Teclast X90HD - 2560x1600 8.9" Atom tablet

alamone

Gawd
Haven't seen any posts about this, but this is an interesting tablet that has a nice high resolution compared to the usual 720P / 1080P stuff in this price range (under $200). It uses a high resolution 2560x1600 IPS display by JDI (Japan Display Inc). Looks to be only on the China market right now, I placed an order through an Alibaba seller, waiting to receive mine.

http://www.teclast.com/zhuanti/X90HD/

Post a review when you get it.

At that price point, it will be interesting to find out what corners were cut. I'm guessing battery life won't be very good. I do like the idea of having a cheap and very portable Windows tablet.

Definitely interested to see how that resolution works especially the desktop. Do you have a link to where you ordered this? Thanks!

Did some research and found this: http://www.dx.com/p/teclast-x90hd-8...EkiUcYfd8Zh7mO3HfaN5uxoCghTw_wcB#.VIo7nz85COU. Went out to YouTube and there were a number of videos of Teclast tablets, Android and Windows. Definitely iPad knock offs but it looks like these screens are top notch, as good as the iPad Air. Looks like free Windows and cheap Bay Trail chips have allowed to Windows tablets to take off, didn't realize just how many unbranded devices were out there that are just the same Android devices with Windows on them now.

Since OP hasn't updated this thread or posted a review, I thought I'd give it a go.
I bought one of these tablets from the same seller from Aliexpress.

Initial thoughts was that it is quite a decent tablet for the price, but it does have it's drawbacks.

The speakers are terrible... it isn't the worst I've heard from a mobile device but it isn't far off!

The display itself is quite stunning(note that there is some light bleeding on top right hand corner that is evident only when the screen is completely black), I think that the 'retina' display is overkill and this display would have been perfectly fine in HD resolution. It makes browser/icon navigation rather tricky when everything is so damn tiny.

On the storage front, just as well that this tablet included a micro sd slot as there was only 19Gb usable on this 32Gb tablet.

It runs newer games like Asphalt Airborne 8 okay, older games like Six Guns however ran rather sluggishly. The tablet does however get rather warm on the top left hand coner during gaming and video playing sessions.

Battery life seems okay, I have been using this tablet on/off all day with some Star Wars Commander sessions, watching on demand videos, general web browsing and typing this up. It was sitting at 80% in the morning and it's now sitting at 40% around 12+ hours later. When I have the time I will try a full gaming or video session on a full charge and update this portion of the review.

Windows ran perfectly on this until I updated the tablet. I could not unhide the taskbar as easily as I did before AND I think I narrowed it down to either(or both) kb3006178 and kb2919355 as the culprit/s. I tried unsucessfully to uninstall both, so for now I will just have to live with the taskbar being shown on the desktop. Also note that running Internet Explorer from the START bar after the update will not initiate the keyboard if you have to type anything.

And now for the bad, I ran into multiple instances of screen corruption while I was running the Edjing app. The screen looks like it's been split in two and the charm bar has moved into the middle of the screen. In most cases, toggling the display on/off will fix it... in severe cases a reboot is needed. Note that I have also had this screen corruption happen a few times in Star Wars Commander when I was typing. I have not had this problem occur with any other Apps or when messing around in windows yet.

Lastly, there were two instances when it took ages to shutdown... and when I unplugged the power during one of those sessions it actually disabled my Realtek WLAN upon reboot.

I do believe that Windows and not Teclast is the culprit for most of the issues I encountered.

Would I buy another Teclast? Yes, but I would wait around for an honest review that's not a plug before making the purchase.

Last edited:
Thank you for your honest review. I guess I will keep looking. Dell's new OLED tablet looks to be really nice. Its running an Intel chipset.

Don't count it out quite yet.

Note that the above mini review was written hours after I received it, and a few days before I posted the review.

Here's an update, and it's mostly good news... except for the speakers, which completely lacks any medium or low frequencies. Playing Daft Punk's Da Funk on it just sounds awfully tinny.

I have resolved the split screen issue with certain apps by dropping the desktop resolution to 1920x1200.

Also resolved is the taskbar issue,which is now much easier to unhide. Toggling windows animation on/off fixed it.

I did try to connect to a WiDi display but windows told me that my LG TV was not windows certified! Luckily I had a micro hdmi cable, and that worked a charm. Audio works fine with windows and playing videos but it wouldn't project sound onto the tv when I was playing a game.

