Tearing on 42" 1080i tv

veedubfreak

2[H]4U
Ok long time lurker, first time poster. Finally got my htpc put together from reading up here.

Msi 8500gt - its the passive one with onboard hdmi out and dvi
e2180 @ 2.5ghz
2gb ballistix tracers
7x750gb seagate 7200.1
hauppage 1800 w/ remote
Vista home premium 32.

Whenever im watching dvds that have not been ripped to the rig, just playing through the player, i get tearing across the middle of the screen. I have the resolution set to 1920x1080 and the refresh is 29mhz interlaced. Anyone know what might be going on? 30mhz interlaced and 29 mhz interlaced are the only options for the refresh rate.

On a completely different topic, whats the best all around program for ripping my 300+ dvds to the machine. Dvdfab looks pretty nice as its an all in one program.

BTW, analog cable looks like complete crap on this rig, and i canget the 1800 to pick up my digital feed.

if your tv can't display a native 1920x1080 resolution... you shouldn't be running at that..

if you have a crt, and it can't display 1080p.. then i would drop to 720p or 960... depending on the tv

No its a sony wega 42" widescreen. It supports 1080i, it looks fine when doing anything directly from the hard drive. The only time its an issue is when playing a dvd from the actual media.

i would output only it's native resolution...

if you have a true 1080i lcd... then it should be 1080p as well... you just don't have that many pixels, so it is force to scale the video with sub-par components..

output at 720p, and you'll be much happier... 1080i isn't going to do anything for you but cause problems

OP, try figuring out what exact model sony wega you have, then post that info here.

Back