Teardown of the $2500 Titan RTX Video Card

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Gamers Nexus has an inside look at NVIDIA’s Titan RTX GPU, which managed to score 31,862 (under water and overclocked) in a recent 3DMark Fire Strike test. As expected, the card is virtually identical to the 2080 Ti, aside from the GPU and memory configuration.

The new NVIDIA Titan RTX card deserves some disassembly, and that's what we're doing today. The cooler follows the same design as the 2080 Ti, 2080, and 2070 Founders Edition coolers, except it's been gilded with a champagne finish. The GPU underneath is the TU102, but it's had 4 more SMs enabled over the 2080 Ti and is accompanied by 24GB of GDDR6, rather than 11GB on the 2080 Ti.

So this joke hasn't worn thin yet?
Nope.

nvidia-rtx-2080ti-free-copy-of-space-invaders.jpg

So, the fails on the previous 2080 generation were just really bad chips they tried to salvage by turning off some features, but the chips were really, really bad.

With these cards failing pretty publicly, (previous story) maybe these chips have some flaws that don't show up until they're stressed.

Makes sense; it makes me wonder why we don't see more of these kinds of things from intel or amd; I'm sure they do this with their chips.

Maybe they care more about testing.

I understand you have every reason to complain about the RTX cards having an unacceptable failure rate. The [H] forums have become more like IGN lately. Linux vs MS, Nvidia vs AMD etc...… and it get's petty and juvenile at times, unlike the old days. I have an RTX 2080ti, and haven't had any issues whatsoever, but If I did I would be pissed off beyond imagination, and be posting my feeling on every forum available. But most of these people don't, they're just taking pot shots.​

You're right, in the old days we were petty, juvenile, and willing to put the time into mass shenanigans.

Jesus christ..that thing costs more than mine and my wifes gaming rigs put together....I'm clearly getting old.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
I replaced two $600 cards with a $250 card a couple of years ago, and have better performance, and less heat.

There's no way I'm ever paying $2500 for a video card, lol.

I'm an engineer; most performance per dollar is what keeps you employed; building a system with a $2000 processor, $1000 mobo and $2500 video card will not.

I built a dual processor number cruncher for less than $10k, and it had 2 Xeon 8 core processors, 8 SAS Raid 0 drives and 256GB of memory, lol.

Reactions: STEM
like this

I understand you have every reason to complain about the RTX cards having an unacceptable failure rate. The [H] forums have become more like IGN lately. Linux vs MS, Nvidia vs AMD etc...… and it get's petty and juvenile at times, unlike the old days. I have an RTX 2080ti, and haven't had any issues whatsoever, but If I did I would be pissed off beyond imagination, and be posting my feeling on every forum available. But most of these people don't, they're just taking pot shots.​
OK. Sorry you did not like my answer to your question.

Reactions: nimer
like this
Guess I'm now old enough, I've reached that point...videocards now officially have way more memory than was on my entire hard disk.

Get off my lawn....

My first hard disk (ISA Hard card actually)

Had 20 megabytes. And was hella expensive, but man, not having to swap disks in those double 5 1/4” floppy drives anymore, ad the speed! ;)

NVIDIA should just call this card for what it really is:

"NVIDIA Titan RTX E-Peen Bling Edition Champaign Gold"

You're not a baller unless you order two of them at the same time!

[Edit]

NVIDIA just made Intel look like choir boys in comparison. If you ever felt ripped off by Intel, and then you went on and bought one of these, then you also got morally fisted. Never mind if you got two of them. Burning the fat stacks baby!

The review is already out as well. The Titan RTX is just a 2080 TI with more RAM. Im honestly curious if any multimedia developers would even by this product since they are "The target audience". With the coin crash I'm more confident than ever that the prices on these cards will plummet in 1st quarter dumping. You're in gold plated NES territory buying something like this right now.

Steve Burke ... I like his presentations. You can tell that he really likes what he's doing.

The gold color scheme along with matching gold screws ... definitely worth a $2500.00 price tag.

Last edited:
NVIDIA should just call this card for what it really is:

"NVIDIA Titan RTX E-Peen Bling Edition Champaign Gold"

You're not a baller unless you order two of them at the same time!

[Edit]

NVIDIA just made Intel look like choir boys in comparison. If you ever felt ripped off by Intel, and then you went on and bought one of these, then you also got morally fisted. Never mind if you got two of them. Burning the fat stacks baby!

YoLo!
27521950-4730-4319-871A-C87B0247E13D.jpeg

But really it’s a tax deduction for one of my businesses.

Back