Tech Gone Wrong Story of the Day

Seems like a lot of trouble to replace a $5 set of ear buds, but his little FAQ section was kinda funny.

I think this is really cool, though far to impractical for actual use.

While outside the body mod realm, maybe some "clippable" magnets on the ears, and a coil elsewhere could allow for "wire-free" gaming.

WTF? This is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard. What if those implanted magnets get infected or something?

On the other hand....let natural selection run it's course and it'll all sort itself out.

"it's faint... if I squeeze my ear I can still hear normally... "

then why the hell would you do it? So you can hear a tiny amount of sound in the background?

That said, all his audio knowledge seems like he has no clue on how to have the sound on his youtube video stay consistent.

Was I the only one waiting for something to go wrong? like for him to catch on fire or scream in pain because something bad happened?

Was I the only one waiting for something to go wrong? like for him to catch on fire or scream in pain because something bad happened?

Pretty much, especially since it was "tech gone wrong story of the day".

Why wouldn't you just get hearing aid type ear plugs, modify them and do wireless to the plugs.

I didn't mean the magnets themselves, but the body around them, but...whatever. ;)

On the other hand...if he ever needs an MRI....ouch.

Is there any way I can have my 6-driver per ear custom IEM's implanted into my skull? I'd sooo do it!

I didn't bother listening to the whole video, so I'll ask, has he implanted a rudimentary audio induction loop? If so, he'll be in for an annoying surprise the next time he takes a flight in an airplane.

My old analog hearing aids had the loop (selectable with a switch) and while it worked okay on the old analog phones, if I left it on while walking around I could also detect other magnetic sources. The sounds were, without exception, annoying. The loudest and most annoying were on airplanes.

And the annoying side effect of magnets in your ears, evidently is it keeps your from blinking. damn, he has a thousand yard stare.

That. and it appears to halve your IQ

I didn't bother listening to the whole video, so I'll ask, has he implanted a rudimentary audio induction loop? If so, he'll be in for an annoying surprise the next time he takes a flight in an airplane.

My old analog hearing aids had the loop (selectable with a switch) and while it worked okay on the old analog phones, if I left it on while walking around I could also detect other magnetic sources. The sounds were, without exception, annoying. The loudest and most annoying were on airplanes.

Who would ever think that the magnetic fields in flux aboard a plane above 30,000 feet would cause such an issue :p

...If so, he'll be in for an annoying surprise the next time he takes a flight in an airplane.

Yep. Gotta love that turbine whine. No matter how loud I made the earbuds, I couldn't reduce the volume on the aide enough to let the audio pickup from the headset sound louder than the turbines whirring. One of the many reasons why I absolutely loathe flying.

Telecoil interference does come in handy sometimes. Makes it easier to source mains cables behind the wall. Good 'ol 60Hz hum.

I make my own "t-coil" like pickup by cracking the shell off cheap earbuds, stripping it down to just the magnet and cable, using heatshrink tube cover it all. Lasts longer than the expensive shit, too.

Too bad the guy never said how music sounds with magnetic waves compared to traditional sound waves.

Back