the face (or had actual intentions to do so). Video games are not to blame, some people are stupid/mentally unstable. If it isn't one thing that triggers their actions, it would be something else eventually. Video games just seem to get the short straw.

I guess when you kill someone and the death of the victim is based off a video game, it gives you a 36 year minimum. There are serial killers that don't get that long of a sentence....

I think it sometimes depends on how expensive of an attorney you have and the judge's impression of you.

Well I've learned quite a few takedown and constricting moves from playing Wrestling and stealth games. :p

Of course, back then I also tried em on friends my size or bigger. The F-5 doesn't hurt IRL if you do it right...

No, of course it not the sole reason. But a lot of ppl who love video games on this forum, would argue that video games have no impact at all.
I hate how those ppl dont understand the young kids, teenagers, and maybe even some immature adults, who have no major role models, can be influenced by what they watch or play on tv.
Largely, its not the video game's fault, its these wimpy parents who buy anything for there kids if they cry enough. It really makes me sick when i see that sort of thing happen at gamestop.
sorry, this sorta turned into a rant.

qft, also when ever i go to gamestop*rarely now, maybe 1-3times an year* i see parents telling their kid, go pick whatever game you want, then they pick like a rated M game.... heh my parents didn't let me play pokemon back then :eek:, and still won't let me buy rated M games :eek:*im 17btw*, well they did let me buy COD4, cause you could turn off the blood... but im fine with it .. I play driving games most of the time anyways...

Back