Tech Company to Build Science Ghost Town

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some company plans on building a ghost town, large enough to accommodate 350,000 people, just so they do science experiments there? Wait a minute, isn't this a show on the Sci-Fi channel already?

A Washington-based technology company announced plans Tuesday to build a 20-square-mile model metropolis that would be used to test everything from renewable energy innovations to intelligent traffic systems and next-generation wireless networks.

A Washington-based technology company
I assume the bold part is where the money is actually going to come from. The taxpayer's pockets, perhaps?

hmmm 20 square miles, that's a little less than half of san francisco, that's a big ass experimental city.

Although down the road when they run out of money, imagine renting that out.. largest ever paintball war! or mega hide and seek! :D however it is New Mexico

"Washington-based"

Hey dum-dums, the company is based in Washington, D.C. When you describe a company as "Washington-based," I will assume WA. As a resident, we're tired of having to describe our state as "Washington State" for the thickheaded among us. The name of our state is "Washington" and the name of the federal district is "District of Columbia," often referred to as "Washington, D.C." I'm nitpicking here but holy heck can we get it straight?

speaking of detroit, ever see the cleveland video that end's with "at least were not detroit, were not detroit!"

"Washington-based"

Hey dum-dums, the company is based in Washington, D.C. When you describe a company as "Washington-based," I will assume WA. As a resident, we're tired of having to describe our state as "Washington State" for the thickheaded among us. The name of our state is "Washington" and the name of the federal district is "District of Columbia," often referred to as "Washington, D.C." I'm nitpicking here but holy heck can we get it straight?
Hey dum-dum. I'm from Washington State. Are you saying that the Carlyle Group is based in Washington State? Washington-Based has two connotations unfortunately, one for DC and one for Washington State. Most people prefer to put that connotation on DC..

On news.google.com
Washington-Based Carlyle Group (DC)
Washington-Based Blackboard Inc. (DC)
The Computer Manager Inc. (WA)
Pegasus Global (The one in this article, DC) http://www.pegasusglobalholdings.com, not to be confused with http://www.pegasus-global.com/ (a WA company, businesses consultants)

"Washington-based"

No. People will never get this right.

Don't blame me, I'm just telling you about the nature of humanity. There are just too many people who don't have the brains to handle this correction.

Can you build a "metropolis" capable of housing 350,000 people for $200 million? I would think not as single large buildings in real metropolises can cost more than that much.

On another note: if they do build it, I would love to live there. 20 miles of city streets without another person around? Pure awesome (I've always thought cities would be so much better without all the other people around)! As long as they have a fat internet pipe there. A place like that just screams out to be the set for some post apocalyptic flick too.

Can you build a "metropolis" capable of housing 350,000 people for $200 million? I would think not as single large buildings in real metropolises can cost more than that much.

On another note: if they do build it, I would love to live there. 20 miles of city streets without another person around? Pure awesome (I've always thought cities would be so much better without all the other people around)! As long as they have a fat internet pipe there. A place like that just screams out to be the set for some post apocalyptic flick too.

What if they didn't have internet then? :) Would you still live there without a single person nearby?

I want to live there too. Just let me have my own high rise. I don't mind neighbors then.

What they didn't go into was the underground research bunker that is housed under the citry where they do actual experiments. Just hope they can contain the undead hoard better then Umbrella Corporation...;)

China already has even bigger cities like this. I'm sure they'll be happy to make a bit of money back on their investment building them, just lease the rights to do your experiments there.

What if they didn't have internet then? :) Would you still live there without a single person nearby?

Nope. Internet is the deal breaker. What's that saying: "My goal is to cut myself off from civilization but still be on the internet." Which can be re-framed as "Hell is other people".

I wonder if UPS would make deliveries to a city in the middle of nowhere? "Just leave the package on the park bench at 8th and Main." :p

i would want to live in a town like that,

just think since everyoen is testing products, it will be like testing terabit connection for free.

What are they going to do about security? I guarantee it will get destroyed by idiots if no one lives there. Especially if they build it on the Mexican border...

If they build it anywhere near texas, all the mexicans that build it will end up living there..

It will never be a ghost town.

As long as it has a fridge I can hide in when the nuclear blast goes off I'm happy.

hmmm 20 square miles, that's a little less than half of san francisco, that's a big ass experimental city.

Although down the road when they run out of money, imagine renting that out.. largest ever paintball war! or mega hide and seek! :D however it is New Mexico

Ah...so this is how they are going to get the gov't to pay to house the illegals: In the name of science, free housing with no rent or paperwork!

Please tell me they're going to call it "Eureka".

If it turns out like the fictional town,it would be the last place I'd want to live! Considering all the people there are supposed to be geniuses,there's sure a lot of near disasters.

What has caused people to abandon Detroit?

I would've thought that with people struggling for money, Detroit would be a great place to go and take possession of a vacant property and live rent free?

Is the US Government planning to do some form of regeneration in Detroit or are they pretending that the problem doesnt exist?

Detroit has never been a nice place, even when it was booming. The Federal gov has little to do with restoration, that would be taken care of at the state/county/city level. The state of Michigan has a few problems of late, mostly due to lack of jobs.

What has caused people to abandon Detroit?

I would've thought that with people struggling for money, Detroit would be a great place to go and take possession of a vacant property and live rent free?

Is the US Government planning to do some form of regeneration in Detroit or are they pretending that the problem doesnt exist?

Lack of growth. The automation, as well as decline, of the US auto industry absolutely killed the job market out there. And Detroit never branched out, it was too reliant on the auto industry. Now crime is rampant, with Detroit consistently rated as the most dangerous city in America, giving even those few with jobs a good reason to leave.

In some places it's literally been abandoned; it's so bad in some place it's even being reclaimed by nature.

You ain't lyin. A friend of mine who was there for a conference caught a story in the paper about an old lady being killed and eaten by wolves. She wasn't on the street or hiking or nothin. They got into her house and killed her in her living room. Wolves, man, wolves.

Back