Tech FAIL of the Day CES 2017 Edition

First the Toaster, now this? At this rate we'll have a toilet paper app by 2020.

I can't judge this product. I don't use a brush and I don't have issues with split ends etc. It sounds stupid, but I think you have to survey a lot of women to get an idea of whether this is useful. Me? I'll stick with my comb that cost under a buck.

I can't judge this product. I don't use a brush and I don't have issues with split ends etc. It sounds stupid, but I think you have to survey a lot of women to get an idea of whether this is useful. Me? I'll stick with my comb that cost under a buck.

People with long hair know if their hair's dry. Because they can see and feel that their hair's dry. Same with everything else. And anyone who would drop $200 on a brush is going to be regularly paying a competent hairstylist, who will tell them if they're missing anything.

Does it vibrate or something? I don't get it.
It has sensors it can use to tell your hair condition -- conductivity for moisture, microphone to "hear" breaking/dry/damage, accelerometers/load cells so it can analyze your brushing 'technique' and advise you.

In a world of ubiquitous, cheap computing and pervasive instrumentation, I guess I can see where this would be "innovative". Like, we've got more tech than we know what to do with, so we might as well stick it in places we never thought of and generate metrics for ordinary, everyday bullshit. But "innovative" does not necessarily mean "useful".

And bolting off-the-shelf microphone, force gauge, 6-axis accelerometer, and bluetooth modules to a PIC microcontroller and shoehorning them into a drugstore hairbrush does not a $200 product make.

Great now we're gonna see the hairbrush DDoS.

Don't forget this stupid thing...

Oh nuts, looks like it's getting funded.
I see everything seems to run off batteries and bluetooth... what happens when you leave the house and the batteries die? sue em?

Seriously....

Attachments

• 53592550.jpg
    53592550.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 32
Steve, you failed to mention that this company also came in second with this..

comb.jpg

They also won third place for their smart blow dryer and fourth for their smart nose hair remover but I couldn't find pics of those!! Wow.. this company really innovates!!

First the Toaster, now this? At this rate we'll have a toilet paper app by 2020.

I can do that for you if you want. I'm thinking a toilet paper holder that tracks the rotations per visits, we'll throw some math at it with the app, and give you analytics on your wiping to incourage greener use of tissue! Heck, version two we'll work in a few always-on mics so that we can detect flushes.

Tracking which user it is shouldn't be too difficult, as let's face it, I'm literally typing this on the shitter right now.

Attachments

• 1483726075742180160293.jpg
    1483726075742180160293.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
If you watch the video, the app includes lots of links to expensive personal care items like shampoo and whatever else for a personal care regimin. Like selling this brush for $200 isn't bad enough, they've got to milk the customer for ever.

Last edited:
Don't forget this stupid thing...

I don't know what it costs, but it's not totally useless. Let's say you're cooking something. You don't have an ingredient. Drive to store get stuff, come back grab bags go to unlock the door and oops, you locked your keys in the car. If you have your phone, you can turn off the stove.

But that's about the only time I think this is useful, though not as useful as being able to unlock the door to the car and/or the house ;)

I don't know what it costs, but it's not totally useless. Let's say you're cooking something. You don't have an ingredient. Drive to store get stuff, come back grab bags go to unlock the door and oops, you locked your keys in the car. If you have your phone, you can turn off the stove.

But that's about the only time I think this is useful, though not as useful as being able to unlock the door to the car and/or the house ;)
You could incorporate an infrared camera and/or thermometer and automate the burners to maintain certain food temperatures. Actually, that sounds kind of cool. I guess you still don't need remote connectivity for that though. Maybe tying the stove into a fire alarm system would be handy. Having everything automatically turn off in case of an emergency?

Or...

This could sell to your average joe that knows jack shit about security and wants to DIY smart home everything. This device and company fall victim to several easily mitigated security flaws that are ever present when launching a product on a shoestring budget of $40,000. Hackers attack the company intentionally or the company's average joe employees get email virus which propagates to their servers, and customer's stoves suddenly turn on as a result.

I could envision a dozen other scenarios.

Or the person could not be a dumb ass and use common sense to either turn off the stove or substitute a different ingredient. It has always been taught not to leave a stove on unattended.

You could incorporate an infrared camera and/or thermometer and automate the burners to maintain certain food temperatures.

That's an attractive idea but at this time would require critical user input.
Different materials read different temperatures so there needs to be a emissivity correction factor input by the user. Most things are .95, but some things aren't in a big way.
I heard stainless reads low so I boiled water in a stainless pot, measured the pots temp, 110 deg f. I couldn't get my thermometer emissivity setting low enough to read over 200 degrees, but the pot has a mirror finish so that's another variable needing accounted for.
Down side is if Someone suffers a brain fart, puts oil for deep frying in a stainless pot , sets it for 350, forgets or neglects setting the emissivity factor to stainless, too much excitement.
OTOH, could make the range and leagalese stipulate only particular patented cookware be used on it and be spotless else the responsibility for the fire is on the user.
Some sap would go for it.

I signed up to post a Thank You in another thread and stumbled into this thread while waiting for my post permissions to propagate through the system.

Back