Tech Jesus goes on a tear about size.

(not really addressed to the person I'm replying too, more just to the whiners, like Tech Jesus, etc.)

So, really at the end of the day, the gripe is that people are making boards larger than ATX (I could care less about what they call them, just as long as it fits in an EATX case, I'll check dimensions of course, in case it's outside EATX).

My guess is that there is a class of user that never considered high end motherboards before (EATX), and so, now they're mad at manufacturers that make boards larger than ATX, we'll say because it's become more common from motherboard suppliers that never used to step outside of ATX, or at least not in a way that mattered to many.

I'm still convinced this is spilled milk at best. If it's a big deal to you (maybe both spilled milk and fruit loops), then buy an EATX case. If the motherboards is just so out of wack that it requires its own specialized case.... I'd simply avoid anything made by that manufacturer. Just me.

You haven't watched the video.

He's talking about the fact that no case manufacturer or Mainboard designer cannot agree on a specification. And some cases say they support "E-ATX" mainboards but can't support some "E-ATX" boards, because "E-ATX" doesn't actually exist as a ratified, acceptable standard, only "it's larger than ATX so its 'E-ATX'" which could mean a few millimeters larger or a massive 4-5 inches larger.

You haven't watched the video.

He's talking about the fact that no case manufacturer or Mainboard designer cannot agree on a specification. And some cases say they support "E-ATX" mainboards but can't support some "E-ATX" boards, because "E-ATX" doesn't actually exist as a ratified, acceptable standard, only "it's larger than ATX so its 'E-ATX'" which could mean a few millimeters larger or a massive 4-5 inches larger.

And he's not wrong. I've noticed for several years that some so called "E-ATX" boards are barely larger than standard boards while a dual processor board like the D5400XS is also E-ATX. One will fit in a lot of cases and the other will not.

And he's not wrong. I've noticed for several years that some so called "E-ATX" boards are barely larger than standard boards while a dual processor board like the D5400XS is also E-ATX. One will fit in a lot of cases and the other will not.

Ugh. EATX is UP TO 12 x 13. It's ok to have a board that's larger than ATX that requires an EATX capable case. That's actually logical, normal and expected.

The D5400XS says it's EATX in its documentation (dimensions), do you know otherwise?

Ugh. EATX is UP TO 12 x 13. It's ok to have a board that's larger than ATX that requires an EATX capable case. That's actually logical, normal and expected.

The D5400XS says it's EATX in its documentation (dimensions), do you know otherwise?

Steve went on a rant about how motherboards and cases are inconsistent with E-ATX sizing. Yes, it's a range but not every case that claims E-ATX compatibility would actually accept all E-ATX motherboards. I used the dual processor D5400XS as an example because it is an E-ATX motherboard and among the largest I've ever seen. I have a couple of them which is why I thought of it.

In contrast, if I buy an ATX case I can be reasonably certain that it will accept any and all ATX form factor motherboards I could potentially choose from. It's a ratified standard that motherboard makers and cases adhere to. With E-ATX, it isn't. Sure, you can have a range where an E-ATX motherboard is up to a specific size, but again not all cases that claim E-ATX support will accept all potential E-ATX motherboards. This is because the standard isn't ratified and it's more of a classification that states the board is larger than an ATX motherboard and nothing else.

You run into the same problems with XL-ATX and others for the same reasons. Steve has some good points. However, I will say that I don't entirely agree with him that this is problematic. Simply put, I buy extremely large cases that could handle dual processor motherboards if I'm looking at something for its E-ATX compatibility. I buy larger chassis than I need because they are far more pleasant to work on. Not only that, but I bought my current case with the thinking that I might install a custom water cooling loop in it one day. I actually did that and I'd still have room for a dual-processor Xeon or Epyc motherboard if I wanted one. I understand not everyone might do this, but the old saying goes: "If your going to cut it wrong, cut it long." It applies to cases in that, it's better to go big and not need the extra space than to go smaller and be out of luck.

Even my mini-ITX case is large for its class. Why? Because I avoid issues of motherboards being too big or components not fitting. As a result I never have had to Dremel, cut, saw, or weld on any cases I've owned.

EATX is up to 12 x 13 (I think I said that before?). Case manufactures that say EATX and don't accept up to 12 x 13 are liars. And personally, I wouldn't do business with that manufacturer.

