Team Group 2TB SSD $109

Thanks op - It's a good time for picking up 2 TB SSDs (NON NVME)

Amazon as well has several options for around that price, including prime shipping.

LEVEN JS600 SSD 2TB 3D NAND SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - 6 Gb/s, 2.5 inch /7mm (0.28") - up to 560MB/s - Retail 1 Pack https://a.co/d/dnv1UXi -$105.99​

Silicon Power 2TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC Cache Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive (SP002TBSS3A55S25) https://a.co/d/hZdFIQX -$109.99 - yup a 2 TB SLC drive for $110. Fantastic.

Timetec 2TB SSD 3D NAND QLC SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch 7mm (0.28") Read Speed Up to 550 MB/s SLC Cache Performance Boost Internal Solid State Drive for PC Computer Desktop and Laptop (2TB) https://a.co/d/gNBAELY -$109.99

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If that drive doesn’t have any DRAM it’s junk and you don’t want it. I think I have that same drive in a 1TB size and I have a 1GB AT&T fiber internet connection, and it can’t even keep up with writing while downloading games from Steam. Compared to my other SSDs and NVME's that download at full tilt without any slowdown or pauses.
If you look at it in Windows 10 drive performance manager it’s performance is staggered heavily. It’ll write full speed and then stop, and then write full speed and stop, the performance chart looks like a pulse width modulation chart. The steam download speed goes UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN as the built in cache is filled and emptied. It basically pauses writes while it catches up. I wouldn’t buy it again regardless of price. None of my other SSDs or NVMEs do this. Their advertising specifically says it's for beginners. Who knows what that means, but I'd clearly say it isn't for enthusiasts who know their hardware and are keen on performance. Maybe mine is defective, but it's done this since new and has no health errors recorded in the SMART sensor. It seems to be fine for sustained reads, and about the speed you'd expect from a SATA SSD. So I guess if you wanted a cheap game drive, and didn't mind waiting a bit longer to install the game. I'd just pay a bit more and get one with better caching.
Also the only SSD I had fail in the last 10 years was a team group SSD. I’m not fond of the brand. RMA went pretty smoothly though to be fair and they did replace it pretty easily and pain free.

Edit: confirmed - yeah that’s the drive I have. It’s junk. Stay away
1660922455288.png

Last edited:
If that drive doesn’t have any DRAM it’s junk and you don’t want it.

I'm not saying this drive isn't junk but drives without DRAM can perform great. Look at the SN770, just depends on the controller and how things are configured.

When are they gunna come out with a Capt. Data Crunch - OOPS, All SLC CACHE drive?

OT, anyone hate the new Google redesign? What a piece of ****.

When are they gunna come out with a Capt. Data Crunch - OOPS, All SLC CACHE drive?

OT, anyone hate the new Google redesign? What a piece of ****.
Never. There is no reason for a SATA drive either. The cost to value is stupid for a SLC SATA drive.

Buy Micron/Crucial, Samsung, Seagate, SK Hynix, Toshiba/Kioxia, or Western Digital/Hitachi. So many good drives to choose from that are made by companies who know what they're doing. Anything else isn't worth the risk.

Traded away a lot of random crap I had lying around to build my friend a respectable PC on a budget of zero dollars. Started out with a Sandy bridge motherboard paired with a i7-3770, then went from there.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor Traded for GTX 750 Ti
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard Traded for GTX 750 Ti
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Harvested from his previous PC
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory Traded Radeon R7 360
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Harvested from my previous PC
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Harvested from his previous PC
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card Sold a used GTX 1070 Ti that was originally going into this PC, bought new a RTX 3060 instead. Pocketed about $100 profit
Case: Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case traded for Corsair CX500 PSU
Power Supply: EVGA K1 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Harvested from my dad's old PC
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer Harvested from his previous PC

Plot-twist: he doesn't even use it. A lot of wasted effort.
Wrong thread I think :).

