Team Group Successfully Develops Consumer-Grade DDR5 Memory, Begins Validation

erek

[H]F Junkie
"It is expected that consumers will not need to enter BIOS to enable the overclocking function as the DDR5 generation begins. After installing DDR5 memory, consumers can directly boot up their computers and experience the high performance without the overclocking step of DDR4. The powerful advantages of faster DDR5 will be instantly demonstrated and consumers will be able to effortlessly enjoy the extreme speed brought by the new generation."

1608019136609.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/275964/...-consumer-grade-ddr5-memory-begins-validation

Kiss memory overclocking goodbye just like the way CPU overclocking has gone.
and GPU overclocking too.

are they going to institute dithered performance improvements through some DLSS-like technologies across all sub-systems? Memory, CPU, and GPU? nothin'll be rendered @Native once all the trickery becomes defaults?

Kiss memory overclocking goodbye just like the way CPU overclocking has gone.
Memory overclocking hasn't really been a thing in recent times. You rarely get much more the advertised speeds unless you pump in the voltage.

I feel lost in most of those reaction, from what I understand XMB profile on that generation will be at default on instead of at default off, right ? With more confidence that it will always work unlike today (or the ability to find after a couple of try a sub working profil).

And yes we can expect overclocking to be more and more backing in products that are more well binned (CPU, GPU, memory) and have less performance wasted on the table, if competition can continue to be strong everywhere.

Overclocking is fun (although RAM overclocking is a bit of a pain), but the ability to get the maximum out of any product out of the box is fantastic. If DDR5 delivers this, it’s a major win.
Goal is what matters at the end of the day - performance. If it's got it, it's got it. Once we work out the bugs, of course :p

"It is expected that consumers will not need to enter BIOS to enable the overclocking function as the DDR5 generation begins. After installing DDR5 memory, consumers can directly boot up their computers and experience the high performance without the overclocking step of DDR4. The powerful advantages of faster DDR5 will be instantly demonstrated and consumers will be able to effortlessly enjoy the extreme speed brought by the new generation."

As long as the DDR5 system is able to avoid can't boot problems (automatically handling lesser stability issues too would be nice, but as long as it doesn't crash on boot you can manually turn down the speed in the BOS) from trying to run crazy fast ram in a system only intended to support minimum jedec specs, automatically loading the high speed timings instead of requiring the user to open BIOS and explicitly chose the XMP option is a good thing. One less fiddly step to accidentally forget about when building a new system is always good.

Memory overclocking hasn't really been a thing in recent times. You rarely get much more the advertised speeds unless you pump in the voltage.
wrong. what are you talking about? laptops? dude, my Balistix (micron e-die) is xmp rated at 3200 mhz and i've been running it at 3666 for over a year now and the oc is solid as a rock thanks to 1usmus.

and memory oc'ing is the best way to get performance gains on the ryzen platform. and who cares if you have to up the voltage? when all memory has to conform to the JEDEC spec of (for DDR4) 1.45v then that means if you buy memory spec'd to run at XXXXmhz @ 1.3v then you know you got some oc'ing head room.

do you really think you are like saving the planet or any money on your monthly electric bill by not adding 0.05v to your ram voltage? just wondering.
[H]

I just now upgraded from DDR3, guess I'll see DDR5 in ~10 years or so
best to let it mature a little bit anyway. they say this is gonna give us a massive boost in performance, but they say that every generation. so far we just get latencies that increase almost linear w/ clockspeed it seems.

but like always, good things come to those that wait.

team group does't make chips. possibly its SK hynix.
or probably micron. they've been on the forefront of ddr5 tech for a while and had some kind of early adopter promotion for manufacturers a little while back if i remember correctly. but who knows?

or probably micron. they've been on the forefront of ddr5 tech for a while and had some kind of early adopter promotion for manufacturers a little while back if i remember correctly. but who knows?
It's been posted that SK hynix has working ddr5 now and a previous parter with team group - so that's why it's my first guess.

Are there DDR 5 mb's? or is this like the motherboards that were compatible with DDR2 and DDR3?

best to let it mature a little bit anyway. they say this is gonna give us a massive boost in performance, but they say that every generation. so far we just get latencies that increase almost linear w/ clockspeed it seems.

What we always get is enough headroom to keep scaling CPU performance (first clockspeed, now core counts) without hitting bandwidth bottleneck walls. 4 vs 5 won't make a big diference on transitional generation systems that can support either; but will let next generation ones grow beyond the point that DDR4 would have strangled them without needing to increase costs by adding additional channels.

