Technology Gone Wrong

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is by far the most idiotic idea I've seen all week. The Netherlands just bought 6,000 "smart" trash cans that, through the use of an RFID badge, monitors how much trash you throw away and bills you accordingly. I got $5 that says littering / illegal dumping goes through the roof after this.

The Netherlands will host a bunch of intelligent bins which will require you to present your ID before it accepts rubbish. Not only that, this intelligent robot bin will also inform municipal trucks that they need to be emptied. An RFID reader is embedded in the lid, where it will open only when one presents a form of ID. The amount of rubbish will then be added to your final bill.

I got $5 that says littering / illegal dumping goes through the roof after this.

They should probably just put a regular trash can next to the high tech trash can to collect all of the garbage that people are otherwise just going to throw on the ground instead of paying to dispose of it.

LOL...this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Who in their government OK'ed this??? I mean, I'm not one to litter, but shit, you just want to throw a cup away but before you do you got to scan your I.D. card then get charged for it? This cup looks good in the gutter too...

"I forgot my ID so had to throw shit on the floor. Then the next week, I had no money so had to just dump it in the woods..."

This is silly. :p

It'll get to the point when people have to put locks and chains over their trash cans. To prevent other people from putting their trash in it to save money.

Seems a little over the top, but it would be nice for residential customers; I'm tired of people stealing recyclables from my bin; recyclables that the trash company picks up means revenue for them, so they don't have to charge me more. (Maybe I could just bring my recyclables and get trash myself, but I bet the trash company gets better rates than I would)

I think this is meant for residential areas. I don't see it any different than living in an apartment complex and paying a monthly trash fee.

The title should be rename from "Technology gone wrong" to "Government gone wrong".

The technology is fine. It's innocuous. It is serving its function. It's the government mandating this bullshit that is the problem.

Stupid as fuck, people have a hard time using a regular trash can and ash trays, just look at the ground.

Just raise taxes and use the extra money collected to have inmates and community service people pick the shit up.

Here is the good 'ole USA.. well California anyway there's a similar experiment going on.

I used to drive by the Kiefer landfill in Sacramento County every day on my way to work and there's garbage regularly piled up on the side of the road near the landfill. Why?

Well say you have a mattress, broken dryer or whatever in a pickup truck that you need to throw away. There's a $20.00 charge for that. On top of that if the load isn't COVERED by a tarp there's a $75.00 fine PLUS court costs. Yup all loads must be covered with a tarp.

So instead everyone goes out there after they are closed and just dumps it all on the side of the road so the county gets ZERO dollars and has to pay someone to clean it up every day.

Here is the good 'ole USA.. well California anyway there's a similar experiment going on.

I used to drive by the Kiefer landfill in Sacramento County every day on my way to work and there's garbage regularly piled up on the side of the road near the landfill. Why?

Well say you have a mattress, broken dryer or whatever in a pickup truck that you need to throw away. There's a $20.00 charge for that. On top of that if the load isn't COVERED by a tarp there's a $75.00 fine PLUS court costs. Yup all loads must be covered with a tarp.

So instead everyone goes out there after they are closed and just dumps it all on the side of the road so the county gets ZERO dollars and has to pay someone to clean it up every day.

Yeah, Im in San Diego and had to go to the dump when I was cleaning out a rental my family had. I left a spare tire (that I WANTED, it was my Goddamn spare tire for crying out loud!) and they would not let me in because they assumed I was going to throw it in with the rest of the trash. After about 20 min of trying to explain to them I wasnt going to trash it, I had to turn around and dump it on the side of the road, go back, pay $30 to enter, and then come back and find my tire (which inexplicably had moved a few hundred feet).

Yeah, Im in San Diego and had to go to the dump when I was cleaning out a rental my family had. I left a spare tire (that I WANTED, it was my Goddamn spare tire for crying out loud!) and they would not let me in because they assumed I was going to throw it in with the rest of the trash. After about 20 min of trying to explain to them I wasnt going to trash it, I had to turn around and dump it on the side of the road, go back, pay $30 to enter, and then come back and find my tire (which inexplicably had moved a few hundred feet).

Oh yeah, I know san diego county's landfill well. During a remodel I spent a ton of money to go back and forth to their. Because one time I wanted to increase the capacity of F150 bed to hold more stuff so I cut down on trips, well, they had to charge me a modified cargo fee and weigh coming in and out of the station because I put up plywood sheets on either side of my bed.

I like the idea of the can notifying when it needs to be emptied. Saves on wasted energy sending a truck out to empty partially full cans. Also would help track where they would need to put more cans or less of them.

I'm not familiar with the Netherlands places they'd deploy this, but this concept probably works best in a business park or large residential unit so random non-residents from outside don't go dumping their trash and running the dispo bills.