As for weirdos trying to make up their own "in between" standards... well.... there are a lot of strange people in this world. With that said, in the good ole days, before "ranting", the community would have discussions about ATX cases that were just a bit bigger than most and could fit some of the smaller EATX boards (boards that were larger than ATX and less than EATX max size). But it was a community thing, and not a guarantee. If you wanted that larger EATX board, best bet, get an EATX case.

Most of Steve's "weird" rant was about the weirdos. Very very very few point made about the EATX case liars. And certainly he tried to point out messed up descriptions on Amazon (where Steve apparently goes when seeking truth).

Well, that's kind of the problem, right? EATX is supposed to be a standard--300mm^2. But when you see cases that claim EATX support, but then say they support motherboards up to 290mm or 280mm or whatever--and the motherboards aren't all 300mm wide--well, you can't trust what a given vendor calls EATX.

IMHO, what makes sense to me is not that the motherboard manufacturers stick to the exact measurements.

Case manufacturers absolutely have to. If they specify that they are an EATX case, the need to be able to fit everything up to the EATX spec, etc.

For motherboards however, to me the important part is that they fit inside the footprint they are claiming.

So, if they claim to be ATX they should fit inside 305mm x 204mm (~ 12 x 9.6"). Either of the outer dimensions can go smaller if they want to, as long as all the appropriate mounting holes, IO panel and PCIe slots still line up.

Same with EATX. if they claim to be EATX they should fit inside 305mm x 330mm (~ 12 x 13"). Either of the outer dimensions can go smaller if they want to, as long as all the appropriate mounting holes, I/O panel and PCIe slots still line up.

My Gigabyte TRX40 Master motherboard for instance, is speced as an EATX board and measures 305mm x 269mm, so it is larger than an ATX board but smaller than the max EATX spec, and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

Last edited:
Technically, there is no EATX specification. 12" x 13" is just considered the "standard" because SuperMicro was the first to use the form factor and for the most part it stuck.

Technically, there is no EATX specification. 12" x 13" is just considered the "standard" because SuperMicro was the first to use the form factor and for the most part it stuck.

There is a spec, it just goes by a different name.

There are three SSI (Server System Infrastructure) spec sizes.

SSI CEB: 305 x 267 mm (~12 x 10.5")
SSI EEB: 205 x 220 mm (~12 x 13")
SSI MEB: 411 × 330 mm (~16.2 x 13")

CEB is by far the most well known among Ethusiasts, as the name actually made some inroads in Asus and other brands high end motherboards. My old Asus P9x79 WS referred to as SSI CEB form factor.

Supermicro didn't just make up the 12 x 13" form factor. It is SSI EEB. The only reason EATX is different is because the screw holes are in different places. EATX was just a matter of taking the existing server and workstation SSI EEB form factor, and moving the screw holes so they line up with what is expected from ATX boards.

The one most are familliar with is SSI CEB

IMHO, what makes sense to me is not that the motherboard manufacturers stick to the exact measurements.

Case manufacturers absolutely have to. If they specify that they are an EATX case, the need to be able to fit everything up to the EATX spec, etc.

For motherboards however, to me the important part is that they fit inside the footprint they are claiming.

So, if they claim to be ATX they should fit inside 305mm x 204mm (~ 12 x 9.6"). Either of the outer dimensions can go smaller if they want to, as long as all the appropriate mounting holes, IO panel and PCIe slots still line up.

Same with EATX. if they claim to be EATX they should fit inside 305mm x 330mm (~ 12 x 13"). Either of the outer dimensions can go smaller if they want to, as long as all the appropriate mounting holes, I/O panel and PCIe slots still line up.

My Gigabyte TRX40 Master motherboard for instance, is speced as an EATX board and measures 305mm x 269mm, so it is larger than an ATX board but smaller than the max EATX spec, and that is perfectly acceptable to me.
i was actually going to post this vid in your build thread after you post about how tiny your mobo was in the case. it didnt look like a "true" eatx and it is tiny in there.

Im Going to hold back on my opinion of how much I cant stand GN. Eatx has given me zero problems over the years.

If I have to see him flick his feminine flocks back one more time im going to piss my self laughing.

Back