Suffice to say battery life improved and tablet was running much cooler after dropping the resolution down.

I managed to get over 3.5 hours of Dungeon Hunter 4 and Star Wars Commander, with Utorrent running in the background.

If there's anythingelse you would like to know just ask.

Sounds like there are buggy drivers and/or utilities installed on it. Both of those things can usually be worked around with upgrades and/or bare driver installation.

It seems somewhat decent for the price, and the battery life sounds great. Could you post the WEI scores and/or quick storage benchmarks? I'm interested mostly in the eMMC drive performance. Some devices have storage that's around 2.5" 7200RPM performance or a little better, and some are closer to 1/2 or 1/3 that.

I have this tablet for a month now
as detomaso said all the pros and cons of this tablet are about the display
resolution is stunning and high ppi gives an enjoyable experience and colors are fairly good too
but meanwhile display has major issues that are huge pain in the ass
it's like that screen is divided right it the middle, it's not very noticeable but if you know how and where to look for the dividing line you'd find it. open a page with lots of text, focus your eyes on the middle of the screen(imagine there's a vertical line in the middle), then slowly move the page horizontally, now you can see as you move the page, this invisible dividing line puts a very small space between the letters and separates them a bit. this behavior is always there, even in the BIOS, there were some talks in the Teclast forum that it might get fixed by bios update(apparently one of the staff had said it) , but it's been two months since acknowledgment of Teclast technical staff and no more news, it's almost like they've abandoned this product. i check teclast forum every day using google translator and all of these chinese people that have purchased this tablet are pissed too. on the other hand i assume display is the same display used in Teclast P90HD, and P90HD does not have this split line problem so i think there's nothing wrong with the display hardware wise. there were some speculations that Intel 3735D and the GPU are not capable of rendering this high resolution, but X10HD uses Intel 3736F which is almost identical to 3735D except for higher burst speed which has nothing to do with this issue, and GPU is the same, yet X10HD does not have this problem. i really hope Teclast staff come up with a solution or at least admit this problem is not fixable, but unfortunately they've done neither.
142255335843121.jpg

14225533585782.jpg

142255335864613.jpg

I had a X10HD for a week, which wound up having way too many issues. Hopefully people have better experiences with Teclast products. I definitely didn't. I haven't tried the X90HD or even the popular X98 Air 3G or II, so I can't comment on how good they are.

Here's all of the issues I had with the X10HD, which was sent to OKQI (seller of the tablet I bought) along with the broken tablet.
1. OTG doesn't work with any device or OTG cable in Android or Windows
2. DnX mode starts but this mode isn't recognized by Windows (via desktop & netbook on both USB 2.0 & 3.0). This stopped me from being able to reload Android or Windows. This was greatly disappointing since I couldn’t put a clean installation of Windows.
3. CPU throttling is good on Windows but horrible on Android. Has plenty of thermal events that need not occur whatsoever. Drained the battery very quickly despite showing low usage on Android.
4. Fast discharge of battery drops it to 7%. At 7% it will stay at this level for 3+ hours with Android & Windows.
5. Creaking noise near speakers. I suspect the housing around them maybe causing the noise.
6. Screen shuts off completely in Android & Windows. Won't turn back on unless a forced shutdown occurs by holding down the power button for more than 5 seconds.
7. Charging flickers on & off while connected to a charger (doesn't matter what type). This means that the MTP connection in Android wasn’t completely stable either.
8. Windows & Android reboot randomly when connected via USB
9. Windows & Android will reduce in functionality when the battery is at 20% & below. This means I can't do much with it at all, especially when it takes a very long time (3+ hours) for the 7% battery level to finally drop below it.
10. Android reports the battery is 4900~4999mAh, which can’t be fixed after a full discharge. Windows battery life is better but I was unable to find the battery capacity while on it.
11. Cleared all user data for Android but Windows wouldn’t refresh for me (clear user data)
12. Updated Windows 8.1 with Bing to Windows 8.1 Pro but I was unable to downgrade it back (see #2)
13. Chip off of shell near USB port & audio out port. I am unable to account for any such incident due to taking very gentle care with it. I left the original plastic protector on it until I was able to put a screen protector on it. I am unsure if the keyboard case may have been in conflict with the tablet shell.

Haha! how weird is that, just one day after my post Teclast releases the new BIOS and it works!
no more splitter line! so over the moon!

Back