Limp Gawd
TechPowerUp has posted review of the Radeon RX 5500

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5500/

summary:

average-fps-1920-1080.png

average-fps_1920_1080.png

relative-performance_1920-1080.png

congrats, we have a 970 gtx competetor on our hands XD

It really all depends on the price of the card. It performs like a lower power version of the RX 580. Probably draws a lot less power than a 970 also and has a real 4GB of memory :p.

The real competition is the 1650 Super, and seeing as that is in the $160 range, I would expect a $140-150 price tag.

Last edited:
It really all depends on the price of the card. It performs like a lower power version of the RX 580. Probably draws a lot less power than a 970 also and has a real 4GB of memory :p.
I was a 970 owner and this makes me laugh. It’s basically a lower powered, more efficient 580. And that’s what it was meant to be from what I understand.

Very much depends on price, needs to be $150 or less.

Since the GTX 1650 Super is already selling, and playing spoiler. It's $160, beats the RX 5500 performance, uses a bit less power, only 6pin power connector, vs 8 pin on the RX 5500.

I edited my post after you guys quoted it, but I think $150 is likely the target price given the market.

So majority of these will end up in HP, Lenovo, and Dell "Gaming" boxes?

This was last week with my Ryzen 5 3600 build on MSI B350M Gaming Pro / the cpu is in Gaming Boost mode .. memory was set at 2133Mhz with Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8Gb with game set to max settings for 1080p .. it's hard to beat 8Gb of memory offered ..

I don't think AMD is much rush to launch these as retail cards. Polaris cards are probably cheaper to make, and the Navi silicon could be better used in Laptop and Apple computers.

I don't see this selling well in retail. The pricing just won't work out given the 1650/1660, or even the 590., The 590 can be had for pretty good deals.

I don't think AMD is much rush to launch these as retail cards. Polaris cards are probably cheaper to make, and the Navi silicon could be better used in Laptop and Apple computers.

That's exactly it.

If you look at the Radeon RX 5500 in isolation, it doesn't make much sense.

Rather, Radeon RX 5500 is really a byproduct of the Radeon RX 5500M.

Because of its low TDP, Radeon RX 5500M is suitable for laptops in the way that Radeon RX 580 isn't.

The RX 590 is $179 new with a free game and that's hard to compare with in value short term , moving Polaris over to DDR6 memory would been time better spent if performance scaled with the change as DX 12 is already there .

Back