I think that an illusion caused by the fact we look so much at latency in clock cycle instead of looking at the actual nanosecond latency (or maybe I do not understand latency presentation much).

Latency (in nanosecond) first word / 4th word / 8th word, using some of the lowest latency kit made of the past

SD Ram: 20.00 / 50.00 / 90.00
DDR...: 10.00 / 17.50 / 27.50
DDR2..: 07.50 / 10.31 / 14.06
DDR3..: 07.74 / 08.71 / 10.36

DDR4- 4800 with CAS-19 is around 7.92/8.54/9.38, 4600 CAS 18 is 7.82 / 8.48 / 9.35, I think quite fast CAS-14 kit are coming to be something people can buy as well and I imagine all around lower latency than DDR3 got or at least not higher latencies.

A latency of 14 clock cycle, when the clock cycle are 1 / 2,000,000,000 of a second long can be faster than one of 4 clock cycle when those are 1 / 500,000,000 of a second, but when we read the sticker feel has if they increased.

I would expect the same to occur here, latency in cycle growing a little bit slower than the frequency at least by the end of the DDR5 cycle versus DDR4, having in ns a little bit less latency with much more bandwidth by 2023-2024, but not at first like for the previous shift (it could be a first too, who knows).

Fast CL-14 I mentioned that I thought I saw being announced:
https://www.techpowerup.com/274708/...r4-4000-c14-memory-for-ryzen-5000-series-cpus

That would be a 7 nanosecond first word latency all around ultra low latency by any DDR standard on PC history I think.

Last edited:
new socket, new memory controller, new chipsets, zen4 - next year.
I still have my fingers crossed we get a Zen3+ and AM5 in 2021. Zen4 is slated for 2022. They're on an 18-month cycle.

Things will get real for AMD if that pans out. But a 6-month shift would be pretty unheard of.

That or Alder Lake, that’s supposedly mid-2021, supposedly it is also in Validation Testing. Would make sense to test memory alongside it.

though if AMD wanted to release DDR5 support for the yet to be announced Threadripper’s I would not be sad

Last edited:
I'm not sure how your second sentence validates the first. Overclocking has almost always involved raising voltage.

I think that an illusion caused by the fact we look so much at latency in clock cycle instead of looking at the actual nanosecond latency (or maybe I do not understand latency presentation much).

Latency (in nanosecond) first word / 4th word / 8th word, using some of the lowest latency kit made of the past

SD Ram: 20.00 / 50.00 / 90.00
DDR...: 10.00 / 17.50 / 27.50
DDR2..: 07.50 / 10.31 / 14.06
DDR3..: 07.74 / 08.71 / 10.36

DDR4- 4800 with CAS-19 is around 7.92/8.54/9.38, 4600 CAS 18 is 7.82 / 8.48 / 9.35, I think quite fast CAS-14 kit are coming to be something people can buy as well and I imagine all around lower latency than DDR3 got or at least not higher latencies.

A latency of 14 clock cycle, when the clock cycle are 1 / 2,000,000,000 of a second long can be faster than one of 4 clock cycle when those are 1 / 500,000,000 of a second, but when we read the sticker feel has if they increased.

I would expect the same to occur here, latency in cycle growing a little bit slower than the frequency at least by the end of the DDR5 cycle versus DDR4, having in ns a little bit less latency with much more bandwidth by 2023-2024, but not at first like for the previous shift (it could be a first too, who knows).

Fast CL-14 I mentioned that I thought I saw being announced:
https://www.techpowerup.com/274708/...r4-4000-c14-memory-for-ryzen-5000-series-cpus

That would be a 7 nanosecond first word latency all around ultra low latency by any DDR standard on PC history I think.
well i've posted this white paper before, https://www.micron.com/-/media/clie...r/ddr5_more_than_a_generational_update_wp.pdf
but it seems one of the biggest features is gonna be the fact that each stick is gonna be dual channel which ,depending on the system, can go up to 16 channels, which from what they are saying is gonna be a huge benefit to the many-core cpu's that are becoming the new standard. if you open that link do a ctrl-f and search " Protocol Features for Performance " or just scroll down to page 4. interesting stuff. this may be the biggest boost in memory performance since DDR? and being that Ryzen love's memory performance, it's gonna be exciting times coming to computer tech in the next couple years!? guess we'll have to wait and see...

Back