Sadly I think where we need more government regs is in the areas of recyclable packaging mandates. It's a confusing mess across what can and cannot be recycled, and who accepts what and where, varies by neighborhoods, cities and states. :-(

Sadly I think where we need more government regs is in the areas of recyclable packaging mandates. It's a confusing mess across what can and cannot be recycled, and who accepts what and where, varies by neighborhoods, cities and states. :-(
And then they change what is accepted, such as which plastics. They say they've got enough of a certain type of plastic and that it's off the recycle list. What an idiotic idea. I say that if you're going to collect materials to recycle, then collect ALL recyclable materials. It really makes you question the mentality of those in charge of it.

Seems a little over the top, but it would be nice for residential customers; I'm tired of people stealing recyclables from my bin; recyclables that the trash company picks up means revenue for them, so they don't have to charge me more. (Maybe I could just bring my recyclables and get trash myself, but I bet the trash company gets better rates than I would)
I hear ya. I'm tired of the recycle thieves, too. They're primarily after anything with a redemption value (like the glass/plastic bottles and aluminum cans) where they charge you a "deposit fee" when you buy them.

I always save the CRV stuff to redeem myself, so they don't get squat going thru our bins, but it's still aggravating that they do.

A "measured" service might be nice because we are charged a flat rate for trash collection whether we put out any bins for collection or not.

I think this is meant for residential areas. I don't see it any different than living in an apartment complex and paying a monthly trash fee.
The pic in the article shows one by a waterway, so that doesn't really look residential to me.

If you said common sense regs I might agree, that's never goign to happen.

We have a general recycling bin for cardboard, plastic, etc. Used to through all my water bottles in it. But then they decided to start charging a "recycling deposit" on them, So now I have to waste gas, time & pollute the air to drive them to the recycling center if I want to get my deposit back.

According to a friend who lives there the trash cans are actually meant for large quantities of trash (such as a store throwing out a bag of garbage) and the units are actually below ground storage units.

I'd believe that before I'd believe you have to use a badge to throw away your empty cup ;-) I'm not going to base my opinion on a single photo distributed around the internet... neither should you.

According to a friend who lives there the trash cans are actually meant for large quantities of trash (such as a store throwing out a bag of garbage) and the units are actually below ground storage units.

I'd believe that before I'd believe you have to use a badge to throw away your empty cup ;-) I'm not going to base my opinion on a single photo distributed around the internet... neither should you.

Then again they really could be THAT stupid :p *shrug* We'll see.

we need pics of said friend for confirmation :D

recyclables that the trash company picks up means revenue for them, so they don't have to charge me more.

Your complaint is irrelevent. Just because you think they would not "have" to charge you more doesn't change the fact that 'they' WILL continue to charge you more... and more... and even more.

I can see this whole garbage charge thing creating a whole new class of criminal. I hope the Netherlands has enough jail capacity for their new breed of trashy criminal.

Hate to tell you guys, but all the world is not Texas.

Sure, every time you throw away enough excess waste you can casually confiscate another ranch to dump more trash in, but I doubt the Dutch have as much room. Some sort of care as to how fast you are filling up landfills matter, and this RFID might work.

In Albany, NY, we have solar powered trash cans, it's actually pretty awesome. Many trashcans have a built in compactor that is battery powered and hooked up to a solar panel that covers the top. Also the best part is they don't ask me for ID and charge me money!

I suppose the collective mentality is much different in NL, especially with the amount of bicycles and low levels of pollution, but this is going a bit overboard imo.

That's not what the picture in the article implies. I guess its possible those cans are over pits, but the opening just isn't suited for putting away a bag of trash. I would take your friends comment to be that this is a not well known pilot program that is in addition to dumpsters that already do this and are more widely known.

Hate to tell you guys, but all the world is not Texas.

Sure, every time you throw away enough excess waste you can casually confiscate another ranch to dump more trash in, but I doubt the Dutch have as much room. Some sort of care as to how fast you are filling up landfills matter, and this RFID might work.

What does Texas have to do with anything in this matter?
Don't mess with Texas.

We may just be applying our own ghetto logic to the Dutch which may be flat wrong (lived in Germany which isn't too far off, but not Holland).

Assuming the Dutch culture is perhaps cleaner with less "undesirables" in their society, at least in the neighborhood communities that are implementing this technology, and law enforcement to keep the bad apples under check, this could be great! I lived in Singapore for a few years for example, and with their culture and law-enforcement, this would be absolutely no problem at all as littering is virtually unheard of. :)

1) It encourages people to produce less waste, important especially in Europe that can't afford massive landfills
2) It charges people based on use which is more fair; right now I get charged the same as the family of six next door, but because I live alone and recycle and go out to eat a lot I have very little waste and usually only bring the can up to be emptied once every few weeks.

I was thinking the same thing... Tourists will now be considered litter bugs

On the plus side, getting arrested as a litter bug after having a Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat could get you out of the army.

Back