Technet annoyance, and does Microsoft have torrents for ISOs?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anybody else find it annoying that Microsoft throttles your download? I mean really. 200 kb/sec Microsoft, really? :mad:

Also, if anyone knows of legit sites to torrent a copy of Vista Buisness, please PM me. I thought Microsoft had a set of torrents but google seems to fail me.

I've been using MSDN for 14 years and the bandwidth has always been very good except when a major release comes out like Windows 7. It's NEVER been capped at 200 kps.

I've been using MSDN for 14 years and the bandwidth has always been very good except when a major release comes out like Windows 7. It's NEVER been capped at 200 kps.

I've been getting capped at 230-300 at work when I can download most things from non-throttled websites at 1mb+ :(

Does anybody else find it annoying that Microsoft throttles your download? I mean really. 200 kb/sec Microsoft, really? :mad:.

Never found it throttled, I've found Microsofts download sites are one of the fastest out there, you can almost use it to test how fast your internet pipe is on a steady basis. Except, as noted above, on major release days. Our office is on a fat chunk of a 45 meg pipe in our building, I've pulled down at several megs steady from them.

If you find it throttled, perhaps you're running QoS or something on the router and the other downloads you pull are via a different method that's not in QoS?

An OS...especially Microsoft software...I'd only..only..only download it from them.

Same with me, no throttling's occurring. It only takes about 15 minutes to get Win7 Ultimate 64-bit at home. But then I do all of my TechNet downloads at home because my Comcast 25mbps line is leaps and bounds faster than work's 1.3mbps T1 line.

I've noticed it... takes a while now to download some things....

I noticed an "ON" at the bottom and moused over it.

That may be your answer. You also have to understand that they can and should throttle the speeds during peak times, such as when Windows 7 was released. I'd rather be watching it download slowly, rather than not at all. I've never encountered throttling during normal times, however, day or night.

Even though the media/os on it's own is technically worthless, I don't think Microsoft will ever support torrenting their software, even the free stuff. It just takes them down a hallway where the door closes behind you.

Does it make a difference if you download with IE or FF? I get the same speeds on FF as I do with their downloader.

That may be your answer. You also have to understand that they can and should throttle the speeds during peak times, such as when Windows 7 was released. I'd rather be watching it download slowly, rather than not at all. I've never encountered throttling during normal times, however, day or night.

I was downloading at the dead of the night since I got called in at like 2:30AM and needed a Vista Buisness ISO to rebuild a VM. Was frustrating seeing it take 3 hours :(

@bigdog

they could always host their own private tracker that requires your technet login :D Oh I can only dream....

Last edited:
Since they publish hashes of the ISOs, you can download them wherever and just verify the hash.

Since they publish hashes of the ISOs, you can download them wherever and just verify the hash.

Indeed, emphasis on verifying the hash part. It's also a great way to get service pack integrated images if you bought an original release version and want to reinstall.

Back