Technology Could Back Up GPS, Defeat Jammers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A great deal of us depend on GPS technology for so many routine tasks that we are starting to take GPS for granted. What would happen if the service was suddenly disrupted for an extended period of time? This is the question experts are discussing at a GNSS conference in London.

That is why they still sell Atlas's. I'm sure todays kids have NO clue what that is lol

Or how to tell which direction you are going by where the sun is.

It actually gets kind of tricky during certain hours of certain months like winter when the earth's tilt is away from the sun. Throw in overcast weather while you're driving loopy roads. But yeah, kids these days wouldn't even begin to think in such terms.

How do I get around if GPS went dead? I ask the guy at the nearest gas station for directions. The guy that can barely speak english, and doesn't even know the roads in that area. Even if the road was around the corner, he wouldn't know.

In other words, I'm fucked.

Yeah...a road atlas.

for that matter...google maps and such will still work. You could do it the "old fashioned" way and print out directions and use those.

I wonder if we haven't reversed evolution more than a little bit.

thats why i always carry maps for every country i pass through when i make my monthly trip from belgium to romania, and boy oh boy do they come in usefull when someone breaks in your car steals everything including the gps!

Same here, I don't use nor need GPS. I'm just fine with an atlas or printed Google maps for a rare occasion where I'd like to have a map.

thats why i always carry maps for every country i pass through when i make my monthly trip from belgium to romania, and boy oh boy do they come in usefull when someone breaks in your car steals everything including the gps!

Oh I hate it when it happens. We had our GPS taken out of the car in under 15 seconds, while getting everyone in the hotel room.........

Oh I hate it when it happens. We had our GPS taken out of the car in under 15 seconds, while getting everyone in the hotel room.........

It makes you wish you had a kill switch for them...but not one that wipes it...one that makes all roads lead them off cliffs.

That is why they still sell Atlas's. I'm sure todays kids have NO clue what that is lol

Heh, I still have an old Rand McNally atlas + state maps from AAA in my car. :)

I also have a habit of printing out GMaps directions and studying the map/area around my destination for a few minutes before leaving. Not all us young'uns are silly ;)

Back