TEC cooled laptop

TheLAWNoob

Limp Gawd
Have a Eurocom Electra 2, aka Clevo W650SJ. Runs loud, so I cut up the back cover and put on a TEC chiller to give it sub ambient intake air.

CPU: i5 4210M locked to 3.1Ghz
GPU: GTX 850M at 1375Mhz 1.2V

IMG_20160611_133542.jpg
IMG_20160611_221041.jpg
IMG_20160611_221120.jpg

Dropped GPU temp by 5C (after 1 hour of NFS 2016). Fan is much quieter. Used to run at full speed and now bout 60%.

No miracles but good enough. I might order a bunch of supplies, make my own GPU heatsink and stuff it in the DVD drive space. Still on the fence though.

Lmfao! Epic rangi mods. Churr bro!

Love it though. See if you can get some appropriately shaped/dimension thin ended heatpipes and remotely mount it..

:)

Stick a few more on there maybe you could turn it into a drone !

J/K

lol, maybe just epoxy a low profile right onto the CPU?

I'd be concerned you're going to dump condensate into the laptop.

I was thinking about TEC coolers the other day. I was thinking is there any reason not to put one on every CPU you want to cool and overclock better besides the cost of buying one? Just put it between the CPU and heatsink, or mount it right to the heatsink. Is that a thing people do? Is it just generally not worth the time and effort?

TECs are not powerful enough to directly cool modern CPUs.

Modern CPU has very high heat density. The 40mm TECs that can sit on top of the CPUs, usually have max rating of 225W. You can use 50% of max rating, or else the temperature difference will be less than 20C.

TECs are not powerful enough to directly cool modern CPUs.

Modern CPU has very high heat density. The 40mm TECs that can sit on top of the CPUs, usually have max rating of 225W. You can use 50% of max rating, or else the temperature difference will be less than 20C.

I see I meant I guess in addition to normal air cooling. Don't remove the fan or anything. Put the cold side on your existing heatsink fan combo. Gives you a few more degrees I guess?

I was also thinking sandwhiching it so on top of your CPU put a peltier, then on top of the peltier put whatever normal cooling setup you had in the first place. The peltier should just help a little bit more right?

Last edited by a moderator:
That was popular back in Pentium 4 era.

The problem with that is you need mod you cooler mount because the additional thickness the TEC adds.

Also, you can't overclock too much. If your CPU draw more than 150W, the TEC will not give you a temperature difference. If you go over 200W, you CPU will run hotter with the TEC.

Furthurmore, TECs are very inefficient. The TEC uses around 200W to cool about 140W. Thus your CPU cooler needs to dissipate 340W in total.

Back