Last edited:
IMO DRAM I think is important for a boot drive. Random I/O boost for the OS. But for a secondary drive that's for storage or a steam drive. I wouldn't miss it. I ran a hard drive for Steam up until this build and never was annoyed enough that I had to retrofit that machine. I just waiting until I built this machine and as of 2021 now have SSD for everything.

Off the top of my head, DRAM acts as a cache and will store the drive's mapping data, like an index of where files and such are physically located. DRAM-less SSDs store this mapping data directly on the NAND flash or on your system's memory (e.g. Host Memory Buffer) which is slower and will put additional wear on the drive due to caching directly on the NAND flash.

For average Joe daily driver use, I've had a mixture of SSDs that are both DRAM-less (SN550 Blue) and have DRAM (SN850 Black), I'd never notice the difference in loading behaviors without a stop watch or running a synthetic benchmark. I'd imagine prosumers will have a different take on this where endurance (i.e. longevity) actually matters.

Off the top of my head, DRAM acts as a cache and will store the drive's mapping data, like an index of where files and such are physically located. DRAM-less SSDs store this mapping data directly on the NAND flash or on your system's memory (e.g. Host Memory Buffer) which is slower and will put additional wear on the drive due to caching directly on the NAND flash.

For average Joe daily driver use, I've had a mixture of SSDs that are both DRAM-less (SN550 Blue) and have DRAM (SN850 Black), I'd never notice the difference in loading behaviors without a stop watch or running a synthetic benchmark. I'd imagine prosumers will have a different take on this where endurance (i.e. longevity) actually matters.
I think the only people that may ever notice it is folks doing video work and are constantly scrubbing back and forth in a file. But I agree with you, I don't think most folks would notice on an average workload.

Shame it's only 2TB, I like to get at least a 4TB 2.5 SSD for bulk files for my laptop, I already have 2 gen3 nvme sticks, a 512GB WD for the OS that came stock and a 2TB MicroCenter brand for my game drive.
I don't think I would care about the performance since I'm currently using a 2TB 5400rpm HDD in that bay.

$89.99 today Nov. 3 with Prime.
F Amazon, someone got them to restrict my account after I asked a question they didn't like, so they dug into my review history and claimed I was selling reviews. Their customer service refused to even do anything about it so AFAIC they lost a customer, shame Newegg doesn't ship to GENERAL DELIVERY.

Yeah, bit of a difference. I wonder how much one of those would cost.
You can find old enterprise SLC for cheap if you look in the right places. It's no speed winner, but the endurance is ridiculously good.

Never. There is no reason for a SATA drive either. The cost to value is stupid for a SLC SATA drive.
For new SLC, it's going to be killer expensive but used drives can be quite cheap. I remember a thread on here about the 6.4TB drives for like $150 or something ridiculous like that a few years back. They run hot and can't boot, but are awesome 'just storage' drives.

Holy crap...
You said that right--levin? Like the stuff you use in bread? Or as in Leavin'? As in I'll be Leavin' once I sell these cheap drives, lol.

The amazong cheap crap is for the most part, cheap crap. The good thing is that prices will continue to come down so I think sub $100 for 2TB will be the standard sometime this year even on quality drives. :)

F Amazon, someone got them to restrict my account after I asked a question they didn't like, so they dug into my review history and claimed I was selling reviews. Their customer service refused to even do anything about it so AFAIC they lost a customer, shame Newegg doesn't ship to GENERAL DELIVERY.
What MFs--you spent your time to write reviews and they want to punish you for that? What serious MFs...

They're great for the price. Their durability (TBW) is better than other budget drives in the same price range.
Yeah, I am genuinely impressed by the durability, too. Especially for the price. I'm mulling one over just for a storage drive. I don't need it, but I will keep watching these and see if they keep falling in price. These go below a 100 bucks I think it's a mandatory purchase.

I didn't even think about it but this would be an excellent replacement for my server's boot drive which is an old school SATA SSD... Damn me and my eternal upgrade projects!

Back