Technet 25% off deal on now

i dont know if this is still going on, but man are the transfers going slow for me. i was wondering if anyone was downloading iso's in less then 2 days....

I did. It can.

Good info to have for sure :) It's definitely a nice price to renew at.

yeah apparently either microsoft hasn't known what's wrong for 3 months or they just don't give a shit- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/tnfeedback/thread/fd823c33-d89a-4aa2-bb41-0ead8204913c

currently wizzin along at 7kb/sec. 92 hours till completion. ill be watching it like water boiling.
That's terrible :( I've been getting decent speeds, though at times dropping down to 100k but never for long.

!!!

microsoft file transfer manager is the problem! it only downloads from one server. microsoft doesnt host these iso's i guess- Akamai does. if you go to TOP DOWNLOADS and select your disc on that page, the Akamai download manager will install and now i get 1.12MB/sec on a 6mb connection!

here is MSDN top downloads- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb608344.aspx

i cant find technet's top downloads page, it looks like they moved it and hid it.... its gotta be there somewhere.... this is kick ass, as i wrote this post its already 20% done. the akamai download manager connects to all of akamai's mirror servers, microsoft file transfer manager is just going off one. this works!

i guess this means that its really not microsoft's fault, that or they just arent buying enough servers from akamai. whatever though, if you can get the host's download manager to work all the problems are gone, its a completely open pipe for me now....

Last edited:
awesome. im not going to post it to that technet forum either. not until i get my iso's first hahaha. i would imagine this workaround is on there somewhere though, the posters just arent looking hard enough because i found this solution through google. it was like the fourth result for "slow technet downloads" http://4sysops.com/archives/speed-up-your-windows-7-rtm-download-from-technet-and-msdn/ its nice to have 30min iso downloads again, like it should be.

I've tried looking for the top downloads but it looks like they've removed it; By googling I found an old link for the top downloads: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb545043.aspx

but all it says is:
This content is outdated and has been removed. Please see the TechNet Subscriptions Downloads page for current information.

another page states:
TechNet Plus Subscriptions Deprecated Content [Deprecated] TechNet Subscriptions Top Downloads

It would seem they kept the akamai goodies for msdn subscribers.Personally haven't had any issue with the microsoft file manager, but still sucks :(

Last edited:
you can click on each iso link in that rss url i listed, that doesnt throw you into akamai's download manager? when i click it asks for my login, but im on msdn so it wont let me further

you can click on each iso link in that rss url i listed, that doesnt throw you into akamai's download manager? when i click it asks for my login, but im on msdn so it wont let me further

Nope, redirects to the normal downloads section where the link is located. I remember using the akamai download manager to make my win7 download faster when it was first released, so the top download section existed then, but sometime between then and now it's been removed apparently. Where the link used to be is now a link to "New Technet Downloads" which is a link to the rss feed.

ok yeah thats was i was afraid of. as to why msdn has it and technet doesnt is strange then... ms is likely changing things around, maybe jan1 we see a whole new server configuration when the new business year starts. hopefully...

yeah the past few months speed has dropped drastically.

Right now i'm getting 8KB (visio 2010 beta)

Usually get 300 or so (best i've had is 1.5MB)

I've found that certain servers hosting certain files on certain days are slow while everything else is blazing fast. I usually just try again the next day and it's back up to full speed.

Is anyone having problems downloading? I cannot seem to be able to download anything. In Firefox, I click on the Download button and the page seems to load but nothing happens. In IE, it tells me to install ActiveX, I do but then it comes up with an error stating that if I have XP SP3 I may have problems. (I have W7 64bit)

Edit: After 3 hours or so it appears to be working for me now. Not sure what was up.

Edit 2: Scratch that. It's bugged out again...

Last edited:
Guys, I did this speed hack ages ago and haven't looked back. Some things still chug along (legacy software) but the major stuff is okay to quick.

http://4sysops.com/archives/speed-up-your-windows-7-rtm-download-from-technet-and-msdn/

Where can you get the Akamai download applet though? The Top Downloads section is not there anymore on TechNet.

Last night when I tried again to download something, it failed for me. You click on "Download" and nothing happens. I don't understand it. I used to be able to download from TechNet without the MS File Transfer software or any Download Applet. I just clicked download and it worked. :(

Where can you get the Akamai download applet though? The Top Downloads section is not there anymore on TechNet.

Last night when I tried again to download something, it failed for me. You click on "Download" and nothing happens. I don't understand it. I used to be able to download from TechNet without the MS File Transfer software or any Download Applet. I just clicked download and it worked. :(

Yup you're right... That was the wrong hack. I googled, and quickly glanced, but here's the right hack:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/11/20/speed-up-and-download-faster-from-microsoft-msdn-downloads/

Basically you need to mess with your internet settings and hosts file. It's pretty BS that you have to get leet in order to get what you're entitled to in a reasonable manner. But that's the world... Survival of the fittest.

:D

what happens once a year is up and you renew? does it restart all the keys you used? for example what if you used up 10 keys for xp in a year?

what happens once a year is up and you renew? does it restart all the keys you used? for example what if you used up 10 keys for xp in a year?

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but even if you use up more than 10 keys in your current subscription, you can still call in and request more right?

That being said, are you a system builder using technet keys? hehehehe.... :D

you get the same keys if you renew. However, if you manage to use up all of your keys, MS will give you new keys.

Is MS releasing any new software in 2010? A lot of the software on there now would be nice to haves, but I think I would only use Win 7 and Windows Home Server.

Deal is on w/28% off coupon:

Use coupon code TNWIN7L to get 28% off a full online one year subscription to TechNet Plus Direct.

Retail is $349, with this coupon the price comes to $251.28.

Link

Sorry if this is repost but I did search H for that coupon code and no results were returned, and the original code in this thread doesn't work anymore.

Back