TEAMGROUP C175 128GB 2 Pack USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.1/3.0) USB Flash Thumb Drives $20.99

Can't find any direct reviews. Write speeds are going to be slow (~10MB/s), but read should be fine.

Seems to have some mixed reviews showing 40MB/s+ write speeds too. Well at that price for 2 and the capacity, it's hard to go wrong. Still will use my Sandisk Extremes, but these may make good high capacity spares.

Tempting, basically half price compared to Samsung 128gb drives which are some of the fastest I've found lately.

$13 for a usb c sata enclosure and an old 128gb SSD? i slapped a used ebay 3.4b sata SSD in mine. i get a consistent 80-90 MBs writes. i grabbed that same san disk 128 once or twice on sale as well.

I got a pair of these and I opened one to try it out. I had an issue after trying to copy some large files to it, it disconnected during the write. I checked some files on it and they were corrupt. So I reformatted via win 10 and it made it exFAT like usual but it failed to format, it disconnected itself again. So I got out a fat32 formatting tool and used 32k clusters and I no longer had issues. Very weird. As far as writes go I would get bursts of 125 MB/s followed by pauses and slower writes (like 4 KB/s-400KB/s) then it would repeat. Kind of like it filled up some internal cache then emptying it and repeating till it was done. Overall not a bad deal for 2 USB Sticks of this size. Still not sure why it was disconnecting when it was using exFAT which is the default in Win10.

I got a pair of these and I opened one to try it out. I had an issue after trying to copy some large files to it, it disconnected during the write. I checked some files on it and they were corrupt. So I reformatted via win 10 and it made it exFAT like usual but it failed to format, it disconnected itself again. So I got out a fat32 formatting tool and used 32k clusters and I no longer had issues. Very weird. As far as writes go I would get bursts of 125 MB/s followed by pauses and slower writes (like 4 KB/s-400KB/s) then it would repeat. Kind of like it filled up some internal cache then emptying it and repeating till it was done. Overall not a bad deal for 2 USB Sticks of this size. Still not sure why it was disconnecting when it was using exFAT which is the default in Win10.
I formatted one of mine with NTFS and copied a couple of media files, 500MB and 2GB and did a burst of 100+MB/sec and then did around 30MB/s for the rest of the write in chunks, write some, pause, write some, pause, etc... till it was done.

I haven't tried the second one yet, but so far this first drive is complete and utter junk. It does nothing but keep disconnecting itself on read or write pretty much randomly. And once it does disconnect itself it corrupts the data on the drive that your successfully wrote and tested on it previously. I am going to have to try the second one hopefully one of them is actually usable and only one is a dud.

At this point I'm only interested in dual A/C ported thumb drives. Dongles suck and laptops are increasingly C only.

Just for a follow up. It looks like the issue with these drives is the USB 3.x controller inside. Both drives disconnect randomly when in a USB 3.x port. But it seems to be working ok in a USB 2.0 port. One drive works better in the USB3 port, it still disconnects itself randomly, but at least it doesn't corrupt the data on the drive (except the file it is writing at the time). The other drive is a completely useless in a USB3 port, it disconnects randomly then corrupts other files on the drive. But now that I tried just writing to it start to finish with zeros via a surface writing tool in HDSentinel, no disconnecting at all for the like 4 hours it was writing, but only in a USB2 port. It disconnected in like 2 minutes in a USB3 port. So if you have these drives, be careful about using it in a USB3 port.

Just for a follow up. It looks like the issue with these drives is the USB 3.x controller inside. Both drives disconnect randomly when in a USB 3.x port. But it seems to be working ok in a USB 2.0 port. One drive works better in the USB3 port, it still disconnects itself randomly, but at least it doesn't corrupt the data on the drive (except the file it is writing at the time). The other drive is a completely useless in a USB3 port, it disconnects randomly then corrupts other files on the drive. But now that I tried just writing to it start to finish with zeros via a surface writing tool in HDSentinel, no disconnecting at all for the like 4 hours it was writing, but only in a USB2 port. It disconnected in like 2 minutes in a USB3 port. So if you have these drives, be careful about using it in a USB3 port.
I have that issue with 2 Adata 64gb drives. One is shown in winders, but disconnects within 1 minute. The 2nd one is not even recognized. I've been fighting with Adata for replacements as they both have 5 year warranties and both failed within 2 years.
I thought the Teamgroup drives were a deal for the price. I got both of mine and they work great thus far.

Back