TechPowerUp Retests Battlefield V DXR Performance

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
After a brief delay, Battlefield V's first big free content update is out. DICE says they've been working with Nvidia to improve the somewhat disappointing DXR performance in the release version of the game, and TechPowerUp decided put those claims to the test. Using three RTX GPUs and Nvidia's new 417.22WHQL Drivers, the site found that raytracing performance has improved significantly, especially at the higher quality settings. Thanks to cageymaru for the tip.

We are happy to report that the barrels of midnight oil burned in Stockholm and Santa Clara have paid off to produce significant performance improvements. The "Ultra" and "High" DXR reflections quality settings now yield performance numbers matching the "Low" setting from the older version of Battlefield V. In fact, at 4K UHD, the two are marginally better. The "Medium" and "Low" settings come with progressively higher performance than "Ultra" and "High". DICE also fixed the bug which caused the "Medium" setting never to get applied, and the performance difference between settings is generally bigger, which gives you better control over performance vs. fidelity. Coming down to the numbers, at the lowest setting, for the RTX 2080 Ti, there is still a 38% performance penalty at 1080p, which narrows down to 30% at 4K UHD. This means that 30% is the bare minimum performance cost of DXR at this time.

So DXR (basically fancy AA) is faster, but the Ray Tracing is still slow as dogshit? I though RT was the whole reason for the big pomp and bombast lol.

Nice improvement, but I don't think the expensive GPU hardware has enough oomph for coping with the various methodology of RT implementation (and future developments) in differing game engines that game studios utilize.
BFV seems to be the best performing implementation of it so far, albeit with a 30-40% hit even after this new patch, so I hope that other game studios are taking notes and we see some serious optimization happen.
I don't think the hardware is worth the price premium being demanded of it.

Guys over on Reddit are saying that the Rays go crazy when a rocket hits and the game stutters and freezes for a few seconds. Also some of the optimized textures look like Minecraft.

I hope they fix the issues soon though. I'm just glad others decided to be the Alpha testers for new technology instead of me for a change. :)

Well, it sucks that it's still not that great. I wanted to upgrade strictly for the extra features (DXR), as I'm fine speed wise (I could use some extra oomph, but I'm not hurting). Oh well, I guess I'll wait a couple more years for the next update. Or AMD's release...

Guys over on Reddit are saying that the Rays go crazy when a rocket hits and the game stutters and freezes for a few seconds. Also some of the optimized textures look like Minecraft.

I hope they fix the issues soon though. I'm just glad others decided to be the Alpha testers for new technology instead of me for a change. :)

where were you when the gigarays hit?

FYI, on 417.22 drivers for RTX cards Hitman 2 has a lot of issues. Some maps have a checkered pattern. Another map looks fine but just crashes. Ran fine on previous drivers. Confirmed with multiple users. If you have an RTX card and want to play Hitman 2 hold off updating for now.

So DXR (basically fancy AA)

5U07aV9.jpg

Wonder if they realized that very few things in a warzone have a high gloss mirror polish to them, and toned it down a bit to be more "realistic" which could result in a performance increase?

Reactions: mord
like this
Wonder if they realized that very few things in a warzone have a high gloss mirror polish to them, and toned it down a bit to be more "realistic" which could result in a performance increase?

They were meant to be turning them down a bit since they first showed it off when the 2080 series was unveiled, it was turned up higher to show the ray tracing off then turned down slightly before the game launched.

I'm thinking that Nvidia is really gunning for the "worst tech intro of 2018 award" here with their new RTX gaming card lineup. The performance levels/benefit being introduced by RTX for the asking price that is being imposed definitely propels this to the top of the heap as to bad tech. It really comes across as something half baked at this point. Not knocking the traditional rasterization performance of their new cards... but this RTX business is really just not shining through here in any way shape or form. And if it's in any way responsible for the massive price hike in their new hardware, then they really need to go back to the lab with this crap and rip it out and try again later after they've fully baked the tech and its drivers so that they are nice and golden brown and ready for consumption... instead of this current mess. I'd gladly buy a 2080Ti minus the RTX crap right now if it were a bit more reasonable like say $799.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that Nvidia is really gunning for the "worst tech intro of 2018 award" here with their new RTX gaming card lineup. The performance levels/benefit being introduced by RTX for the asking price that is being imposed definitely propels this to the top of the heap as to bad tech. It really comes across as something half baked at this point. Not knocking the traditional rasterization performance of their new cards... but this RTX business is really just not shining through here in any way shape or form. And if it's in any way responsible for the massive price hike in their new hardware, then they really need to go back to the lab with this crap and rip it out and try again later after they've fully baked the tech and its drivers so that they are nice and golden brown and ready for consumption... instead of this current mess. I'd gladly buy a 2080Ti minus the RTX crap right now if it were a bit more reasonable like say $799.

Price is meant to be down to the die size, though i would think the rt and tensor cores also have a hand in jacking the price off....err up. This whole launch just seems to be an nvidia experiment in how hard they can fuck people wanting the latest tech.

DXR is a directx thing. RTX is just the name of the nvidia stuff that supports DXR within directx/windows 10. You're thinking of DLSS.

I can't keep track of all the acronyms, I thought RTX was raytracing and DXR was that Machine learning based AA?
DXR is DirectX Raytracing. RTX is nvidia's RayTracing platform, and includes the "RT cores". DLSS is their Distributed Deep Learning Supersampling, which is probably what you were thinking of.

Last edited:
50% DXR performance improvement? That's pretty significant. Is it just in Battlefield V, or .. wait, that's the only Raytracing game that's out that I know of. Still, nice performance boost.

As long as they are improving general DXR performance (which should support any future hardware that supports DXR) and not just some proprietary Nvidia RT (is there even such a thing?), that's cool with me.

Hopefully, that means when AMD (or Intel or anyone else's) hardware comes out that supports DXR, it should benefit them as well.

Back